I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investing

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investing

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am

l82start wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:32 am
politics has become all encompassing lately and its sad but we are in strange times... lock-downs, corona, trump being an ass, the specter of tyranny rising, economic and employment hardship, and an election gone wrong...

please be nice and try to avoid the adding to the toxic side of all this...
grown adults can have political and philosophical discussions with out acrimony..
Indeed be nice.
It is not a pleasant feeling to gaze into the mirror and realize who the problem is. That is why so many of us choose to live with a victim/oppressor worldview rather than face facts. I’ve heard that love begins at home even if you live alone. So does hate. >:D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am

i wont speak for Xan but i suspect we will keep things as they are..
he created a politics section to help deal with the influx of politics into everything. and it has cleaned up the other discussions area.

we are ALL getting burned out on the state of the world today and on the divisiveness it is causing.. but participation in discussions about it are voluntary..

we are all in this together so if you do participate... be good... be nice... be responsible for the quality of your posts (regardless of the side you take)
if something "somebody posted on the internet" is getting you riled up.. take a minute or a day... consider your reply and avoid feeding the drama..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 am

And if you don't split the politics off to a separate forum, and you want this to continue to be an investing forum only for the alt-right pro-Trumpers please at least have the courtesy to let us all know so we can quit wasting our time here and find somewhere else to go that isn't going to be hostile toward us.
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 am

l82start wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am

if something "somebody posted on the internet" is getting you riled up.. take a minute or a day... consider your reply and avoid feeding the drama..
Yes obviously we can just avoid the discussions related to politics. +1 for personal responsibility.

Frankly, I'll probably stick around no matter what since I've found the investing information invaluable and can tune out the politics.

But is it really worth alienating so many members and lowering the quality of the investment discussion just to satisfy the people who want to discuss politics all day? It's up to the moderators/admins of course.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:56 am

l82start wrote:
if something "somebody posted on the internet" is getting you riled up..
then they accomplished their goal
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 am
And if you don't split the politics off to a separate forum, and you want this to continue to be an investing forum only for the alt-right pro-Trumpers please at least have the courtesy to let us all know so we can quit wasting our time here and find somewhere else to go that isn't going to be hostile toward us.
nobody is trying to stop you from posting alt left views and we are not on the whole (or even in the minority) alt right..

you and i have been debating in good faith.. nothing you have said has me riled up or feeling like a victim... i think we have created some interesting content..

am i wrong?

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:00 am

mukramesh wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 am
l82start wrote:

Yes obviously we can just avoid the discussions related to politics. +1 for personal responsibility.

Frankly, I'll probably stick around no matter what since I've found the investing information invaluable and can tune out the politics.

But is it really worth alienating so many members and lowering the quality of the investment discussion just to satisfy the people who want to discuss politics all day? It's up to the moderators/admins of course.
This is not like we are all in a room where only one person at a time gets to speak and, therefore, can dominate the discussion.

Here many of us can be "speaking" at the same time and each "listener" has full choice to decide to whom to listen to and on which topics.

It's why I love this form of communication rather than in-person, live with a group of people.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am

l82start wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am
pmward wrote:
nobody is trying to stop you from posting alt left views and we are not on the whole (or even in the minority) alt right..

you and i have been debating in good faith.. nothing you have said has me riled up or feeling like a victim... i think we have created some interesting content..

am i wrong?
I agree that me and you have had some constructive conversations. We both have been willing to meet in the middle and discuss things for the most part. The same cannot be said of others on this forum though. Also, I'm not "alt-left" so you would never get me bringing that junk here, I'm a centrist. Which is really the point I'm trying to make, even centrists find this place is hostile these days. Now we've reached a point where the forum has been basically split in two. It's not even split on R vs D, or "left" vs "right". It's split solely by Pro-Trump vs Anti-Trump. It just doesn't seem like a good environment. I miss the days when we could actually debate things here without being told by Tech that anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist (as he alluded to in this very thread earlier this morning). That language is hostile. It is basically a declaration of war against anyone who doesn't pledge full allegiance to Trump.
Last edited by pmward on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:14 am

Maybe the answer is to warn/temporarily-ban/permanently-ban the abrasive people.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 am

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 am
l82start wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am
pmward wrote:

am i wrong?
I agree that me and you have had some constructive conversations. We both have been willing to meet in the middle and discuss things for the most part. The same cannot be said of others on this forum though. Also, I'm not "alt-left" so you would never get me bringing that junk here, I'm a centrist. Which is really the point I'm trying to make, even centrists find this place is hostile these days. Now we've reached a point where the forum has been basically split in two. It just doesn't seem like a good environment. I miss the days when we could actually debate things here without being told by Tech that anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist (as he alluded to in this very thread earlier this morning). That language is hostile. It is basically a declaration of war against anyone who doesn't pledge full allegiance to Trump.
tech is mostly posting articles. and yes some of his comments are the same throwaway non arguments that the trash media right makes.. but then doodle and others are making the the same quantity of throwaway non arguments that the trash left media makes...
why is one side of this exchange (voluntary exchange ) a victim of the other? does the street not go both ways?

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 am

pmward wrote:
I miss the days when we could actually debate things here without being told by Tech that anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist (as he alluded to in this very thread earlier this morning).
Half the time I hear Trump talk he sounds like a communist! ;D

Since it's only half the time.....lesser of two evils for me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 am

mukramesh wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:14 am
Maybe the answer is to warn/temporarily-ban/permanently-ban the abrasive people.
Or, to chose to not engage with those you believe fall into that category. Fires don't keep going without burning material, correct?

I'm not at all advocating putting anyone on "Ignore". Just pick and choose who and what you respond to.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am

mukramesh wrote:
l82start wrote:

Perhaps they have alienated themselves. Another +1 here for personal responsibility.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 am
mukramesh wrote:
Or, to chose to not engage with those you believe fall into that category. Fires don't keep going without burning material, correct?
I totally agree with you from a personal responsibility perspective!
And Libertarian666, I have learned a lot from your posts as well and find your personal portfolio information very interesting.

But if I administrated a public forum, I'd want the quality of the primary content kept high. If many users are feeling alienated, perhaps there's a problem that should be addressed?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:24 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:18 am

"anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist".
Gotcha!
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am
mukramesh wrote:
l82start wrote:

Perhaps they have alienated themselves. Another +1 here for personal responsibility.
Perhaps they didn't alienate themselves... that's what we're discussing in this thread.
Last edited by mukramesh on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 am
pmward wrote:
I miss the days when we could actually debate things here without being told by Tech that anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist (as he alluded to in this very thread earlier this morning).

I'd like a reference to the post where I said that "anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist". I can't find it when reading through this thread.
That may have been hyperbole. But not so far from the truth.

From experiencing you here I can say you have way more of the 40 virtues of character than does Trump. However, I'd not ascribe to you the virtue of "tolerance" if that is one of the 40.

Vinny
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am
I agree the forum is being split in two directions and I vote we get rid of the finance and investing talk and focus on the politics. Politics is interesting and dynamically changing while the PP has been the same for 20+ years.

How hard is the permanent portfolio, really? The whole point is that it’s simple and brainless once you have it set up. Do we really need to keep discussing the best gold coin of 2020 to buy?

I come here for the politics and get sucked into reading about gold ETFs and it’s really distracting me from political conversation.
;D
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 am

tomfoolery wrote:
I agree the forum is being split in two directions and I vote we get rid of the finance and investing talk and focus on the politics.

How hard is the permanent portfolio, really? The whole point is that it’s simple and brainless once you have it set up. Do we really need to keep discussing the best gold coin of 2020 to buy?

I come here for the politics and get sucked into reading about gold ETFs and it’s really distracting me from political conversation.
AHAHAHA.

since I've got you now, what is the best gold coin to buy in 2020 and you need to provide Judge-approved evidence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 am

mukramesh wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 am
mukramesh wrote:
I totally agree with you from a personal responsibility perspective!
And Libertarian666, I have learned a lot from your posts as well and find your personal portfolio information very interesting.

But if I administrated a public forum, I'd want the quality of the primary content kept high. If many users are feeling alienated, perhaps there's a problem that should be addressed?
That then puts way too much burden on the administrator / moderator who will be in the no win situation of aggravating everyone with his actions and pleasing almost no one.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am

tomfoolery wrote:
I agree the forum is being split in two directions and I vote we get rid of the finance and investing talk and focus on the politics. Politics is interesting and dynamically changing while the PP has been the same for 20+ years.

Our beloved Tomfoolery has spoken!

Amusing, as usual.

I also know this is your usual satirical comment. I for one still have tons of questions on specific implementation of various aspects of the Permanent Portfolio.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm

I don't understand. The whole point of the politics subforum was to keep politics separate from the rest of the site's content. As far as I can see it's been very successful so far. If you don't like the political content, then just don't browse this area? ???

I personally just don't see that there's a problem anymore. I almost never venture into this part of the forum and as a result the rest of the site is like an entirely new place to hang out.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
pmward wrote:

I'd like a reference to the post where I said that "anyone that doesn't support Trump is a communist". I can't find it when reading through this thread.

From experiencing you here I can say you have way more of the 40 virtues of character than does Trump. However, I'd not ascribe to you the virtue of "tolerance" if that is one of the 40.

Vinny
Thanks for the compliment.
However, it is not hyperbole to say that I said something that I clearly did not say: it is lying.
Hope that helps.
I was obviously intentionally exaggerating, i.e. hyperbole. You do the same exact thing all the time in many ways, including the whole "TDS" thing.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
However, it is not hyperbole to say that I said something that I clearly did not say: it is lying.
Hope that helps.
I was obviously intentionally exaggerating, i.e. hyperbole. You do the same exact thing all the time in many ways, including the whole "TDS" thing.
Thanks for admitting you are a liar.

As for TDS, that is not a lie or even an exaggeration. It is a psychosis, primarily of the delusional type but in some cases hallucinations may also be involved:

"Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. It’s a symptom of serious mental disorders. People who are experiencing psychosis may have either hallucinations or delusions.

Hallucinations are sensory experiences that occur within the absence of an actual stimulus. For example, a person having an auditory hallucination may hear their mother yelling at them when their mother isn’t around. Or someone having a visual hallucination may see something, like a person in front of them, who isn’t actually there.

The person experiencing psychosis may also have thoughts that are contrary to actual evidence. These thoughts are known as delusions. Some people with psychosis may also experience loss of motivation and social withdrawal.

These experiences can be frightening. They may also cause people who are experiencing psychosis to hurt themselves or others. It’s important to see a doctor right away if you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of psychosis."

(from https://www.healthline.com/health/psychosis)
Thank you for proving my point.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
SomeDude wrote:
pmward wrote:

Vinny
Hope that helps.
Thanks for admitting you are a liar.

As for TDS, that is not a lie or even an exaggeration. It is a psychosis, primarily of the delusional type but in some cases hallucinations may also be involved:

"Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. It’s a symptom of serious mental disorders. People who are experiencing psychosis may have either hallucinations or delusions.

Hallucinations are sensory experiences that occur within the absence of an actual stimulus. For example, a person having an auditory hallucination may hear their mother yelling at them when their mother isn’t around. Or someone having a visual hallucination may see something, like a person in front of them, who isn’t actually there.

The person experiencing psychosis may also have thoughts that are contrary to actual evidence. These thoughts are known as delusions. Some people with psychosis may also experience loss of motivation and social withdrawal.

These experiences can be frightening. They may also cause people who are experiencing psychosis to hurt themselves or others. It’s important to see a doctor right away if you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of psychosis."

(from https://www.healthline.com/health/psychosis)
Thank you for proving my point.
You're quite welcome. I hope you get the help you need soon.
I will on Jan 20th when Trump is booted out of office >:D