Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 am

OMG!

Last edited by pp4me on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Every knee shall, every tongue confess

Post by pp4me » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 am
I'm sorry, what are we looking at here?
Nancy Pelosi and company "taking a knee" somewhere in congress.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 am

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 am
I'm sorry, what are we looking at here?
I can imagine them taking a knee in a slightly different fashion, in November.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:45 am

I was really looking forward to opening day of football season this year because we now have a new quarterback named Tom Brady.

Now it looks like opening day is probably going to be all about this again.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:50 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am
I can't even.... what is happening in this country???
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Would it have been better on a kneeler in a pew? So what’s the big deal? Were there any republicans doing the same? Is killing a guy by kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes partisan somehow in this screwed up world?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 pm

The thing is that statistically speaking the police kill more white criminals than they do black criminals, and yet the media only ever tell us about the black criminals that get killed. So, the whole thing is based on a lie. Can anyone imagine why they would tell us this lie? I can . . . the Democrats benefit when we are racially divided. Bingo, that's it. Nevermind that the country suffers when we are divided. All that matters is that the Democrats benefit.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm

I don't think it's partisan at all..it's just amazing and disappointing to me how now "everyone's got to do it". Like somehow this is the only, and most important issue in the world.

The officers have been arrested and charged. The system is processing it. Great, move on.

Instead, it somehow goes without saying that all white people (and police) are racist. Against blacks, but not anyone else of course! The only oppression in the world is of blacks, and we don't need any data to inform the discussion, it just "is". The police in MN killed him because they're racist.

I've gotten emails from all the VPs in my company about how we all know systemic racism is a problem and we need to address it. When did it become a fact that this is the case and beyond that, we all know it?

Is it a problem? Maybe. Why do we get to skip over that question? If black lives truly matter, why don't we talk about and address black-on-black crime and murder? (go look up how people at LinkedIn who asked about that are labelled as racist). What about the lives of non-blacks killed by police? Do they matter?

IMO (hopefully I don't regret this analogy), the country is giving in to the child throwing a temper tantrum. It's embarrassing.

Are police (and frankly government across the board) out of control? Absolutely. The rule of law is a joke these days. Police are exempted from the laws the supposedly enforce. There's no recourse or accountability. That is absolutely a problem. But it's not a race problem. It's an issue for everyone.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Would it have been better on a kneeler in a pew? So what’s the big deal? Were there any republicans doing the same? Is killing a guy by kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes partisan somehow in this screwed up world?
Based on my limited knowledge since I've totally tuned out this pure, absolute, unadulterated horseshit because I'm sick and tired of it, the actual cause of death for George Floyd has not yet been determined exactly.

If Mr. Floyd were to ask me beforehand I would advise him that resisting arrest by the police is an inherently risky activity that might not end well if you were to do an intelligent cost benefit analysis of the whole situation. I could have offered him advice from personal experience even though I happen to be white (and drunk at the time).
Last edited by pp4me on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 pm
The thing is that statistically speaking the police kill more white criminals than they do black criminals, and yet the media only ever tell us about the black criminals that get killed. So, the whole thing is based on a lie. Can anyone imagine why they would tell us this lie? I can . . . the Democrats benefit when we are racially divided. Bingo, that's it. Nevermind that the country suffers when we are divided. All that matters is that the Democrats benefit.
Or at least that's their plan.
I don't think it's going to pay off this November. Normal people are very averse to looting, rioting, and arson, even if the Democrats don't seem to know that.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:02 pm

drumminj wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 pm
I don't think it's partisan at all..it's just amazing and disappointing to me how now "everyone's got to do it". Like somehow this is the only, and most important issue in the world.

The officers have been arrested and charged. The system is processing it. Great, move on.

Instead, it somehow goes without saying that all white people (and police) are racist. Against blacks, but not anyone else of course! The only oppression in the world is of blacks, and we don't need any data to inform the discussion, it just "is". The police in MN killed him because they're racist.

I've gotten emails from all the VPs in my company about how we all know systemic racism is a problem and we need to address it. When did it become a fact that this is the case and beyond that, we all know it?

Is it a problem? Maybe. Why do we get to skip over that question? If black lives truly matter, why don't we talk about and address black-on-black crime and murder? (go look up how people at LinkedIn who asked about that are labelled as racist). What about the lives of non-blacks killed by police? Do they matter?

IMO (hopefully I don't regret this analogy), the country is giving in to the child throwing a temper tantrum. It's embarrassing.

Are police (and frankly government across the board) out of control? Absolutely. The rule of law is a joke these days. Police are exempted from the laws the supposedly enforce. There's no recourse or accountability. That is absolutely a problem. But it's not a race problem. It's an issue for everyone.
BLM doesn't care about blacks killing blacks, which is several orders of magnitude more common than police killing unarmed blacks. That doesn't advance their agenda of overthrowing Western Civilization.

Here's a chart showing the relative risks of various causes of death among blacks: https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/40 ... 79bc56.jpg
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 pm

stuper1 wrote:
2019 stats, these are just shootings, nothing about any other under the radar stuff like more harassment, 370 white, 235 black shot and killed
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/
Census, 13.4% pop is black, 76.5% white
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/ ... /IPE120218

Calculate the numbers (if I am doing my math right), blacks are 3.6x more likely to be shot and killed by police than whites.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm

drumminj wrote:
My wife asked me, if Floyd was white, would this have gotten the same coverage? I know the easy answer is no, but the issue with this one in particular, with the video, the more times I see it and the look on the cop's face, with some sort of I don't give a shit that I'm killing this guy, is the linchpin for me and I suspect many, and is just chilling.

I have tried to put myself in his shoes (Chauvin). As I've said, I don't understand it. Just walk away. If he just killed your daughter, fine, you've got a right to be pissed and maybe go that far, but then also add in the fact that none of the other three even made a half assed effort to try and pull him off or get him to stop. Just over the top evil.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 pm
stuper1 wrote:
2019 stats, these are just shootings, nothing about any other under the radar stuff like more harassment, 370 white, 235 black shot and killed

Calculate the numbers (if I am doing my math right), blacks are 3.6x more likely to be shot and killed by police than whites.
And blacks make up 50+ percent of the US prison population.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm
drumminj wrote:
My wife asked me, if Floyd was white, would this have gotten the same coverage? I know the easy answer is no, but the issue with this one in particular, with the video, the more times I see it and the look on the cop's face, with some sort of I don't give a shit that I'm killing this guy, is the linchpin for me and I suspect many, and is just chilling.

I have tried to put myself in his shoes (Chauvin). As I've said, I don't understand it. Just walk away. If he just killed your daughter, fine, you've got a right to be pissed and maybe go that far, but then also add in the fact that none of the other three even made a half assed effort to try and pull him off or get him to stop. Just over the top evil.
I will certainly grant you that Chauvin is likely an evil, power-loving cop, like many others of his kind. All I'm saying is that he was just as likely, or probably more likely given the statistics, to do that to a white person as a black person. So, all of this protesting isn't based on facts/statistics/science; it's just based on stupid luck of the draw. Instead of addressing the real problem, which is poor family structure in the black community, we will hear ad nauseam about systemic racism which really isn't there. And why? Because the media sees it as a wedge to divide the country and promote Democrats.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:37 am

I would be quite interested to know whether most of the seven prior complaints of police brutality against Chauvin were made by black people or not:

http://complaints.cuapb.org/police_arch ... icer/2377/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:02 am

I guess the title was supposed to be ‘Every Knee Shall Bend...’

I hesitated to post this yesterday, but with a thread that begins with that photo, I cannot resist.
{ washing feet }

if you see dale earnhardt jr, scroll down to the post below that.
https://twitter.com/Scott_Spidle/status ... 40385?s=20

It’s more antiracism as religion, like John McWhorter wrote. Plenty of rituals.
A lot of black people are tweeting that they’re creeped out by it.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:02 am
I guess the title was supposed to be ‘Every Knee Shall Bend...’

I hesitated to post this yesterday, but with a thread that begins with that photo, I cannot resist.
{ washing feet }

if you see dale earnhardt jr, scroll down to the post below that.
https://twitter.com/Scott_Spidle/status ... 40385?s=20

It’s more antiracism as religion, like John McWhorter wrote. Plenty of rituals.
A lot of black people are tweeting that they’re creeped out by it.
That's because most black people aren't criminals or lunatics.
Although you would never know that by watching the Marxist media.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 am

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 pm
Instead of addressing the real problem, which is poor family structure in the black community, we will hear ad nauseam about systemic racism which really isn't there. And why? Because the media sees it as a wedge to divide the country and promote Democrats.
I agree on this, but I also have not seen any implementation that has come close to fixing this. Have there been any that anyone knows of? There has to be a democratic or republican leader who's had some level of success somewhere in addressing this? Or are you immediately called a racist if you call out the family structure issues, even if you are black?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:00 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm
drumminj wrote:

Is it true that one of the three was a rookie, it being only his third shift on the job?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:00 am
Is it true that one of the three was a rookie, it being only his third shift on the job?

Vinny
Oof, that's a tough spot. Going to jail for failing to tell the guy you're supposed to be learning everything from to lay off. Especially when he's saying things like "if you can talk you can breathe".
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:12 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 am
stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 pm
Instead of addressing the real problem, which is poor family structure in the black community, we will hear ad nauseam about systemic racism which really isn't there. And why? Because the media sees it as a wedge to divide the country and promote Democrats.
I agree on this, but I also have not seen any implementation that has come close to fixing this. Have there been any that anyone knows of? There has to be a democratic or republican leader who's had some level of success somewhere in addressing this? Or are you immediately called a racist if you call out the family structure issues, even if you are black?
If you are a conservative black who supports someone else's 1st Amendment rights, you get canceled:
"GoFundMe has suspended a fundraiser hosted by BLEXIT founder Candace Owens and reportedly banned her from the site after she created a fundraiser in support of an Alabama business owner who criticized the George Floyd protests."
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/06/ ... r-account/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Oof, that's a tough spot. Going to jail for failing to tell the guy you're supposed to be learning everything from to lay off. Especially when he's saying things like "if you can talk you can breathe".
If that happens, you go over his head to his supervisor. "I vas chust following ordersss!" doesn't fly.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 pm
stuper1 wrote:

Yes, but that statistic is misleading. Since blacks are charged with crimes at more than 3.6x the rate of whites (or Asians or Hispanics), it turns out that per encounter they are LESS likely to be killed by police than those of other races.

I'm not sure what the rate is exactly, since only a minority of crimes are prosecuted and still fewer end up with a conviction. However, black men are imprisoned at about 4x the rate of the general population, and more than 5x the rate of white men. I agree with complaints that a lot of these are manufactured offenses (e.g. drug possession), but that's an argument for legalizing street drugs, not for abolishing police - and it does not change the fact that an adversarial encounter with police was involved.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:19 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 am
Xan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
If that happens, you go over his head to his supervisor. "I vas chust following ordersss!" doesn't fly.
Plus at some point the guy stopped talking. That is a tough spot to be in, but even if your effort is ineffectual you have to at least say something. One of the three saying "Hey, get off the man's neck!" would have been enough to avert the whole mess.

I also fundamentally don't get it in that NO ONE is defending these guys. Seriously no one. And the result of these riots is very likely to be much greater segregation and racial hostility, once the effect of reduced law enforcement becomes apparent. Which I'm sure they will try to blame Trump for as per usual.