Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:35 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Believe me, I hear you. I have a friend who can do over 20. I can do about 5. So I know the frustration. Different body types work better for different exercises.

Here are a couple more alternatives for pulling exercises:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/invert ... -exercise/

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/dumbbell-exe ... ed%20again.
The first one definitely looks it could possibly definitely build me up to do the real thing more successfully.

Over thirty years ago - the only other time I did weights - and for not that long, I think I shocked myself by doing 8 chinups. Still, though, did not seem to hit that softball any farther!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Maybe I'm wrong. I forgot about the deadlift. Maybe you've already got the pulling motion covered. I'm not sure.

I used to do deadlifts seriously but nowadays I just do them non-seriously because I like running, but I never feel like running after some serious deadlifting.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:56 pm

It’s a full body exercise - here is a diagram of the muscles involved during the DL. They don’t highlight the brain nor the muscles in my face that strain under each lift but I feel light-headed and sometimes my teeth ache later in the day. Next day I’m fine.

https://gofile.io/d/2qt172
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:21 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:56 pm
It’s a full body exercise - here is a diagram of the muscles involved during the DL. They don’t highlight the brain nor the muscles in my face that strain under each lift but I feel light-headed and sometimes my teeth ache later in the day. Next day I’m fine.

https://gofile.io/d/2qt172
Love the diagram! Thanks!

A few years into the program I on my last (work) set of dead lifts. 5 of my max. After the 3rd one I did not think I could finish. But I pushed myself. I think I either heard or felt something on the next one. Kept me out of basketball for the next two weeks. I learned my lesson from that episode and have not had a re-occurence since. Pay close attention to what I'm feeling in my lower back as I am doing them!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:47 am

This is a very thought provoking podcast. If you accept the commentary, there sure will be some interesting times ahead. Better stock up on essential supplies and the means to protect both them and your loved ones. :o

https://www.1517.org/podcasts/banned-books/145-debrief

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:53 am

Deadlifts are great, but they can really bite you. I tore a disc in my back a couple years ago doing them, and re-injured it a year later. Really painful injury. Getting geriatric sucks.

Anyways, Vinny, IIRC SS should have told you to use microplates (like a ring of chainlinks) if a 5lb jump was too big for you. You're really handicapping yourself with your diet as Mark pointed out, but you still should be able to handle much heavier weights if you've been lifting for years now, just from practicing so much.

Maybe you could try a grease-the-groove style program instead of SS; if you aren't gaining muscle mass, it could be better to completely concentrate on training your neurological system to make better use of the muscle fibers you have. Especially with a home gym set up it could be perfect for you. If only you'd been doing it the past few months when you've been home all day :P
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:53 am
Deadlifts are great, but they can really bite you. I tore a disc in my back a couple years ago doing them, and re-injured it a year later. Really painful injury. Getting geriatric sucks.

Anyways, Vinny, IIRC SS should have told you to use microplates (like a ring of chainlinks) if a 5lb jump was too big for you. You're really handicapping yourself with your diet as Mark pointed out, but you still should be able to handle much heavier weights if you've been lifting for years now, just from practicing so much.

Maybe you could try a grease-the-groove style program instead of SS; if you aren't gaining muscle mass, it could be better to completely concentrate on training your neurological system to make better use of the muscle fibers you have. Especially with a home gym set up it could be perfect for you. If only you'd been doing it the past few months when you've been home all day :P
I assume that this is what you are recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/44SPORT-Olympic- ... l_huc_item

I think I had been aware of them and read about them long ago. But certainly not recently. Quite expensive for five total pounds. Maybe I can find some locally via Craigslist. Just checked. Nothing available. I can certainly afford the ones from Amazon.

My expanded deadlift injury story.

As I stated, I was somewhat done after the first three of my work set of five but pushed myself to do the remaining two which is when I injured myself. I seem to remember I did them without using my legs and did too much using my back. Then went to my office where I sat the rest of the day in some discomfort (but not a lot).

Saturday I left my house around 8:30 AM for a 1.5 hour ride to see six high school basketball games. Then got home around 10:00 PM after another 1.5 hour ride home. Basically sitting all that 13.5 hours.

Then on Sunday I sat around at home all day.

When I got out of bed on Monday I could barely walk. Was in extreme pain in that back area which I'd injured. As I said that kept me out of basketball for two weeks while it healed. One of our fellow players then was a physical therapist. He told me that if I'd had more movement after hurting it on Friday then none of the subsequent would have occurred.

It did leave me with a problem, though. I make my money sitting down. How was I going to make money while also continuing the weight program? It was then in 2013 that I converted my office computer setup to a standup desk. At zero cost. I put both my trackball and keyboard on boxes on my table and put two monitors on shelves. And, I've not sat in that office since then.

Don't we all have limits? Otherwise people would be able to lift to infinity? Though my highest weights are fairly low compared to others I'm still definitely experiencing tons of life benefits from what I am able to do.

I acknowledge my diet handicap but a large part of it is philosophical. Not wanting to harm animals for my benefit. Though I'm not practicing that by owning carnivores (cats).

And, what is a "grease-the-groove style program"?!!! Well, here it is!

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/grea ... rk-for-you

Thanks for the suggestions!

Vinny
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 am

I ALWAYS walk 2-3 miles post DL workout to maintain flexibility and reduce lactic acid build-up. Next day is light stretching and an upper body workout to stay mobile.

Vinny, do what makes you happy and set achievable goals irrespective of what others are lifting. Thor recently deadlifted 1000+ lbs at 6’9” 450+lbs which is 500lbs more than I can muster even though I’ve been training 30 years (genetics is a huge component in this sport).

Another point of interest perhaps - my wife is a ranked power lifter in CA and personal friend of Thor. It’s really how I transitioned from bodybuilding to powerlifting and yes I have pictures of them together.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:08 am

buddtholomew wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 am
I ALWAYS walk 2-3 miles post DL workout to maintain flexibility and reduce lactic acid build-up. Next day is light stretching and an upper body workout to stay mobile.

Vinny, do what makes you happy and set achievable goals irrespective of what others are lifting. Thor recently deadlifted 1000+ lbs at 6’9” 450+lbs which is 500lbs more than I can muster even though I’ve been training 30 years (genetics is a huge component in this sport).

Another point of interest perhaps - my wife is a ranked power lifter in CA and personal friend of Thor. It’s really how I transitioned from bodybuilding to powerlifting and yes I have pictures of them together.
In spite of how comparatively little I lift I'm quite happy with the results. From my first session it made me feel like standing up straight was now more comfortable after having slouched for the prior 50 years. I can do things (strength-wise) with confidence now that I'd not even have been able to do while I was younger. And, there is certainly way I'd be able to still be on the softball field and basketball court at my age. I call my three times a week sessions "preventative physical therapy".

After a night of basketball, when I was 29 (and doing no other exercise) I had all I could go to get out of the car, make it through the kitchen door, so as to collapse on the couch. Now, 40 years later after a night of basketball, I just get out of the car and walk into the house like I'd not put myself through a night of basketball. I remember a softball in 1998 when I was playing right field and as I was standing there my body was so stiff I felt like it was encased in a suit of armor. I kept thinking, "what is this going to be like / feel like as I age?" Over 30 years later I now have none of those issues.

Getting back to genetics. I always said I was built for thinking, not for strength. But now that I've acquired a lot of muscle and tone I realize that many of my problems (and pain) was caused from the lack of muscle throughout my body.

And, the overall results above have kept me dedicated to my three times a week sessions no matter what. They have top priority over anything else.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:08 am
buddtholomew wrote:

I always said I was built for thinking, not for strength.
I would say that the latter is obvious.
Not the former, though. >:D
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Big V, If my math is correct, you’re approaching 60+
Switch from softball to golf and you’ll hit the ball further haha...but maybe not at first.
Just returned from the driving range and they want 30 feet between players. That’s not even possible unless only one person is on the tee box or green at a time.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:42 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:26 pm
Switch from softball to golf and you’ll hit the ball further haha...but maybe not at first.
Just returned from the driving range and they want 30 feet between players. That’s not even possible unless only one person is on the tee box or green at a time.
30 feet? Outside? Seems crazy. Being outside apparently does wonders.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:42 pm
buddtholomew wrote:
30 feet? Outside? Seems crazy. Being outside apparently does wonders.
Ludicrous really; also limited to 1/2 bucket (30 balls) each visit. Pro shop was closed for merchandise and only accepted credit cards (no cash) for the 18-hole course and range.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:39 pm

buddtholomew wrote:

I've heard big, bulky, muscleheads at my gym talk about the importance of a lot walking too. Where do you guys do all this walking? The only people I see out walking are small scrawny guys like me.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:05 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:39 pm
buddtholomew wrote:

I've heard big, bulky, muscleheads at my gym talk about the importance of a lot walking too. Where do you guys do all this walking? The only people I see out walking are small scrawny guys like me.
From the couch to the refrigerator and back is 120’ and there are 5280’ in a mile so that turns out to be 44 trips a day for basically breakfast, a few protein shakes, lunch and dinner.

I used to walk on a treadmill at incline for 40 minutes and now walk in the neighborhood.

The only difference between a big, bulky muscle-head and the scrawny fella is time, dedication, persistence, failure, success, injury and above all a passion for working out. I’d rather be dead than be told I couldn’t workout. Honestly, no joke. Although; I’m not sure whether I would trade the PP to workout. That would be a tough call ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
69 this past April. My picture here is from me at bat just about a year ago.

A few weeks ago I set up my softball / baseball net in my back yard. Today I hit a lot of softballs into it off my batting tee.

I always said that I would start golf when I stopped playing basketball and softball, which I definitely never expected to continue be doing at this age.

But in anticipation of that some day coming and now being home so much these days, within the last hour, at Amazon, I bought a golf ball net, some balls and tees so I can also start practicing on my some day golf "career". My only prior golf experience was when I was 17, 18 years old. I was terrible. Used to shoot 70s on nine holes!

I do have two sets of golf clubs that I bought at tag sales somewhere in the last 10 to 20 years. All that will be fine for the almost completely inexperienced player that I now am.

Vinny
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm
buddtholomew wrote:

A few weeks ago I set up my softball / baseball net in my back yard. Today I hit a lot of softballs into it off my batting tee.

I always said that I would start golf when I stopped playing basketball and softball, which I definitely never expected to continue be doing at this age.

But in anticipation of that some day coming and now being home so much these days, within the last hour, at Amazon, I bought a golf ball net, some balls and tees so I can also start practicing on my some day golf "career". My only prior golf experience was when I was 17, 18 years old. I was terrible. Used to shoot 70s on nine holes!

I do have two sets of golf clubs that I bought at tag sales somewhere in the last 10 to 20 years. All that will be fine for the almost completely inexperienced player that I now am.

Vinny
Frickin awesome Big V (respectfully).
Do let us know how golf turns out.
Equipment has evolved substantially in the last
10-20 years so if the Woods are actually made out of wood display them as antiques rather than for driving use in the backyard :) I’ve played with both as golf is a huge sport in SA.
Easier to learn on the new equipment if you end up playing a round some day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm
buddtholomew wrote:

Vinny
Frickin awesome Big V (respectfully).
Do let us know how golf turns out.
Equipment has evolved substantially in the last
10-20 years so if the Woods are actually made out of wood display them as antiques rather than for driving use in the backyard :) I’ve played with both as golf is a huge sport in SA.
Easier to learn on the new equipment if you end up playing a round some day.
Thanks as ever for the advice. The initial goal with hitting the golf balls is the same as I have with the softballs, developing a consistent swing that squarely meets the ball.

If I ever make progress I will buy more appropriate equipment. But it's the same philosophy when I bought a bass guitar. I could have afforded anything. Instead, I bought the cheapest one, telling myself you have to earn a better one by proving you are doing this seriously. I did not want it to be yet another one of those things wherein I buy it, I use it a short period of time, and then it gets put aside. I was serious with that bass guitar for a short while but it got put aside with other priorities jumping ahead of it. So, it was a good position to take.

Vinny

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm

I think we've talked about this before, but I can't help but mention it again that I find pickleball to be much more enjoyable than golf, but of course it's not for everybody. For me, the problem with golf is that I'm a perfectionist and so in order to play a decent round of golf I would need to practice several hours a week in order to keep the long game, mid game, short game, and putting game all in decent shape. Whereas, with pickleball I can play at a relatively high level with little practice. Golf does have an advantage in that you can practice by yourself, whereas in pickleball you need a partner generally to get a good practice session in.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:32 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm
I think we've talked about this before, but I can't help but mention it again that I find pickleball to be much more enjoyable than golf, but of course it's not for everybody. For me, the problem with golf is that I'm a perfectionist and so in order to play a decent round of golf I would need to practice several hours a week in order to keep the long game, mid game, short game, and putting game all in decent shape. Whereas, with pickleball I can play at a relatively high level with little practice. Golf does have an advantage in that you can practice by yourself, whereas in pickleball you need a partner generally to get a good practice session in.
I generally gravitate towards team sports like softball and basketball where you have both teammates and opponents. But, for now, while neither of those are yet permissible, I can see how I'll enjoy learning how to drive a golf ball.

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:38 am

Pickleball is generally played as a team sport of two players against two other players.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Never heard of pickleball - what is it?

Ultimate Frisbee is the outdoor team game of choice here, but you have to make sure there are no snitches around if you want to play it in a public park these days. Sticking to my yoga mat, kettlebell and pull-up bar instead. At least there are no lines to wait on!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Ultimate Frisbee is the outdoor team game of choice here, but you have to make sure there are no snitches around if you want to play it in a public park these days. Sticking to my yoga mat, kettlebell and pull-up bar instead. At least there are no lines to wait on!
I had never heard of it either until we visited Sun City Texas.
But here it is: https://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm

My dad got a hole in one today. I had one of my best 18 holes ever, which is still very bad but... you know. Golf.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm

I had never heard of it either until we visited Sun City Texas.
But here it is: https://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/
Oh I see. Sort of like tennis but with a paddle instead of a racquet.