Jordan Peterson's Influence On My Life

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Jordan Peterson's Influence On My Life

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 pm

This Reddit post hit me right in the feels. I am a big Jordan Peterson fan, and in the past I have had trouble communicating why I actually like him so much. He is quite divisive in the millennial and Gen Z crowd. This person hit the nail right on the head.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JordanPeterson ... he_is_the/
Jordan Peterson is so popular because he is the ONLY person telling young men that they have value.

First off, I'd like to make it clear that this isn't about whether JP is right or wrong. It's simply about his popularity with young boys.

Our current femcentric society is so incredibly anti male that many of our boys are going their entire young lives without a single person telling them that they are a good person and that they have value and that they can do hard things.

Our girls are constantly surrounded by positive encouragement and "you can do anything!" and "you're perfect the way you are!" and such, which, I think is wonderful! I am in no way diminishing those positive messages for girls.

Boys, however, are told that men are the cause of all the problems of society, that they need to be taught how to not rape, that they have privledge, that they should make way for women in college, that women deserve jobs more than them, etc.

Basically constantly told that they are a problem and if only they could be as good as women, all the worlds problems would be solved.

Jordan Peterson is really the only voice out there telling young boys, "hey, you matter! You're a good person and you can do hard things! Why don't you start by cleaning your room?"

The fact that he is so popular is testament that our boys are starved for anyone to tell them they are good.
It also took reading this person's post to realize that I never had much of a father figure growing up in life. That's the reason I think I've naturally gravitated towards his books and speeches. Life got a lot better and I gained a lot of self-confidence after following some basic things he was advising young men to do.

What are your guys' thoughts on the man?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Jordan Peterson's Influence On My Life

Post by Hal » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 pm
This Reddit post hit me right in the feels. I am a big Jordan Peterson fan, and in the past I have had trouble communicating why I actually like him so much. He is quite divisive in the millennial and Gen Z crowd. This person hit the nail right on the head.

Jordan Peterson is so popular because he is the ONLY person telling young men that they have value.

First off, I'd like to make it clear that this isn't about whether JP is right or wrong. It's simply about his popularity with young boys.

Our current femcentric society is so incredibly anti male that many of our boys are going their entire young lives without a single person telling them that they are a good person and that they have value and that they can do hard things.

Our girls are constantly surrounded by positive encouragement and "you can do anything!" and "you're perfect the way you are!" and such, which, I think is wonderful! I am in no way diminishing those positive messages for girls.

Boys, however, are told that men are the cause of all the problems of society, that they need to be taught how to not rape, that they have privledge, that they should make way for women in college, that women deserve jobs more than them, etc.

Basically constantly told that they are a problem and if only they could be as good as women, all the worlds problems would be solved.

Jordan Peterson is really the only voice out there telling young boys, "hey, you matter! You're a good person and you can do hard things! Why don't you start by cleaning your room?"

The fact that he is so popular is testament that our boys are starved for anyone to tell them they are good.
It also took reading this person's post to realize that I never had much of a father figure growing up in life. That's the reason I think I've naturally gravitated towards his books and speeches. Life got a lot better and I gained a lot of self-confidence after following some basic things he was advising young men to do.

From the little I have watched, he seems quite reasonable and bases his arguments on facts. He even apologised to one group he attacked when he realised they were correct.

A friend was so impressed with him he gave me his book "12 rules for life" which I must read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Edit: Another good listen: https://librivox.org/the-meditations-of ... -aurelius/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Agreed, Smithers. Boys and men in recent times have been starved for empowering messages, especially ones that articulately draw from the deep intellectual well of history, myth, and archetype.

Jordan Peterson has been scratching that itch.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Don't forget about men's portrayal in fiction these days, particularly on TV. Men making bumbling mistakes and being bailed out by their wives is practically the theme of most sitcoms. Women are always the brains of the outfit. And now often they're making the money too. What good are the men?

The message is that young men are expected to remain children for their entire lives, being mothered first by their mothers and then by their wives. Nobody is telling them that they need to be preparing to be the heads of their households. Nobody is telling them they need to provide for their families.

In the TV of old, men were not treated this way. Ward Cleaver, Dick van Dyke (er.. Rob Petrie), and what's-his-name on "Father Knows Best" were all loved and respected by their families. Andy Griffith (er.. Taylor) was not a bumbling oaf.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 pm
Don't forget about men's portrayal in fiction these days, particularly on TV. Men making bumbling mistakes and being bailed out by their wives is practically the theme of most sitcoms. Women are always the brains of the outfit. And now often they're making the money too. What good are the men?

The message is that young men are expected to remain children for their entire lives, being mothered first by their mothers and then by their wives. Nobody is telling them that they need to be preparing to be the heads of their households. Nobody is telling them they need to provide for their families.

In the TV of old, men were not treated this way. Ward Cleaver, Dick van Dyke (er.. Rob Petrie), and what's-his-name on "Father Knows Best" were all loved and respected by their families. Andy Griffith (er.. Taylor) was not a bumbling oaf.
I think this denigration of men has been going on for a long time.
Recently it has reached a fever pitch.
Hopefully the pendulum is about to swing back the other way because I think we are near or maybe at peak wokeness.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

You know, Smithers, I think you have your head on pretty straight. Jordan Peterson seems like a decent and smart man. I don't get too much out of him, (other than admiring his outstanding communication skills) but probably because I am already old and I already pretty much agree with him.

From what I can tell from your postings, Mr Adam Smith 1776 sir, any young man or woman would be happy to have you as a father. Keep reading Jordan's stuff. Keep reading other great literature. I know you do. And keep thinking deeply about life. You and yours will do well.

I wish you great success in finding a gal that shares your values. Just don't lose your damn driver's license again :)

I look forward to the world that you and your family create.

Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

Don't know him at all but an author who wrote books in the 70s pointed out that even back then men's were least valued. An example was when so many are killed in some event, they'd say "and so many women and children" like that was not supposed to happen to them but it was acceptable and the norm that the men would get killed.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:59 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:50 pm
Don't know him at all but an author who wrote books in the 70s pointed out that even back then men's were least valued. An example was when so many are killed in some event, they'd say "and so many women and children" like that was not supposed to happen to them but it was acceptable and the norm that the men would get killed.
I see that one differently, Vinny. It IS an extra level of horror when women and children are killed. Take the Titanic, for example. The great majority of the survivors were women and children, because the men knew it was their duty to lay down their lives so that women and children could survive.

It honors and elevates women to believe them worthy of saving, and it honors and elevates men to believe them worthy and willing to give themselves up to save others.

I don't think there's any greater way to say "you matter; you can do things" than to say that it is your duty to protect and defend the women and children in your life, even to the point of your own death.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:15 am

Xan wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:59 am
I don't think there's any greater way to say "you matter; you can do things" than to say that it is your duty to protect and defend the women and children in your life, even to the point of your own death.
That's an interesting way of looking at it, Xan, but it's implicit in that line of thinking that mens' lives are more expendable, and women and children are more worthy of saving.

That doesn't mean it's not honorable to give your life to save others. But to say that I matter because I can choose to drown instead of someone else doesn't sound very empowering to me (other than indicating I have control over what to do with my life and when/whether to give it, which at least indicates I have free will!)
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:21 am

I've listened to a number of his YouTubes and it's really hard to fathom why anything he says is considered "controversial". Sounds like plain old wisdom and common sense to me. I guess what they really mean by controversial is that he is strongly anti-Marxist.

Another controversial anti-Marxist who influenced my own thinking a lot was Thomas Sowell (and he's very good at dismantling Marxism because he used to be one).

If the two of them could become required reading in high school I think it would change this country completely. I wouldn't bet on it happening though.
Last edited by pp4me on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am

drumminj wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:15 am
Xan wrote:
That's an interesting way of looking at it, Xan, but it's implicit in that line of thinking that mens' lives are more expendable, and women and children are more worthy of saving.

That doesn't mean it's not honorable to give your life to save others. But to say that I matter because I can choose to drown instead of someone else doesn't sound very empowering to me (other than indicating I have control over what to do with my life and when/whether to give it, which at least indicates I have free will!)
Much better well said (and concisely) than I ever could!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 am

drumminj wrote:
Xan wrote:

Women are more worthy than men if you value continuation of the species. It takes only one man if you want a thousand babies but it takes hundreds of women. ;)

Secondly, you really think you have free will? ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 am
drumminj wrote:
Xan wrote:

Women are more worthy than men if you value continuation of the species. It takes only one man if you want a thousand babies but it takes hundreds of women. ;)

1. Women who bear children are more worthy than men in that regard.
That leaves out almost all modern feminists.
2. You just had to say that, didn't you?
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:04 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 am

From a procreation point of view, I don't disagree with your first comment. But clearly society doesn't currently prioritize based on that criteria -- there are all kinds of things we prefer/promote/value that are at odds with continuation of the species as animals -- monogamy, for example. I think it's fair to assume we're discussing this in the context of our current society/culture?

I don't want to debate whether we have free will or not regardless, but I actually mis-spoke and intended more that I'd have some sense of individual freedom, as I'd have agency over what to do with my own life.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:31 pm

You know, Smithers, I think you have your head on pretty straight. Jordan Peterson seems like a decent and smart man. I don't get too much out of him, (other than admiring his outstanding communication skills) but probably because I am already old and I already pretty much agree with him.

From what I can tell from your postings, Mr Adam Smith 1776 sir, any young man or woman would be happy to have you as a father. Keep reading Jordan's stuff. Keep reading other great literature. I know you do. And keep thinking deeply about life. You and yours will do well.

I wish you great success in finding a gal that shares your values. Just don't lose your damn driver's license again :)

I look forward to the world that you and your family create.

Mark
Wow, thank you for the kind and uplifting words. I really don't know what to say.

Well, except that I will reiterate what I've posted a few times before. When I get married, the regular posters of the forum will definitely be invited!

Thank you for being such a great Internet friend! I always value your wise input and counsel.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 pm

I have read through 12 Rules for Life once before, but I think I will make my way through it again starting this week. Like you guys have been discussing, for young men Jordan Peterson is like a father figure that they perhaps never had. One of the big keys to me was how constructive his advice was rather than nagging. Honestly, reading/listening to some of his stuff made me choke up a little at a few points as I definitely got the father vibe.

"Stand up straight with your shoulders back. Speak your truth. Pick up your suffering and bear it. Do your best to live forthrightly in the world!"

His discussions with Joe Rogan on the JRE podcast are absolutely amazing.

https://youtu.be/04wyGK6k6HE

https://youtu.be/vIeFt88Hm8s

https://youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ

https://youtu.be/9Xc7DN-noAc

https://youtu.be/6T7pUEZfgdI

His latest one which is my favourite one by FAR: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 pm
Absolute classic.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:03 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 pm
Absolute classic.
Agreed. He really took it to the next level in that interview. Never giving up is a simple yet powerful virtue.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:50 am

I’m glad you like ‘12 Rules’, Smith. I got the hardcover when it came out, was all excited about it, posted about it here, and got only negative feedback. Not “this guy sucks” but more “not impressed” and a sprinkling of, “he’s a plagiarist.” He almost certainly does borrow from smarter, more original thinkers and he doesn’t get everything right, but I just found the book very digestible, and I wish I had read something like it at your age.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:26 am

Mr. Peterson is my workout partner this morning! O0

4DF2608A-8EEB-428A-B41D-93BE65270B21.jpeg
4DF2608A-8EEB-428A-B41D-93BE65270B21.jpeg (612.95 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:50 am
I’m glad you like ‘12 Rules’, Smith. I got the hardcover when it came out, was all excited about it, posted about it here, and got only negative feedback. Not “this guy sucks” but more “not impressed” and a sprinkling of, “he’s a plagiarist.” He almost certainly does borrow from smarter, more original thinkers and he doesn’t get everything right, but I just found the book very digestible, and I wish I had read something like it at your age.
Really? Even here? I find that rather surprising. I would have thought this crowd would be quite taken with his work.

In terms of popular opinion these days I really don't understand why he gets as much flak as he does. As for him being a "plagiarist" I personally see his work as just being well sourced and backed up.

I, too, find his work very practical and implementable. That's more important to me than a bunch of highfalutin jibber jabber. The one thing I admire about him most is his willingness to publicly stand up against the wave of political correctness espoused by the left.

"There's 40 genders so far and more are coming!!!! GET READY."

"Ummmm. No. And here's why."

Love it.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 am

This interview was my first introduction to him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 pm

drumminj wrote:
Xan wrote:

I disagree with the assumption that the person who gives up his life for another is less valued. I think it's quite the opposite. Look at Christ, for example.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 pm
I disagree with the assumption that the person who gives up his life for another is less valued. I think it's quite the opposite. Look at Christ, for example.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say their death is valued rather than their life?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 pm
drumminj wrote:
Xan wrote:

Of course that is the entre for these (famous) Bible Verses:

12This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Vinny