You can opt out of this subforum

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

You can opt out of this subforum

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 pm

If you are not generally interested in political discussions, you can elect to not receive notifications about new posts in this section. This is achieved by adding yourself to a group called "Non-Political".

When in this group, you can still read and write in this subforum. And you'll still receive notifications when there's a new post on a topic you are "watching" (by default, you're watching any thread to which you have posted). But threads in this subforum will not appear on your New Posts page.

To add yourself to the opt-out group:

* Click the little "person" icon at the upper right under the search bar.
* Click "User Control Panel".
* Click the "Usergroups" tab.
* Scroll down to the "Non-Memberships" section and click the radio button (under the "Select" header) corresponding to "Non-Political".
* Click the "Submit" button down towards the bottom-right.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: You can opt out of this subforum

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Thank you Xan!!! I joined the non-VP group.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm

Nice. Thanks.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I've noticed that threads in the Politics sub-forum do not show up at all if you aren't logged in and if you click on the sub-forum it requires you to login if you want to see the posts.

I only noticed this because I usually start with looking at "Active Topics" before deciding whether I want to login or not. You don't see any of the political posts if you do this.

I assume that was the intention?

Not a problem for me. Just an observation.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:16 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:03 pm
I've noticed that threads in the Politics sub-forum do not show up at all if you aren't logged in and if you click on the sub-forum it requires you to login if you want to see the posts.

I only noticed this because I usually start with looking at "Active Topics" before deciding whether I want to login or not. You don't see any of the political posts if you do this.

What downside do you see to choosing the setting of being automatically logged in whenever you come here? I definitely use and appreciate that available choice.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:17 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:03 pm

It was not the intention; apparently that's the default behavior for newly-created subforums. I believe it's fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 pm

What a great feature! Thanks, Xan.

I often unsubscribe to a topic after i tire of it (and resubscribe later) with that wrench icon button, but it feels good to be a card-carrying member of a whole Non-group.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Is this a trap to ban more people?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:09 pm

That's correct, Don!

However, since you posted it publicly instead of via private message like the rest of the members, you will not advance to the second round of The Trials. This also triggers the conclusion of round one.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:59 pm

we are all in this together, this is "OUR FORUM"
these are strange and uncertain times.. emotions run high, the constant drum beat of "live in fear, live in fear, live in fear, is taking its toll. and some of the things we have been posting reflect this.
i have been reading members posts here for a long time, and i can say with a high degree of certainty that every one of us can recognize trollish posts.. i can also say with a high degree of certainty every one of us has the intelligence and self control necessary to NOT respond in kind.. this is the politics sub forum and the act of opting in and posting is fundamentally an agreement to disagree..

-so lets do so with some class

lets avoid the types of partisan arguments, and cheep shot trolling that are found amongst the brain washed masses/low information public on (every) other form of media.. if you feel the need to antagonize people with other views " go do so anywhere else"
fear and uncertainty are tough, and we being pushed further and further in opposite directions when we are exposed to it (especially when it starts to seem to be fear and uncertainty with out end) lets try to talk each other back from the edge, and not try to push each other over it. lets start treating this forum as a place to escape from the crap discourse that has permeated our culture, not a place to roll in it...

the bottom line is we have more in common than differences, we all have an interest in making this forum someplace special, lets disagree with civility, friendship, and humor, lets make sure the jabs and pokes we take at each other are done without malice, that we argue in good faith, that we stop trolling each other, and that we reserve this forum as the community where we bring our best, and help each other get through all the uncertainty, not make it worse..

lets all take responsibility and spend the time to bring our best to our post, and gently remind each other of the goal when we fall short.
-making moderation, banning,and thread locking, unnecessary is up to you..
- resorting to these options when we are given no choice.... will happen if needed...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Here here. It's been a downward spiral the past few months. I forget the Politics subforum exists unless I get a report.
If you want to participate in the subforum, please take the high road.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:32 am

An update: we're experimenting with a new rule, one that limits our more contentious posters to one post every 4 hours. Right now this affects very few people. If it's affecting you and you think it shouldn't, PM me.

The goal is to lower the temperature on the Politics subforum. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to apply the rule only to that subforum.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Good on you Xan for taking action!
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Apparently the previous update wasn't posted here and it should have been. It was posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11710&p=218319#p218272

and consisted of:

Update: we've been able to hack something together so that there's a rate limit on the subforum rather than on users. This is fairer, and gives us a "knob" to easily turn to attempt to dial down the temperature if things get ugly, and then relax if things are good.

No user is now rate-limited.

The Politics subforum is now rate-limited by user: nobody can post more frequently than once every two hours. We'll start here and see how it goes. The hope is that it will encourage thoughtfulness in posting as opposed to reactivity, and will allow everybody to get a word in (if they want to).
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:20 pm

And now there's another update: a member has requested that the delay be reduced, and let's go ahead and try that. It's now set to 30 minutes instead of 2 hours. This is all an experiment. Let's see how it goes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:20 pm

And now there's another update: a member has requested that the delay be reduced, and let's go ahead and try that. It's now set to 30 minutes instead of 2 hours. This is all an experiment. Let's see how it goes.

Xan.

You have handled this all quite well. I applaud your efforts and the results.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Can I sell Politics subforum post credits to other users? We'll need a market maker....
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Aha! A way to monetize the forum!