Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 pm
I'm sure it was hugely expensive then. I looked into it once: you can get a whole pile of Costco-branded (Kirkland) Rogaine-equivalent for hardly anything.
Would $35 a month back then sound expensive? That is the only number that comes to mind.

If so, $35 then is like $82 a year now. So, it'd have been about $1,000 a year in today's $$$$.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm

No idea what it was back then.

Here it is for $39 for a six-month supply:
https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Minoxid ... B00DTPYGHQ
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm

New York Times used to have this excellent web site ConsumerSearch that one could use to investigate potential products.

But now it seems to have been taken over by something else as this seems quite different from what it used to be:

https://www.consumersearch.com/

However the New York Times now has this.

I was just going through it to see if had any other hair restoration products (did not) but, of course, I then headed to the cat section and just briefly looking at two articles caused me to buy three new cat litter boxes and buy a different cat litter than the one I'm currently using and which costs almost twice as much as what I am now paying.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm
My father has been back from China for a couple weeks now and all is well. I don't know how to explain it, but the man always seems to look younger upon coming from a recent vacation. Fountain of youth.

Maybe it’s the food 😋

Speaking of staying young, do any of you guys have experience with minoxidil (Rogaine)?
I took it for a little while, but I’m too lazy and it was too inconvenient. I’m definitely thinning out, and yet it’s happening so slowly that I have relaxed about it. Besides, bald is in.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am

Ha, not having a Y chromosome has its advantages....

My brother tried all those things but gave up. He went with the buzz cut option. And then there's the "conservation of hair" method, where a balding guy makes up for it by growing a beard - a couple of friends have gone that route.

I suspect all those products are a waste of money, either the original or the cheap knockoffs. Sorry, but nature will have its way whatever your opinion about it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Minoxidil/Rogaine is significantly more expensive in Canada it seems, even after accounting for exchange rates. I wonder why that is exactly.

rogaine.png
rogaine.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 5321 times

My experience and research seem to suggest that stopping the progression of male pattern baldness is fairly easy. A simple daily pill of either finasteride/dutasteride works to stop DHT from killing hair follicles, at least for the vast majority of men. Getting back hair you have already lost is the more troublesome challenge. It seems that I am fortunate in that I started dutasteride while still being a Norwood 1.

I am still nonetheless curious about minoxidil for the recovery of the modicum I have lost before I took action.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am

I took it for a little while, but I’m too lazy and it was too inconvenient. I’m definitely thinning out, and yet it’s happening so slowly that I have relaxed about it. Besides, bald is in.
I wish I had your confidence. In my defence, I have an unusual situation on my hands. I have some scarring on my head from an old childhood injury, so rocking the bald look would be more detrimental cosmetically for me than most men.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Ah, I understand.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm
Minoxidil/Rogaine is significantly more expensive in Canada it seems, even after accounting for exchange rates. I wonder why that is exactly.

rogaine.png

My experience and research seem to suggest that stopping the progression of male pattern baldness is fairly easy. A simple daily pill of either finasteride/dutasteride works to stop DHT from killing hair follicles, at least for the vast majority of men. Getting back hair you have already lost is the more troublesome challenge. It seems that I am fortunate in that I started dutasteride while still being a Norwood 1.

I am still nonetheless curious about minoxidil for the recovery of the modicum I have lost before I took action.
You are fortunate not to have been harmed by finasteride. In a small proportion of men it has permanent side effects: https://www.the-dermatologist.com/conte ... de-effects.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

You are fortunate not to have been harmed by finasteride. In a small proportion of men it has permanent side effects: https://www.the-dermatologist.com/conte ... de-effects.
I would have started taking the medication about 6 months earlier than I did were it not for reports like these. In the end I decided to bite the bullet. So far so good.

I originally found out about the medication via Ashton Kutcher of all places.

https://youtu.be/cmUFgTCDTWs
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:37 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:36 pm
Shave your head. Done.
Never.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 pm

I have had positive results with a laser cap for 8 years. Restored hair from back to the crown, thin though it is. The family "sceptic" admitted it has worked. The last few years the hair line has been it retreat but I no longer reflect the sun or fluorescent light from the back into people's eyes, so OK. My hair is not thick but it covers. After a shower, I am impressed how the thin and regrown hair covers so much. Did the comb and the scalp reach an agreement?

I believe these laser caps cost about $500.

Finally, after 7 years, my cap ceased to function- it was the electric cord. I did shell out the new $500, though. It works satisfactorily- i.e. I don't want to reflect the sun into others' eyes. Eventually, there may be an age where the scalp says "see ya." At 65, it still works for me. And don't let it flash the eyes, people.

The company owner said the cap won't stop the front hair receding in progress. He suggested Propecia but 3 treatments with Amazon's Best and biotin shampoo has helped me conclude that I should be happy with the current situation.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:36 pm
Shave your head. Done.
He has some childhood scarring on his scalp that he doesn’t want to sport.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 am

Clippers with no attachment for me. Leaves about 1/8" of hair. Damn easy to take care of, and I don't care about hair. Never did. If I could take a pill to have all the hair fall off my body and never shave again, I would. Except for eyebrows. That would look weird.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 am
Clippers with no attachment for me. Leaves about 1/8" of hair. Damn easy to take care of, and I don't care about hair. Never did. If I could take a pill to have all the hair fall off my body and never shave again, I would. Except for eyebrows. That would look weird.
Eyelashes?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 am
Since I've come home in mid-March (and been home). I've not trimmed a single hair on my body anywhere.

I used to weekly trim my beard so it was about a few days growth length. I was expecting it to now be quite long at this point but he seems to be more bushy than that long.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm
Since I've come home in mid-March (and been home). I've not trimmed a single hair on my body anywhere.

I used to weekly trim my beard so it was about a few days growth length. I was expecting it to now be quite long at this point but he seems to be more bushy than that long.
Do you look like Alan Moore now? (The guy who created V for Vendetta and other graphic novels & comics).
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Do you look like Alan Moore now? (The guy who created V for Vendetta and other graphic novels & comics).
Have no idea who he is. Let's see if I can find him.

No. Because A. don't have the amount of on top hair he has B. My beard does not seem to be anywhere as long as his.

Generally I have a fast growing beard which is why I'd expected it to be much longer than it now is after 3+ months. But now that I think about it is does not grow THAT much in a week. It only looks a lot compared to how short it was when it started.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:22 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 pm
I have had positive results with a laser cap for 8 years. Restored hair from back to the crown, thin though it is. The family "sceptic" admitted it has worked. The last few years the hair line has been it retreat but I no longer reflect the sun or fluorescent light from the back into people's eyes, so OK. My hair is not thick but it covers. After a shower, I am impressed how the thin and regrown hair covers so much. Did the comb and the scalp reach an agreement?

I believe these laser caps cost about $500.

Finally, after 7 years, my cap ceased to function- it was the electric cord. I did shell out the new $500, though. It works satisfactorily- i.e. I don't want to reflect the sun into others' eyes. Eventually, there may be an age where the scalp says "see ya." At 65, it still works for me. And don't let it flash the eyes, people.

The company owner said the cap won't stop the front hair receding in progress. He suggested Propecia but 3 treatments with Amazon's Best and biotin shampoo has helped me conclude that I should be happy with the current situation.
Very, very interesting. I will do some more research into this.

For me I have tried platelet rich plasma injections along with dutasteride. There seems to be good clinical evidence on the efficacy of both. My issue is that both of those treatments have sort of overlapped for me. So it's somewhat difficult to parse out which treatment was responsible for whatever progress I've made.

Still thinking about minoxidil. For anyone in this thread interested in hair loss treatments, Kevin Mann on youtube is a wealth of knowledge and information. (https://youtu.be/yE8VQZaed9A) He does a great job of summarizing clinical studies into an easily digestible format.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 am

Here's something to consider

http://activance.com.au

Chemotherapy patients down here were recommended to use this.
A family member also used it and was most surprised it actually helped
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 pm

I rewatched Shutter Island the other day. If anything I found the movie more enticing and engaging the second time through. Once you know the plot twist you pick up all kinds of subtle signs and clues that you would not have the first time. Every time that Dr. Sheehan is mentioned the camera quickly cuts to Mark Ruffalo's character. That dude is a real gem. It's too bad he doesn't make an appearance as the Hulk in the movie.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 pm
I rewatched Shutter Island the other day. If anything I found the movie more enticing and engaging the second time through. Once you know the plot twist you pick up all kinds of subtle signs and clues that you would not have the first time. Every time that Dr. Sheehan is mentioned the camera quickly cuts to Mark Ruffalo's character. That dude is a real gem. It's too bad he doesn't make an appearance as the Hulk in the movie.
Great film. I need to watch it again because I saw it in the theater where some crazy ladies were talking through the whole thing. One hour in, I confronted them and I thought i was going to get stabbed, but they actually approached to tell me they were leaving. The theater erupted with thunderous claps and cheers at that news. Last time I’ll ever do that. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I heard Tim Pool talking about moving out of the city (with its CHAZ b.s.) and even out of the suburbs, and growing vegetables in a garden instead of just green lawns. He's speaking your language again, Kriegs. Maybe you are secretly Tim Pool. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:29 pm

It's July and up here in Vancouver, B.C. it's still cold and rainy enough to require a jacket and umbrella. ::)
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 pm

I arrived in Des Moines, Iowa last night. It is hot and muggy.
But, my what an oasis of sanity in a world of turmoil.

Seriously, if anyone decides to buy up this town, you will not lose money. Educated, trendy, gorgeous, cheap...

And did I mention that the capital dome is covered in gold leaf?

Mark
IMG_8974.jpeg
IMG_8974.jpeg (153.25 KiB) Viewed 5475 times
rivière des moines
IMG_8975.jpeg
IMG_8975.jpeg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 5475 times
smoked old fashioned
IMG_8973.jpeg
IMG_8973.jpeg (201.05 KiB) Viewed 5475 times
some Iowa only taps. The green tags are gluten free
IMG_8972.jpeg
IMG_8972.jpeg (141.86 KiB) Viewed 5475 times