How to get started in physical

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

How to get started in physical

Post by jalanlong » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:01 pm

I am ready to move from Gold ETFs into the world of physical. I have some silver coins already (Eagles, Maple Leaves, Philharmonics) but buying gold seems a bit trickier to me. I have read many posts where people claim they look for the lower premiums. But with so many different coins and so many different dealers, how do you go about finding the lower premiums without spending hours and hours searching hundreds of websites? Do most of you just have a handful of go-to sites you check and go with whatever the lowest premium is among those sites?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How to get started in physical

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:17 pm

I've bought from Colorado Gold and Goldmart. They had low premiums and didn't seem shady. No issues. APMex also seems legit. I've got Maple Leafs, Krugs, and Eages, but I don't see any issues with just buying Krugs or Maple Leafs if they have the lowest premiums. Everyone knows the most popular coins.

I think Craig had said to look for places with <5% premiums, if memory serves. I don't know if any places have premiums that low right now.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:57 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:01 pm
I am ready to move from Gold ETFs into the world of physical. I have some silver coins already (Eagles, Maple Leaves, Philharmonics) but buying gold seems a bit trickier to me. I have read many posts where people claim they look for the lower premiums. But with so many different coins and so many different dealers, how do you go about finding the lower premiums without spending hours and hours searching hundreds of websites? Do most of you just have a handful of go-to sites you check and go with whatever the lowest premium is among those sites?
Is there some dealer local?
Check with them, and maybe in many smaller lots.
Not sure if they are like banks, and report over a certain Dollar amount.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:01 pm
Www.findbullionprices.com.

That's the best site.

Personally I've bought from apmex, sdbullion, jmbullion, providentmetals, monumentmetals, moneymetals, scottsdalemint and a few others. I will vouch for any of then.

Once you start buying physical you will think paper silver and gold is a joke and a scam maybe but certainly a huge risk. I had slv and gld and sgol before getting physical.

You do not want to have gld when the whole world is after the metal. You will be SOL. Get physical. The premiums are nothing and you'll get them back when you sell.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:58 am

https://sdbullion.com/5-us-commemorativ ... s-bu-proof

Amazing deal today.

Fractional US gold bullion, legal tender at 1.5% over spot.

I'll be picking up a few.

This is the BEST way to get into fractional today. Buy one and dip your toes in.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:15 am

IIRC, premiums on fractional bullion were much higher than that last time I bought. That seems like a very good deal.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:13 am

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:58 am
https://sdbullion.com/5-us-commemorativ ... s-bu-proof

Amazing deal today.

Fractional US gold bullion, legal tender at 1.5% over spot.

I'll be picking up a few.

This is the BEST way to get into fractional today. Buy one and dip your toes in.
That does sound like a good deal!
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm

I pulled the trigger on 2 of them. They also let you add a one ounce silver freedom round at spot so why not.

This is the perfect example of what I look for if I'm going to buy anything other than Eagles or Buffalos. It has to be fractional at a really close price to spot to make it worthwhile. The fact that it's US mint and legal us coinage/tender makes it an excellent deal.

Compare it to 1/4 ounce Eagles that I can't find anywhere online for less than 10% over spot and you can't beat it, even if the liquidity is a little lower.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:05 pm

https://sdbullion.com/1-2-oz-gold-coin-random-design

1/2 0z sovereign gold coins for 4.4% over spot is also pretty good, but don't expect any Eagles.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Anybody buy any metal today? Plenty of black friday deals out there.

I got a random date Gold eagle 1 oz for about $60 over spot from bullion exchanges. Got it right when spot hit about 1775 so $1,835 total.