Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investing

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am
tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am
I agree the forum is being split in two directions and I vote we get rid of the finance and investing talk and focus on the politics. Politics is interesting and dynamically changing while the PP has been the same for 20+ years.

How hard is the permanent portfolio, really? The whole point is that it’s simple and brainless once you have it set up. Do we really need to keep discussing the best gold coin of 2020 to buy?

I come here for the politics and get sucked into reading about gold ETFs and it’s really distracting me from political conversation.
Our beloved Tomfoolery has spoken!

Amusing, as usual.

I also know this is your usual satirical comment. I for one still have tons of questions on specific implementation of various aspects of the Permanent Portfolio.

Vinny
Vinny my interweb friend, you seem to be a very very precise person. Thus my question, exactly how many questions are in a ton, or tonne if you are feeling particularly British at this particular moment ? 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:33 am
SomeDude wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 am

since I've got you now, what is the best gold coin to buy in 2020 and you need to provide Judge-approved evidence
Everybody knows the Buffalo is the best coin, from the image superiority to the purity of 99.999% which makes it harder to forge. American gold eagles have their, what, 93% purity? Is that even enough gold to be considered gold?

No offense, but anyone who prefers eagles over buffalos is being brainwashed by the main stream gold dealers. Anyone who really thinks about it independently and critically can see Buffalos are far superior.

But anytime I post a pro-Buffalo article on Twitter, it gets taken down. What kind of stake does social media have in the Eagles game? Anyone looking into THAT?
Please provide evidence of the brain washing. Are all the dealers in on it? Who is coordinating them? Have any judges ruled on buffalos vs eagles? Is brain washing even a crime?

You're probably arguing this because you're part native american, and can't break out of your paradigm.

Furthermore, your clearly offense comments towards me are misplaced because I prefer the Britannia. Damn it's a beautiful coin.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:57 pm

vincent_c wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm
tomfoolery wrote:
I agree the forum is being split in two directions and I vote we get rid of the finance and investing talk and focus on the politics. Politics is interesting and dynamically changing while the PP has been the same for 20+ years.

How hard is the permanent portfolio, really? The whole point is that it’s simple and brainless once you have it set up. Do we really need to keep discussing the best gold coin of 2020 to buy?

I come here for the politics and get sucked into reading about gold ETFs and it’s really distracting me from political conversation.
I know I'm new but I wanted to respond by saying that this is the reason why I joined today. The PP is deceptively simple but the fact that this forum is so small and that it's so difficult to convince people to invest in the PP suggests that it's not that simple. I think most of the regulars here understand that there is the HBPP 4x25 and then there are the PP assets. The great thing about the PP is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, both the most simply elegant and the most intellectually complex portfolio out there in my opinion.
I think everyone is familiar with cash and stocks, but gold ownership in the United states as an investment is extremely rare. I would bet that very few individuals own 30-year treasury bonds also unless it's part of a balanced fund they own. They probably don't even know what it is.

So some of the investments are pretty exotic by current standards, making it a hard sell.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:57 pm

vincent_c wrote:
tomfoolery wrote:

I know I'm new but I wanted to respond by saying that this is the reason why I joined today. The PP is deceptively simple but the fact that this forum is so small and that it's so difficult to convince people to invest in the PP suggests that it's not that simple. I think most of the regulars here understand that there is the HBPP 4x25 and then there are the PP assets. The great thing about the PP is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, both the most simply elegant and the most intellectually complex portfolio out there in my opinion.
Welcome to the (pick your preference) forum. Just please don’t further split us into 3 factions or we might have to bring the guillotine into the fray. Or perhaps if you do, you could change your name to Spaceman. Then we would have a bonafide TDS to create a happinin’ place(Tech, doodle, Spaceman).
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Regarding gold Eagles vs. Buffalos, this is all I have to say: Proof or GTFO.

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:10 pm

lmao
good one...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:01 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Please provide evidence of the brain washing. Are all the dealers in on it? Who is coordinating them? Have any judges ruled on buffalos vs eagles? Is brain washing even a crime?

You're probably arguing this because you're part native american, and can't break out of your paradigm.

Furthermore, your clearly offense comments towards me are misplaced because I prefer the Britannia. Damn it's a beautiful coin.
It's obvious Eric Sprott is behind this pro-Eagle propaganda. And judges have not ruled in favor of eagles, they simply said they are refusing to make a ruling one way or another. That's not the same as support for eagles.

Britannias? OH SURE, the literal epitome of cis white matriarchy.

With not one but TWO heteronormative white women?

That's your definition of beauty? Two cis gendered white women symbolizing a country with a history of pillaging and enslaving brown skinned people.
You checkmated me, but I'll never admit it because this is the internet damn it! It doesn't matter if my wife leaves me, if I lose my job, if my dog runs away......I must win the internet!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm
I don't understand. The whole point of the politics subforum was to keep politics separate from the rest of the site's content. As far as I can see it's been very successful so far. If you don't like the political content, then just don't browse this area? ???

I personally just don't see that there's a problem anymore. I almost never venture into this part of the forum and as a result the rest of the site is like an entirely new place to hang out.
I think you're right on, Smith.

pmward, I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem. If you don't like the political discussion, then you can now opt out of seeing notifications from the political subforum. (Except for threads you're subscribed to.) Have you tried that? I've had that enabled since the beginning and it really is refreshing.

So I'm not seeing your problem nor understanding your solution. Splitting into two forums would solve what? You wouldn't like the political forum (since you're complaining about that discussion here). You can already have this forum minus politics by opting out. Having the political forum here gives people who want to discuss it an outlet. I certainly have no interest in policing a forum to make sure no political discussion takes place, but the "self-policing" of mostly confining politics to the political section seems to be a great success.

It looks like you in fact are in the non-political group already. Might I suggest that you unsubscribe from some threads if its existence is still bothering you?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:39 pm

I've been drinking too much lately because I've been depressed over COVID, the election, and Tom Brady apparently not going to take the Bucs to the Super Bowl after all.

So the only solution is to close down the liquor stores.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm

pp4me4 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:39 pm
I've been drinking too much lately because I've been depressed over COVID, the election, and Tom Brady apparently not going to take the Bucs to the Super Bowl after all.

Are you related to Tom? ;)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm
pp4me4 wrote:

New user with 3 posts. Variant of the existing username "pp4me". Interesting.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Think This Forum Should Stick To Investingy

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:55 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
pp4me4 wrote:

No, we’re not related, but when you join the libertarian party, they send you a pamphlet called “Snarkiness and Sarcasm: A Guide to Discussing Personal Responsibility On the Internet”
Sometimes that's all a person has left.

Last edited by pp4me on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 pm

pp4me4 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm
tomfoolery wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
pp4me4 wrote:

No, we’re not related, but when you join the libertarian party, they send you a pamphlet called “Snarkiness and Sarcasm: A Guide to Discussing Personal Responsibility On the Internet”

;D ;D ;D
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:59 pm
pp4me4 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm
tomfoolery wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
pp4me4 wrote:

;D ;D ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va2fxll ... =47&t=994s
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Xan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
I don't understand. The whole point of the politics subforum was to keep politics separate from the rest of the site's content. As far as I can see it's been very successful so far. If you don't like the political content, then just don't browse this area? ???

I personally just don't see that there's a problem anymore. I almost never venture into this part of the forum and as a result the rest of the site is like an entirely new place to hang out.

pmward, I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem. If you don't like the political discussion, then you can now opt out of seeing notifications from the political subforum. (Except for threads you're subscribed to.) Have you tried that? I've had that enabled since the beginning and it really is refreshing.

So I'm not seeing your problem nor understanding your solution. Splitting into two forums would solve what? You wouldn't like the political forum (since you're complaining about that discussion here). You can already have this forum minus politics by opting out. Having the political forum here gives people who want to discuss it an outlet. I certainly have no interest in policing a forum to make sure no political discussion takes place, but the "self-policing" of mostly confining politics to the political section seems to be a great success.

It looks like you in fact are in the non-political group already. Might I suggest that you unsubscribe from some threads if its existence is still bothering you?
Holy frijoles, I leave the house for 4 hours and come back to 7 pages of complete nonsense (except for the Tomfoolery satire, which as always gets a big LOL). +1 on both Smithers' and Xan's comments above. Good lord pmward, there is no politics in the investment threads, so I'm not sure what your gripe is. Just don't read, and more importantly don't post, in the politics section if you don't want to. WTF?
Go look at my poll. There are 9 people that said they have considered leaving this forum because of politics. I've spoken to a few people that have left, and a few people considering leaving lately. This is not just about me. This is a real problem.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm

The people that have the biggest problems with political discussions are usually the ones that proclaim themselves to be the Arbiters of Truth.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:13 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm
The people that have the biggest problems with political discussions are usually the ones that proclaim themselves to be the Arbiters of Truth.
https://publications.morningstarministr ... e-brief-48

Sounds like you could have written this article. The AoT crowd are possibly the Darwin/Freud/Marx dreamers resurrected.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:13 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm
Go look at my poll. There are 9 people that said they have considered leaving this forum because of politics. I've spoken to a few people that have left, and a few people considering leaving lately. This is not just about me. This is a real problem.
You need a new poll, one that specifically says something like "Since the creation of the Politics subforum which can be opted out of".

Smithers for example might answer yes to your current poll, but he's quite satisfied with the solution currently in place.

Can you describe some way in which the current solution is insufficient?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am
tomfoolery wrote:

Our beloved Tomfoolery has spoken!

Amusing, as usual.

I also know this is your usual satirical comment. I for one still have tons of questions on specific implementation of various aspects of the Permanent Portfolio.

Vinny
Vinny my interweb friend, you seem to be a very very precise person. Thus my question, exactly how many questions are in a ton, or tonne if you are feeling particularly British at this particular moment ? 😉
You are correct that I can be an extremely precise person. Sometimes maddingly precise for some who have to deal with me in real life. But to better answer your question...once I get back on my Permanent Portfolio journey you shall see in real time!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:18 pm

vincent_c wrote:
tomfoolery wrote:

Your last sentence reminds me of what I have many times read about The Bible. It can be understood by the simplest minds but still confound the best minds.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:24 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:11 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Xan wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Holy frijoles, I leave the house for 4 hours and come back to 7 pages of complete nonsense (except for the Tomfoolery satire, which as always gets a big LOL). +1 on both Smithers' and Xan's comments above. Good lord pmward, there is no politics in the investment threads, so I'm not sure what your gripe is. Just don't read, and more importantly don't post, in the politics section if you don't want to. WTF?
I have only one question for you, pmward. If you don't like the politics section why the heck are you one of the most prolific posters in that section?
How many times do I have to tell you IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT ME. People I like have left. People I like are threatening leaving. Not just leaving this sub, but leaving the forum altogether. This does not bother you?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 pm

pmward, in regard to the title of this thread:

Thankfully it's not up to you. Political discussions have been an important and valued part of this forum since way before you appeared on the scene. It is your responsibility to put the "politics" subforum on your exclude list if you don't want to participate in those discussions. Or stop posting in them and just don't read the threads.

What you've done here is the equivalent of writing to the New York Times and telling them they must dump their real estate section because you don't like to read it. There is a mature way to handle this. I'll leave you to figure out what it is.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:29 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:24 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:11 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Xan wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

I have only one question for you, pmward. If you don't like the politics section why the heck are you one of the most prolific posters in that section?
How many times do I have to tell you IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT ME. People I like have left. People I like are threatening leaving. Not just leaving this sub, but leaving the forum altogether. This does not bother you?
And yet, you still haven't answered my question in italics above. ::) :o
There are now 10 people in my poll, a poll that is in this section that people can opt out of mind you, that have said yes they have considered leaving this forum because of politics. Why is that? Well, why when there is a car accident on the freeway to people slow down to look as they pass by? It's basically impossible to ignore it, whether or not you get notifications.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm
Well, why when there is a car accident on the freeway to people slow down to look as they pass by? It's basically impossible to ignore it, whether or not you get notifications.
Your suggestion was to split the forum off into a separate gyroscopicpolitics forum on a different domain.

Wouldn't you still be tempted to navigate there, even if it was a separate site? Because, while it may not be a single hyperlink click away, it's only an extra 3 seconds to type that domain into your browser. Wouldn't the mere existence of the politics forum be a constant draw for you to look at, even if on a different site?

Would you be able to better ignore it if it was a separate domain?
I know I couldn't resist.............
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:38 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm
Well, why when there is a car accident on the freeway to people slow down to look as they pass by? It's basically impossible to ignore it, whether or not you get notifications.
Your suggestion was to split the forum off into a separate gyroscopicpolitics forum on a different domain.

Wouldn't you still be tempted to navigate there, even if it was a separate site? Because, while it may not be a single hyperlink click away, it's only an extra 3 seconds to type that domain into your browser. Wouldn't the mere existence of the politics forum be a constant draw for you to look at, even if on a different site?

Would you be able to better ignore it if it was a separate domain?
Nope would not be "tempted to navigate there".