Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:01 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 pm
I will be sleeping early as I need to get up at 4:30am for Black Friday tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone!
O0 You’ve got to be kidding me.
Just arrived at work lol!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Latest developments since hiring my trainer. I'm keeping weekly track via scale and tape measure of various parts of the body.

I ended up ditching the digital scale and going with the analog one as I found the digital one was wildly inaccurate. Additionally, the tape measurements are, of course, subject to large margins of error. I've been told not to worry about that as long-term trends should still be quite visible.
progress.png
progress.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am

Curious phenomenon. You know how a while back I had no internet at home and we had to get a new provider?

The new router is on one side of the house, and my bedroom is on the other side. When I'm lying in bed with my phone and facing the direction of the router I get a connection. When I roll over and face away it's just enough to make the connection sever.

Le sigh.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am
Curious phenomenon. You know how a while back I had no internet at home and we had to get a new provider?

The new router is on one side of the house, and my bedroom is on the other side. When I'm lying in bed with my phone and facing the direction of the router I get a connection. When I roll over and face away it's just enough to make the connection sever.

Le sigh.
My answer is and will always be: run a wire.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am

Le sigh.
My answer is and will always be: run a wire.
To my phone? lmao. Joking aside, I'm thinking of possible solutions right now.

There's not much slack to play with, but I'm going to try and reposition the router today.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:10 pm

Of course I meant run a wire and have a wifi access point where you actually want one.

But, wiring to your phone directly would definitely give you a much better connection.
https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-con ... ction.html
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:10 pm
But, wiring to your phone directly would definitely give you a much better connection.
https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-con ... ction.html
Dang lol. I have an iPhone, but truth be told I've been thinking about trying an Android phone one of these days.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:20 pm

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Whew!!!!

I almost got LMGTFY'd there. Thank you for not doing that. O0
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm

What kind of weaksauce router do you have? Mine is in my basement, and it reaches up to the second floor, and out into my yard too.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm
What kind of weaksauce router do you have? Mine is in my basement, and it reaches up to the second floor, and out into my yard too.
It's totally weaksauce. The old router from the previous ISP was sooo much better. It was strong enough that I got a signal when I was sitting in my car outside. This one? Blegh.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:51 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm

If you call the new ISP and complain, they will likely give you a better quality router at no charge (hint: threaten to dump them if they don't).
I didn't think of that. Might be worth a shot!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Speaking of weaksauce, relying on your ISP's equipment? Where I come from, men buy their own wifi access points, and they aren't confused with routers.

I always try to use as little of the ISP's equipment as possible. I don't trust it, I don't want it, I want maximum flexibility for changing ISPs without changing anything else.

I found a way to not only not use my ISP's wifi but also to not use their router. The whole thing is sitting here unused. They don't have a process for returning it, nor for getting a discount for not using it, sadly.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 pm
Speaking of weaksauce, relying on your ISP's equipment? Where I come from, men buy their own wifi access points, and they aren't confused with routers.

I always try to use as little of the ISP's equipment as possible. I don't trust it, I don't want it, I want maximum flexibility for changing ISPs without changing anything else.

I found a way to not only not use my ISP's wifi but also to not use their router. The whole thing is sitting here unused. They don't have a process for returning it, nor for getting a discount for not using it, sadly.
Our setup is a little unorthodox. Our modem has the router built-in, and the ISP wouldn't give me access to the admin panel either. It's basically a black box.

I remember way back in like 2006 I plugged a router into another router and it seemed to just work. Might be worth consideration.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 pm

I wouldn't touch router-in-router. You can definitely connect your own wifi access point, though, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 pm

I can picture how that conversation went.

Smithers' Roommate: I dunno man, the router isn't reaching. What would you do if you had to make it reach?

Smithers: I'd tell you what I'd do, man. Two routers at the same time, man.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 pm
I can picture how that conversation went.

Smithers' Roommate: I dunno man, the router isn't reaching. What would you do if you had to make it reach?

Smithers: I'd tell you what I'd do, man. Two routers at the same time, man.
🤣
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 pm

I gotta watch that movie again lol.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:07 pm
Smithers, I'm particularly interested on your take of this article being that you are both Asian and a BC resident. Coincidentally, my daughter in law (born in a poor part of SF, of 100% Chinese decent) and I were just discussing how the magnet high school she attended in SF which previously took students based on academic qualifications is going to a straight lottery system. How will it even be a 'magnet' school anymore?

UBC students warned about Asians' 'yellow privilege'
Hmmm. My view is that the whole "woke" culture we're seeing and the onslaught of political correctness is basically a social ouroboros.

The article mentions East Asians having "very real advantages" such as protections under law. Minority groups generally are afforded protections here in Canada. Protecting the oppressed and reaching truth and reconciliation is a value our country holds. Now, all of those protections can be turned around and seen as privileges that these groups should, apparently, recognize and admit to.

Are we truly "model minorities" here who oppress other, less fortunate minorities? I think Jordan Peterson had it right when he said that the victim vs. victimizer narrative is incoherent because it's arbitrary and ever changing. The size of the unit of analysis matters, and a change in the unit of analysis allows anyone to be portrayed as victim or victimizer. Often simultaneously. There's pretty much no group that can't be seen as both victim or oppressor given the right perspective of analysis.

This reminds me of a humorous story that took place in the news a while back. A Chinese language professor was fired because in his lesson he was teaching a word that sounded like the n-bomb to English speaking people. The administration said that this kind of conduct was unacceptable and not inclusive. What? That's the way the word in the Chinese language just happens to sound. And isn't it more oppressive and racist to try and control an entire culture and their language and tell them what they can or cannot say? The fact that a perfectly innocent word in Chinese sounds like a slur in English... gee maybe consider it's the language that HAS that slur to begin with that's at fault.

Anywho, somewhat of a tangent, but my overall position is that political correctness and the oppression narrative is totally incoherent with no foundation. It's just a ratcheting down to who can be the most offended at the smallest possible thing. I'm Canadian born Chinese, but I grew up in a working class family, not a rich one. Do I still have Yellow Privilege like some of the rich Asian kids that go to UBC?

Thanks for the link, by the way. I ought to share this with some peeps.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 pm
A Chinese language professor was fired because in his lesson he was teaching a word that sounded like the n-bomb to English speaking people. The administration said that this kind of conduct was unacceptable and not inclusive. What? That's the way the word in the Chinese language just happens to sound.
The infamous neige. O0 I plead with my wife to say na-ge when we're out and about. Because it means "that", it comes up often.
https://youtu.be/RgVRwfk5yuQ?t=16

Edit: fixed quote attribution
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Sorry about that, Pug. I didn’t even notice I had left you as the author until just now.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:35 pm

I went to www.godaddy.com and tried to register the domain www.godaddy.com.

It didn't work. ^-^
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:12 am

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 6.11.04 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 6.11.04 pm.png (330.3 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:14 am

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:14 am
Good morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/02/busi ... anies.html
awesome!
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence