The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm
A good Tom Woods podcast recently discussed the problems with Abe Lincoln. The historian being interviewed said that the states prior to the Civil War made up a republic. Whereas the states after the civil war are a "union" essentially in the same sense as the Soviet Union was a union, i.e. under coercion. The media are just Pravda spouting the party line to keep the fiction of a republic and the reality of this new "union" going.

He also debunked the starry eyed view that the Civil War was due to the north wanting to free the slaves. It sounds like it was fought mainly over economic issues, which is much more believable to me, as that seems the primary motivation to war.
NO one in the North went to War to free the slaves. Purportedly, it was to save the Union. But as is usually the case, it was pure economic interests that caused each side to go to war.

The South needed to have new states in the West be slave states as King Cotton constantly needed more land.

For the North, if the South was allowed to secede as a separate country the monied people in the North would lose their investments in the South and they'd be at the mercy of whatever prices the South wanted to charge for cotton. Finally, Lincoln knew the fledgling Republican Party would soon go extinct if so soon as its formation, the South permanently seceded from the country.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm

NO one in the North went to War to free the slaves. Purportedly, it was to save the Union. But as is usually the case, it was pure economic interests that caused each side to go to war.

The South needed to have new states in the West be slave states as King Cotton constantly needed more land.

For the North, if the South was allowed to secede as a separate country the monied people in the North would lose their investments in the South and they'd be at the mercy of whatever prices the South wanted to charge for cotton. Finally, Lincoln knew the fledgling Republican Party would soon go extinct if so soon as its formation, the South permanently seceded from the country.

Vinny
I wish I learned more about American history in school instead of such a strong focus on Canadian history.

Stories about the Hudson's Bay Company don't exactly stoke people's interest.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am
Re, the topic name: if the left is eating itself, Trump has swallowed the republican party whole.

I enjoyed the interview. Pretty sure Biden now has enough material to make any number of campaign commercials with it. There are just too many golden nuggets to count.

But, yep, CNN, Cillizza, another communist propagandist, like Chris Wallace, finds 55 nuggets! Go ahead, refute any/all of this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics ... index.html
This is all the same out-of-context quotes that all the Marxist media use. And yes, CNN is a participant in the same propaganda.

Here, I'll show you how it's done.

You said, "Trump has enough material to make any number of campaign commercials. There are just too many golden nuggets to count."

Obviously you were saying that the interview was a big success for Trump!

But there were words left out? Exactly.

This is so intellectually dishonest that I'm going to killfile you. I'm sure someone else will let me know if you decide to have an honest discussion.
Well, tech finally put me on ignore. At least that's what I think killfile means. Enjoy your echo chamber!

But really, for the others here, since tech won't do it, please take one or two of the clips from his interview and tell me how it was taken out of context. I'm not seeing it but I assume I have 8 dimensional triple bypass TDS.

Here, I'll make it easy. Two from the clips:

1) "I'll be right eventually. I will be right eventually. You know I said, 'It's going to disappear.' I'll say it again."

tech would say, well, he will be right eventually. So factually, Trump told the truth.

2) "We're going to name it after the Reverend Al Sharpton? What are you going to name it, Chris, tell me what you're going to name it?"

hmm, no underhanded dog whistle to the people worried about black folk destroying America in that...nahhh, he was just joking! He could have plucked any name out of the air but he picks a divisive civil rights black guy. Uh huh.

***Sorry all, I am a little hot and bothered tonight. Many people on the local NextDoor site are just freaking out about sending kids to school in August. And sadly, maybe if we had some coordinated leadership on the virus, we would be in a better spot and not worried about whether school actually starts or not.

But I am seriously asking why it seems so many other first world countries have fared much better than us. Where could we have done better?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Screeching woman with 6-foot tape measure, upset about social distancing violations, has to be physically restrained and taken away.
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/12 ... distancing
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 am

Corto, it’s been well established that Trump falls far short of your expectations. There is no defense or support of Trump that will change that.

Who or what are you proposing as an alternative? If it’s Joe Biden and the Democrats, what can you say to defend or support their behavior and the direction they appear to want to take the country?

Because that’s the choice we’re faced with here. The election is not just an isolated judgment on Trump.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 am
Corto, it’s been well established that Trump falls far short of your expectations. There is no defense or support of Trump that will change that.

Who or what are you proposing as an alternative? If it’s Joe Biden and the Democrats, what can you say to defend or support their behavior and the direction they appear to want to take the country?

Because that’s the choice we’re faced with here. The election is not just an isolated judgment on Trump.
I know and that's what sucks. Personally I wanted Mayor Pete, but I know that was a long shot. I am still hoping beyond hope that someone else jumps in on the democratic side.

But assuming not, I can't take another 4 years of politics that overtly divide us into groups. I'd rather have Biden who at least appears to try to unify people in most instances.

At this point I have friends on FB who are deeply divided on school reopening, on NextDoor the same, and basically any other subject as well. Like crazy deep seated anger at people who don't hold their positions. And obviously here. Very few seem to be able to have a rational discussion that doesn't turn hot.

Whether that is just a normal evolution of social media or something else, I don't know.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm
But I am seriously asking why it seems so many other first world countries have fared much better than us. Where could we have done better?
Probably belongs in the Coronavirus thread, but this is a really good question that has not been seriously addressed in the media. They just flippantly claim it's because other countries had a "national response" or stricter/longer lockdowns, but that's absolutely not true. The best counterexample is Sweden, which never locked down and still managed to look good compared to the US. Germany also implemented minimal lockdown measures on a national level, and otherwise left it up to local governments. And Denmark specifically instructed its citizens NOT to wear face masks.

Here's my guesses as to reasons for the higher US caseload: 1) more testing in the US than anywhere else, with more reliable/sensitive tests, 2) a much larger underclass than other first world countries including a huge illegal immigrant population, with a high rate of medical risk factors, 3) we did a terrible job of protecting nursing homes early on, and 4) because of the way hospitals document reasons for admission & diagnoses, COVID cases include anyone admitted to the hospital for any reason who happen to test positive - and hospitals test all admissions, both emergency and elective.

I also think a lot of non-First world countries like Russia, China, Brazil etc are severely under-testing and/or under-reporting. Probably the only reliable case numbers come from the US and Europe.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:09 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm
A good Tom Woods podcast recently discussed the problems with Abe Lincoln. The historian being interviewed said that the states prior to the Civil War made up a republic. Whereas the states after the civil war are a "union" essentially in the same sense as the Soviet Union was a union, i.e. under coercion. The media are just Pravda spouting the party line to keep the fiction of a republic and the reality of this new "union" going.

He also debunked the starry eyed view that the Civil War was due to the north wanting to free the slaves. It sounds like it was fought mainly over economic issues, which is much more believable to me, as that seems the primary motivation to war.

Vinny
Pretty much accurate. Too bad they don't teach that in schools.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:10 am

Maddy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 pm
Screeching woman with 6-foot tape measure, upset about social distancing violations, has to be physically restrained and taken away.
Did they obey social distancing while restraining her? >:D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:05 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 pm
I wish I learned more about American history in school instead of such a strong focus on Canadian history.

Stories about the Hudson's Bay Company don't exactly stoke people's interest.
I’m trying to think if I was taught any Canadian history other than pre-Canada exploration.
... ???
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:24 am

Maddy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 pm
I took a look and was not disappointed O0
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 am
I'd rather have Biden who at least appears to try to unify people in most instances.
I don't at all see Biden as "unifying" people--if you're talking about unifying left with right. What you may be interpreting as "unification" is Biden's potential ability to calm down the radical left by giving them what they want. Things naturally tend to be perceived as more unified when cities aren't being torched.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 am

Maddy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
I'd rather have Biden who at least appears to try to unify people in most instances.
I don't at all see Biden as "unifying" people--if you're talking about unifying left with right. What you may be interpreting as "unification" is Biden's potential ability to calm down the radical left by giving them what they want. Things naturally tend to be perceived as more unified when cities aren't being torched.

Yes, but of course appeasement won’t work with terrorists. It just emboldens them to demand more.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Exactly. I am Libertarian so I was not a fan of Bush Jr or Obama. But I could clearly see that in the final months of the Bush administration the media portrayed the country as in complete shambles, led by nightly film of Cindy Sheehan Code Pink protests and a mortgage crisis blamed squarely on Bush policies. Then it seems the minute Obama took office, the clouds parted, the birds came out to sing and Cindy Sheehan disappeared from public view. So from that perspective, Obama was a unifier for sure. Now out in fly-over country, people were still divided. But it was not portrayed that way.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:28 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Exactly. I am Libertarian so I was not a fan of Bush Jr or Obama. But I could clearly see that in the final months of the Bush administration the media portrayed the country as in complete shambles, led by nightly film of Cindy Sheehan Code Pink protests and a mortgage crisis blamed squarely on Bush policies. Then it seems the minute Obama took office, the clouds parted, the birds came out to sing and Cindy Sheehan disappeared from public view. So from that perspective, Obama was a unifier for sure. Now out in fly-over country, people were still divided. But it was not portrayed that way.
Obama was not a unifier, the narrative just changed.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06 am

Simonjester wrote: Mayor Lori Lightfoot (Chicago) is against federal help quelling the riots and violence...
apparently she has it under control?? https://heyjackass.com/
Yes, she has it completely under control. Everything is proceeding exactly according to plan to usher in the New World Order heaven on earth!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 am

I know Obama is incredibly unpopular here, and comparing himself to Trayvon was not unifiying*, but I just want to say even he was against cancel culture.

*good posts about Trayvon Martin by PointedStick back in the day.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:52 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 am
I know Obama is incredibly unpopular here, and comparing himself to Trayvon was not unifiying*, but I just want to say even he was against cancel culture.

*good posts about Trayvon Martin by PointedStick back in the day.
No one to the right of Stalin is in favor of cancel culture. That used to be basically the entire population, but now it's only 95%: another silent majority.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Just to show that while I disagree with this topic I do have a (tiny) sense of humor...

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 pm

And, just sent him a Connect request on LinkedIn.

Here is his experience / education:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.98 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Had never prior heard of his university. Seems better than average?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32.11 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:59 am

Thorough setup, Vinny, if a little drawn out. Now go for the punchline!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:12 am

I don’t get it, Vinny. Is this chartered accountant humor?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 am

a.jpg
a.jpg (20.26 KiB) Viewed 9369 times
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:21 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:12 am
I don’t get it, Vinny. Is this chartered accountant humor?
That someone with such an education and present job could engage in such activities! Do you agree he'd NOT fit the stereotype of who you'd expect?

Vinny