Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:46 pm
I heard Tim Pool talking about moving out of the city (with its CHAZ b.s.) and even out of the suburbs, and growing vegetables in a garden instead of just green lawns. He's speaking your language again, Kriegs. Maybe you are secretly Tim Pool. O0
:D :D ??? ;D
"He" just got some guns too.

When you hear "him" start talking about playing noob golf, that will be confirmation.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:54 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 pm
I arrived in Des Moines, Iowa last night. It is hot and muggy.
But, my what an oasis of sanity in a world of turmoil.

Seriously, if anyone decides to buy up this town, you will not lose money. Educated, trendy, gorgeous, cheap...

And did I mention that the capital dome is covered in gold leaf?

Mark

IMG_8974.jpeg

rivière des moines IMG_8975.jpeg
smoked old fashioned IMG_8973.jpeg
some Iowa only taps. The green tags are gluten free IMG_8972.jpeg
rivière raton laveur IMG_8982.jpeg
steak frites. Perfect hanger. IMG_8984.jpeg
This guy knows how to live!
Beautiful steak. I am sheltering (not sweltering) in place, but I’ve been working on short ribs.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:51 am

I used to play music at the gym. Now I just play with my PP. ^-^

0AF9FD0A-23C9-4156-9680-BEDC6719061E.jpeg
0AF9FD0A-23C9-4156-9680-BEDC6719061E.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 5496 times
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:34 am

Hot and muggy here in NYC today. I went outside for a walk early this morning, before it got too hot. Heading out of town for a day trip tomorrow.

I was checking out cars on the walk too, as I'm considering buying one. Between the endless lockdowns/remote work and the breakdown of public transportation not to mention the prospect of a new 80s style crime wave, having an escape pod is feeling more and more like a necessity. Anyone got particular recommendations in the compact hatchback or subcompact SUV category?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:25 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:34 am
Hot and muggy here in NYC today. I went outside for a walk early this morning, before it got too hot. Heading out of town for a day trip tomorrow.

I was checking out cars on the walk too, as I'm considering buying one. Between the endless lockdowns/remote work and the breakdown of public transportation not to mention the prospect of a new 80s style crime wave, having an escape pod is feeling more and more like a necessity. Anyone got particular recommendations in the compact hatchback or subcompact SUV category?
I rented a Chevy Spark when I was on vacation in the Canadian Rockies a couple of years ago and it was a fun little car to drive. What I really liked about it was being able to pop into small parking spaces I wouldn't have dreamed of trying with any other car I've owned since the English Ford I drove in high school. This was very useful when all the parking spaces were full in the Rockies so I can only imagine it would be even more so in a big city like New York.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks pp4me! I'm looking to use it on trips out of the city more than in though. And parking around me is not as difficult as is the case elsewhere in Manhattan.

BTW Smith forgot to mention - good luck if you can get through that book while working out! It is a pretty dense read, but absorbing. Have fun!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:52 pm

WiseOne wrote:

Curious question.

What would be the added cost to park you car somewhere each night? And, how many minutes would it be away from where you live?

Oh, I've owned four Honda Accords in a row and a softball teammates owned two Honda Fits in a row and loved them.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:54 pm

WiseOne wrote:

How about this? Image

https://www.armoredcars.com/vehicles/20 ... a3-tdi-v2/
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:38 pm

BTW Smith forgot to mention - good luck if you can get through that book while working out! It is a pretty dense read, but absorbing. Have fun!
As an experiment, I have switched entirely from having my headphones in while working out to reading a book. The only exception is when I'm doing certain types of cardio. Then I usually put on a video with subtitles.

So far the results are good. I learn more while reading a book between sets than I did listening to podcasts. I also find that this way I'm less likely to doddle with rest breaks that last too long.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:25 pm

WiseOne wrote:

Honda Fit
Hyundai Accent
Scion Xa or Xb
Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3

Probably more, but that's a good start to look for. Like I've (weirdly) said before, a 4 cylinder stick shift hatchback is the way to go. Unless you want to get a 250cc motorcycle that gets 90 mpg.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 pm

WiseOne,

The parking garage at Castle Village, approx $400/month, may bring piece of mind. The $400 may lighten your wallet, if not your happiness.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:25 pm
WiseOne wrote:

Honda Fit
Hyundai Accent
Scion Xa or Xb
Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3

Probably more, but that's a good start to look for. Like I've (weirdly) said before, a 4 cylinder stick shift hatchback is the way to go. Unless you want to get a 250cc motorcycle that gets 90 mpg.
These cars get good reviews:

Hyundai Kona or Tucson
Kia Soul or Sportage
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 pm

WiseOne wrote:

I bought this beauty in LA about 3 weeks ago when it looked like I wouldn't be flying for awhile. 2005 mini cooper, stick shift. $5K and another $5K to bring her up to speed. Hatchback. Crazy fun to drive. New South Dakota plates should arrive in another week or so. I'm in Des Moines now. Super hot and muggy - but a delightful town. Reminds of Portland OR 20 years ago.
ROCI.jpeg
ROCI.jpeg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:03 pm
WiseOne wrote:

I bought this beauty in LA about 3 weeks ago when it looked like I wouldn't be flying for awhile. 2005 mini cooper, stick shift. $5K and another $5K to bring her up to speed. Hatchback. Crazy fun to drive. New South Dakota plates should arrive in another week or so. I'm in Des Moines now. Super hot and muggy - but a delightful town. Reminds of Portland OR 20 years ago.

ROCI.jpeg
A man after my own heart!

In December 2013 I bought my 2004 Honda Accord for $3,350 and then immediately spent $1,000 on it.

It had 123,000 miles on it then.

Now it has 153,000.

I filled up the tank with gas mid-March and I still have half a tank left.

When I brought it to my mechanic to look at just prior to buying it, his final words were, "Good car. It'll last 10 years for you."

6+ years later due to so little driving I do these days (100 miles a week prior to self-isolation in mid-March) it may now exceed those 10 years.

One problem is that I still have studded snow tires on the car.

Am driving so little that I've not been sufficiently motivated to leave the house for a scheduled appointment and be gone for probably 1.5 hours. I resist scheduled anythings.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

ROCI.jpeg

In December 2013 I bought my 2004 Honda Accord for $3,350 and then immediately spent $1,000 on it.

Now it has 153,000.

When I brought it to my mechanic to look at just prior to buying it, his final words were, "Good car. It'll last 10 years for you."

6+ years later due to so little driving I do these days (100 miles a week prior to self-isolation in mid-March) it may now exceed those 10 years.

Am driving so little that I've not been sufficiently motivated to leave the house for a scheduled appointment and be gone for probably 1.5 hours. I resist scheduled anythings.

Vinny
Wow, you guys don't keep cars very long, do you? O0

We have three vehicles.
1995 Dodge Dakota pickup, 105k miles (mostly just used for rural stuff like hay bales). Bought used in 1998.
2001 Nissan Maxima GXE, 215k miles. Bought new in 2001.
And the "new car": 2008 Acura TL-S, 125k miles. Bought new in 2008.

The only reason we will buy another car anytime soon is for better safety features like blind spot notifications and adaptive cruise control.
That will happen sooner than later if my project is financially successful; otherwise, given the low mileage we put on the cars, even that isn't a big priority.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 am
vnatale wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

ROCI.jpeg

Now it has 153,000.

Vinny

We have three vehicles.
1995 Dodge Dakota pickup, 105k miles (mostly just used for rural stuff like hay bales). Bought used in 1998.

The only reason we will buy another car anytime soon is for better safety features like blind spot notifications and adaptive cruise control.
That will happen sooner than later if my project is financially successful; otherwise, given the low mileage we put on the cars, even that isn't a big priority.
I buy my cars old and used and do keep them until they can go no longer. My four car purchases.

1991 - 1984 Honda Accord with about 140,000 miles. Drove it to the junkyard with 248,000 miles in 2005. Engine was still perfect, not burning a drop of oil but being a New England car for over 21 years it was falling apart everywhere due to rust. Therefore stopped using car when it was 21 years old.

1997 - 1986 Honda Accord with 65,000 miles. Stopped using this one in 2007 as it was requiring $2,000 in repairs at that point. Disappointing that I only had until about 180,000 miles. Again stopped using this one when it was 21 years old.

2007 - 1995 Honda Accord with 142,000 miles. Sold that one in 2013 for $800 when it had about 185,000 miles. Stopped using this one when it was still only a baby. Only 18 years old!

2013 - 2004 Honda Accord with 123,000 and now 153,000 and counting. Now 16 years old.

I'm sure no one would ever guess what total price I paid for all four vehicles. Hint: A lot less than what people pay for just one new vehicle!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

ROCI.jpeg

Now it has 153,000.

Vinny

We have three vehicles.

I buy my cars old and used and do keep them until they can go no longer. My four car purchases.

1991 - 1984 Honda Accord with about 140,000 miles. Drove it to the junkyard with 248,000 miles in 2005. Engine was still perfect, not burning a drop of oil but being a New England car for over 21 years it was falling apart everywhere due to rust. Therefore stopped using car when it was 21 years old.

1997 - 1986 Honda Accord with 65,000 miles. Stopped using this one in 2007 as it was requiring $2,000 in repairs at that point. Disappointing that I only had until about 180,000 miles. Again stopped using this one when it was 21 years old.

2007 - 1995 Honda Accord with 142,000 miles. Sold that one in 2013 for $800 when it had about 185,000 miles. Stopped using this one when it was still only a baby. Only 18 years old!

2013 - 2004 Honda Accord with 123,000 and now 153,000 and counting. Now 16 years old.

I'm sure no one would ever guess what total price I paid for all four vehicles. Hint: A lot less than what people pay for just one new vehicle!

Vinny
I like new cars because I don't have to worry about how the previous owner abused them. But your approach works if you don't mind the possibility of spending more time at the repair shop.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 am

I bought some books today. ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

books.png
books.png (97.93 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:36 am

Interesting to see people's auto fleet and thanks for recommendations! I asked mainly because I have completely ignored the car market since 1998, which is when I last bought a car (VW Golf). After I moved to NYC it was parked at my mom's house in NJ, and used by her & visitors as an extra car. I got rid of it several years ago. It was a nice little car though...did great on the drive from CA to NY.

I'm aware of the garage options in my neighborhood, but $400/month on top of insurance is not too appetizing. My coop has a private driveway where I can park for free during the day, and overnight for $20/night (garages charge $30 and expect a tip on top of that). As a friend pointed out, I'm already paying for that amenity (via relatively high property taxes) so might as well use it. The idea is that it's a backup if I can't find street parking.

Vinny, you are definitely a Honda Accord fan! And I'm with you on the buying used plan, that's what I'm going for. I'll add one more criteria to my list though: I don't want a high theft rate car, given my expectations that crime will continue to increase unchecked, plus that makes them expensive to insure. Hondas and Toyotas tend to be attractive targets. Most of the cars I saw on the street were Subarus, which have a reputation for frequent breakdowns last I was aware - is that still the case? They are described as being on the costly side for repairs on repairman.com.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:59 am

The Honda Fit is appealing. The Fit handles my desire for a manual transmission. The other Hondas have gone to turbos and I don't understand why.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:16 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

ROCI.jpeg

Now it has 153,000.

Vinny

We have three vehicles.

Vinny
I like new cars because I don't have to worry about how the previous owner abused them. But your approach works if you don't mind the possibility of spending more time at the repair shop.
With my latest car, I've spent little time there over the past 6+ years. Sometimes none a year. And, while I'm there I'm reading and listening to music so not the end of the world.

My approach has also resulted in a much bigger investment portfolio because that is where all the car purchase savings go.

Also fits with my bargain hunting / maximum value personality.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 am
I bought some books today. ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

books.png
I've read many different versions of the middle one.

Just checked. Own six different editions / versions of it. Earliest one is from 1973.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:36 am
Interesting to see people's auto fleet and thanks for recommendations! I asked mainly because I have completely ignored the car market since 1998, which is when I last bought a car (VW Golf). After I moved to NYC it was parked at my mom's house in NJ, and used by her & visitors as an extra car. I got rid of it several years ago. It was a nice little car though...did great on the drive from CA to NY.

I'm aware of the garage options in my neighborhood, but $400/month on top of insurance is not too appetizing. My coop has a private driveway where I can park for free during the day, and overnight for $20/night (garages charge $30 and expect a tip on top of that). As a friend pointed out, I'm already paying for that amenity (via relatively high property taxes) so might as well use it. The idea is that it's a backup if I can't find street parking.

Vinny, you are definitely a Honda Accord fan! And I'm with you on the buying used plan, that's what I'm going for. I'll add one more criteria to my list though: I don't want a high theft rate car, given my expectations that crime will continue to increase unchecked, plus that makes them expensive to insure. Hondas and Toyotas tend to be attractive targets. Most of the cars I saw on the street were Subarus, which have a reputation for frequent breakdowns last I was aware - is that still the case? They are described as being on the costly side for repairs on repairman.com.
I might think an older Honda Accord might not be as an attractive a target?

I'd look at Craigslist and look for an older one but with low mileage. Although for a Honda, up to 145,000 could be considered low mileage.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 am

Just checked. Own six different editions / versions of it. Earliest one is from 1973.

Vinny
I have always wondered how much the original 1973 edition differs from later editions. I have the 10th and 11th editions. I've actually read the 12th from the library, but liked it enough that I've finally decided to nab it. ;D

I am most excited for the factor book!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:54 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 am

Vinny
I have always wondered how much the original 1973 edition differs from later editions. I have the 10th and 11th editions. I've actually read the 12th from the library, but liked it enough that I've finally decided to nab it. ;D

I am most excited for the factor book!
They definitely undergo significant revisions with each new addition.

Vinny