What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:16 am

I got a Wahl 20 piece set back in 2012. I didn't get it on Amazon so I'm not sure how much it cost, but it looks like you can get the same thing (except now in a cordless version) for $40, which can't be much more than I paid for mine.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:32 am

Dieter wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:02 pm
GT wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:02 pm
Not sure if this has already been talked about … Hair Growth during the lock down.

Weeks since my last hair cut

If the shutdown keeps going I cant decide between the full blown 70's news anchor
Ron Burgundy - Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJ1K0_JzFI

or the man bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITFeGP1TXk

Maybe I can score an old flowbee off ebay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhyJ0_ahZKk
Debating getting a Mullet when things open to again.

Some nostalgia best left forgot, but maybe for a little while...

(Aka, growing out at this time -- currently at crazy older grey haired man look. Need me hats for any out / visual time).
Ah the mullet - Grow it out - Blame the shutdown - you can always cut it off when this is over
Just don't go to Walmart - you don't want to end up on the "Walmart hair styles 2020" internet pictures edition
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:43 pm
GT wrote:
Not sure if this has already been talked about … Hair Growth during the lock down.

If the shutdown keeps going I cant decide between the full blown 70's news anchor

Maybe I can score an old flowbee off ebay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhyJ0_ahZKk
If you don't already have one, buy a Wahl clipper on Amazon. You can even do it yourself in front of a mirror if you live alone.
Wife ordered hair trimmers /scissors from Amazon - I guess she did not like the thought of the man bon
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am

GT wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am
MangoMan wrote:
GT wrote:

If you don't already have one, buy a Wahl clipper on Amazon. You can even do it yourself in front of a mirror if you live alone.
Wife ordered hair trimmers /scissors from Amazon - I guess she did not like the thought of the man bon
Better than a Nick Nolte O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:05 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am
GT wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am
MangoMan wrote:
GT wrote:

Better than a Nick Nolte O0
- there would definitely be some social distancing in my household if I tried to pull off the Hawaiian Shirt Nolte
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Hey, the shirt is the most together part of that photo.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm

l82start wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:43 pm
It seems that free weights are actually a cardiovascular form of exercise in that that they also strengthen the heart. I believe I read this in Rippitoe's book.
Vinny
I'm a huge fan of Mark Rippetoe and have read his books and been to his seminars and bought his equipment, but...
I think he's stretching credibility with the "barbell's provide all the cardio you need schtick." I do agree that you don't need much cardio, and cardio trains up fast, but barbells aren't going to give it to you.

If I want to walk up hills without breathing hard, I have to walk up hills.
i am not familiar with his claims but from what i have read, strength training done properly to momentary muscle failure across the major muscle groups will produce equal or better cardiovascular results with far less strain/wear and tear and injury risk than any cardio exercise. For a good read on the science of strength training, try DR Doug Mcguff 's book "body by science"..
Many thanks for letting me know about this book!

As I initially responded I did quickly buy the book and it came shortly after. But I put as a first priority to finish ALL the library books I'd taken out of two libraries around mid-winter. If I kept reading any of my books I'd never finish them.

Earlier tonight I finally finished the final one and the Body by Science book was the first book of my own that I chose to read.

It was one of those books that only a few pages into it I knew that it was going to be a book of substance.

When I read that they preferred Nautilus machines for the exercises I was disappointed as my reaction was, "I'm not going anywhere to exercise....but I'll still read the rest of the book to see if I can get anything of value out of it."

However, I was thrilled beyond measure when it stated if it isn't possible to go to a commercial gym..."....consider purchasing a power rack and an Olympic barbell set and training at home."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what I already have at home. NOTHING to purchase.

Then I was again totally thrilled to see that "The Big Five" exercises to do using barbells were my basic four that I already do plus one that I do not! Only one new exercise to learn to do (Bent-Over Barbell Row) and it seemed fairly easy to learn.

I was so devouring this book that I quickly read over half of it.

You may have a convert!

To do all the necessary exercise in 12 minutes a week compared to the 8 to 9 hours I spent over three mornings would mean I'd have a lot more time to do other things.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 am
Actually we get a fair amount thanks to skylights. But we don't have a yard to speak of.
Of course taking this somewhat on a tangent.....but for people who love their skylights how does that affect their decision to "go solar"? I assume if it covers those skylights then they don't produce like they normally would with nothing on top of them?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:35 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:29 am
Doesn't [muscular atrophy] happen within days and, certainly within a week? Like you I'm doing it three times a week with half rack and Olympic weights (albert in my living room!).
No, I really don't think a week away from weights is long enough to cause muscular atrophy.

In fact, several times when I've taken a week off of strength training, I was stronger when I resumed since the week off gave my body more time to recover from the previous workouts.

But in general, I agree that consistency is important in strength training since it reinforces habit and avoids going down the slippery slope of rationalizing the skipping of more and more workouts.
As I am now learning in the Body Science book!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 pm
With all this weight lifting talk, just curious: Who here has lost or gained more than 3 pounds? I consider 2 lbs to be insignificant due to salt intake variation and whether or not a recent poop has taken place,
March 17th was the last day I've been off my property. Do my daily weights and fluctuations support what you believe?

I've kept up my three times a week exercises but unless I'm working outside on my property little movement otherwise besides these fingers.
Normally I'd be doing some walking around during the day and playing basketball two nights a week and, at this time of year, engaging in softball practices.

Vinny
UPDATE:

Looks like in the last 10 weeks I could have lost 9 pounds depending upon how you view my start...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.71 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:17 pm
I am the proverbial "hard gainer"and the classic ectomorph. I plateaued years and years ago on the exercises that I do. Adding 5 pounds to any of them is a MAJOR accomplishment. However, since I'm in the age group of more rapid phase of losing muscle mass potential just staying at a plateau should probably be viewed as victory.
Absolutely. My dad has always been an avid cyclist, and after retirement he started cycling a lot more and is now very skinny. I'm sure his heart is in great health, but it seems like he's probably missing out on the benefits of having a good base of muscle mass and bone density with which to defend against sarcopenia and osteopenia. Avoiding heart attacks is great, but it's also good to be able to get up from the toilet and not shatter your hip if you fall down!

Regarding your being a "hard gainer," that topic comes up frequently in the strength training community -- and especially in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength community, which I know you're familiar with. The prevailing view there seems to be that "hard gainers" usually just aren't eating enough surplus calories to shift their bodies into anabolism.

In the extreme case of really skinny 18-year-old guys who complain of not being able to gain much strength, Rippetoe tells them to drink a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD) on top of what they're already eating. For less extreme cases, and for older people, he acknowledges that GOMAD is probably a bad idea. But the general concept of shifting to a caloric surplus seems like pretty universal advice for "hard gainers."
The Body Science (as does Rippetoe's book) makes the case that strength training is far more beneficial for the heart than is cardio.

My anecdotal evidence seems to support that.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 pm
The Body Science (as does Rippetoe's book) makes the case that strength training is far more beneficial for the heart than is cardio.

My anecdotal evidence seems to support that.
Funny you should mention this. The other day I decided to measure my blood pressure and heart rate. My blood pressure was normal (as it usually is), but my heart rate was a surprisingly low 55 bpm.

Before I started strength training about 6 months ago, I don't think my measured resting heart rate had ever been below 60 bpm, even when I was young.

I've never been a huge fan of cardio exercise like jogging or cycling, so I suspect this is the best condition my heart has ever been in.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 am

l82start wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 am
vnatale wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm

i am not familiar with his claims but from what i have read, strength training done properly to momentary muscle failure across the major muscle groups will produce equal or better cardiovascular results with far less strain/wear and tear and injury risk than any cardio exercise. For a good read on the science of strength training, try DR Doug Mcguff 's book "body by science"..
Many thanks for letting me know about this book!

As I initially responded I did quickly buy the book and it came shortly after. But I put as a first priority to finish ALL the library books I'd taken out of two libraries around mid-winter. If I kept reading any of my books I'd never finish them.

Earlier tonight I finally finished the final one and the Body by Science book was the first book of my own that I chose to read.

It was one of those books that only a few pages into it I knew that it was going to be a book of substance.

When I read that they preferred Nautilus machines for the exercises I was disappointed as my reaction was, "I'm not going anywhere to exercise....but I'll still read the rest of the book to see if I can get anything of value out of it."

However, I was thrilled beyond measure when it stated if it isn't possible to go to a commercial gym..."....consider purchasing a power rack and an Olympic barbell set and training at home."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what I already have at home. NOTHING to purchase.

Then I was again totally thrilled to see that "The Big Five" exercises to do using barbells were my basic four that I already do plus one that I do not! Only one new exercise to learn to do (Bent-Over Barbell Row) and it seemed fairly easy to learn.

I was so devouring this book that I quickly read over half of it.

You may have a convert!

To do all the necessary exercise in 12 minutes a week compared to the 8 to 9 hours I spent over three mornings would mean I'd have a lot more time to do other things.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Vinny
glad you liked it... lots of great information in there..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

l82start wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 am
glad you liked it... lots of great information in there..
[/quote]

I later read reviews of the book which prompted me to then buy this one:

The Body By Science Question and Answer Book

https://www.amazon.com/The-Body-By-Scie ... l_huc_item

Generally as a Super Frugal I try to buy all my books cheap (generally in used condition).

However, this case I made my high value / investment exception and spent the $25 for it!

Vinny
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

that looks good ... added to wish list..

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm
that looks good ... added to wish list..
Finished reading Body Science tonight.

Next step is to reread it much more slowly in a studying fashion with an eye for implementation.

How much do you do of what the book proscribes?

Vinny
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm

i am (in hiatus :-[ ) doing the body weight version of this*. i follow it as closely as i can, my biggest difficulty is tracking, i have mostly gone it by feel, i suspect that charting reps etc. would give even better results.. the important part is good form, slow reps, and making it difficult {NOT EASY} by avoiding all the cheats like using momentum..

and resting sufficiently.. when you work out on each exercise to the point of momentary muscle failure 12 or so minutes of exercise can give you a worked muscle feeling that can last a week. recovery time is necessary

* "project kratos" another good book

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am

Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months. This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.

The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind. All I have to do is avoid sugar and grains, and keep a lid on starchy foods like potatoes and squash.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am
Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months.
The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind.
Congratulations!
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months. This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.

The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind. All I have to do is avoid sugar and grains, and keep a lid on starchy foods like potatoes and squash.
Nice! Congrats.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 pm

WiseOne wrote:
This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.
Is it a treadle? I sewed my first shirt on a treadle that I helped my mom restore when I was about 10. I still prefer them for the fine tuned control and torque. The motorized sewing machines feel like driving a car with an automatic transmission.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm
How much do you do of what the book proscribes?
Vinny
You're a trouble maker and a rebel, Vinny.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 pm
WiseOne wrote:
This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.
Is it a treadle? I sewed my first shirt on a treadle that I helped my mom restore when I was about 10. I still prefer them for the fine tuned control and torque. The motorized sewing machines feel like driving a car with an automatic transmission.
It's electric with a foot pedal. Not quite as old as I thought (it's a 1964 600E) but it is still a beauty. It weighs about 3x as much as a modern machine, so you know it's made with quality parts. I cleaned and oiled it, and it's working perfectly except for one stuck lever. I found youtube videos for it so I might be able to fix it myself.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am
It's electric with a foot pedal. Not quite as old as I thought (it's a 1964 600E) but it is still a beauty. It weighs about 3x as much as a modern machine, so you know it's made with quality parts. I cleaned and oiled it, and it's working perfectly except for one stuck lever. I found youtube videos for it so I might be able to fix it myself.
What a fun project. Tactile, mental and a visceral connection to your family. Those are things worth doing.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 pm

Just because it's late on a holiday weekend and WiseOne has me reminiscing.

I do miss my uncle, my mom's brother. Otherwise known as the greatest man that ever lived.

When I was a kid, my mom sent me to live with him for a few summers because she said that my step-dad would never be able to teach me to be a man.

I remember one evening, my uncle and my mom were having a sewing contest of some sort. I don't remember the details. I said something stupid like, "You're sewing? I thought only women sewed?". My uncle looked me squarely in the eye and said, "That's right. Only women sew. Men build stuff. Come here, I'm going to show you how to build a shirt."

The next day he showed me how to build a pumpkin pie.

And, later, through the years, he showed me how to build a ski boat and how to build a roadster and how to build a beehive and how to stock it with wild bees and how to build a house and how to break a horse and how to build pruno and how to drive a stick shift...

Then I didn't see him for about twenty years while I got lost in growing up and raising my own family. In 1993, he called me up and said that I should come visit him because it would be better if he were alive during the visit. Then he showed me how to insert a catheter so that he could urinate - and he said, "You need to see this. It's important that you don't go down this road."

He died three days after I left. I didn't go the funeral. There was nothing that I needed from the rest of the family.

I still build stuff. Even my mom doesn't know my uncle's pumpkin pie recipe. But I do.