Texas sues to have the state legislatures appoint the electors

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Texas sues to have the state legislatures appoint the electors

Post by doodle »

SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:10 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm I’m betting the court rules for the defendants in some fashion. In any event the legislatures are Democrat, so Biden wins even if Texas prevails. But if they do force the legislatures to select electors, thus invalidating the elections, that will be at least a moral victory, because it will spotlight the banana republic stuff being done in our elections. I would be happy with that.

I think the worst case is if the court gets into micro management of the mail ballots and such.
The legislatures in question are all Republican, not Democrat.
Does that change your analysis? >:D
Bingo. I still think Biden is an extreme longshot to win the electron since Trump won in a landslide.
Lolz! Have you literally thrown all your critical thinking faculties out the window?
Last edited by doodle on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm
I think the worst case is if the court gets into micro management of the mail ballots and such.
I think one of the smarter aspects of the filing is that Texas did not argue that there was election fraud, but only that the swing states violated their own constitutions.

Also they do not ask the court to decide the election in Trump’s favor, but only to allow the legislatures to pick their electors.

All of that should allow the process to move fairly quickly, since there will be no arguments over fraud or no fraud, etc.
The court will have to clearly ignore the constitution if they try to commit this fraud and back Joe the fraudster. They are between a rock and a hard place.

It's wonderful to see 19 states as the plaintiff.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 pm
Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm
I think one of the smarter aspects of the filing is that Texas did not argue that there was election fraud, but only that the swing states violated their own constitutions.

Also they do not ask the court to decide the election in Trump’s favor, but only to allow the legislatures to pick their electors.

All of that should allow the process to move fairly quickly, since there will be no arguments over fraud or no fraud, etc.
The court will have to clearly ignore the constitution if they try to commit this fraud and back Joe the fraudster. They are between a rock and a hard place.

It's wonderful to see 19 states as the plaintiff.
I doubt they even hear the case. You are delusional.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

The four swing states have to respond by 3 PM Eastern time tomorrow. I expect the court will make a decision as to whether or not to hear the case soon after that.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

A question.

Didn’t more than these four states violate their rules with changes to voting because of COVID?

It’s disappointing to see that some are so far gone that there’s no going back. Biden did not, and has not and will not ever have legally won. Your choice to live with that and the negativity it will bring to your lives.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:35 pm The four swing states have to respond by 3 PM Eastern time tomorrow. I expect the court will make a decision as to whether or not to hear the case soon after that.
Yes, I think that is right.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Love it or leave it as they always say to whiny libs!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Edit: responding to Cortopassi

True.

I’m not a lawyer, but I believe that a lot of it has to do with where the plaintiff can show standing or not. And whether or not they can demonstrate damages.

I assume the people who filed the petition are well-versed in the minutia.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm I’m betting the court rules for the defendants in some fashion. In any event the legislatures are Democrat, so Biden wins even if Texas prevails. But if they do force the legislatures to select electors, thus invalidating the elections, that will be at least a moral victory, because it will spotlight the banana republic stuff being done in our elections. I would be happy with that.

Then I heard wrong on the radio today. Okay thanks for the correction.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 pm
SomeDude wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:17 pm Youtube banning election fraud content is a sign they know they're losing badly and are panicked. It's out of desperation. They've never made a single attempt to refute any evidence.

Get your popcorn boys and girls and head over to parlor and bitchute for some good old fashioned free speech.
It's "parler", but otherwise a good comment.
Thanks for the correction. I need to use the French pronunciation to remember the spelling....
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 pm

You probably heard right and the radio was lying. The enemy media outlets are going full blown Tokyo Rose and Axis Sally right now. They are all in on the fraud, staking everything on getting Trump out. No turning back for them.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

In case anyone was of a different impression, the states elect the president and the vice president. Not the voters.

Also, the president is elected to the executive branch and the vice president is elected to the legislative branch (head of the Senate).

This, of course, is vastly different than what most people believe. The education system is an abysmal failure.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 am The education system is an abysmal failure.
Anything dems are involved with is a failure
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 am
This, of course, is vastly different than what most people believe. The education system is an abysmal failure.
The recent election cycle has re-ignited the discussion on the importance of structured civics classes at the high school level and elementary school level. Civics and government instruction was quite robust in the US through the 1960s and then it degraded into current events and inclusion in history under the heading Social Studies. And now with STEM focused curriculum, Civics has basically disappeared. If you ask me, for the most part, what would otherwise be Civics is now replaced by personal opinion and misinformation. Even many comments on this discussion board would indicate so.

Not to imply there is anything wrong with personal opinion, but I just think a foundation of Civics understanding would encourage more informed opinions. Society-wide this is a big issue in the US. I'm talking about the basic structure of government, the role of the citizen, public as a whole, legal system, the concepts behind taxation, etc.

Some nutrition education at the school level might do a lot for preventative health too.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

It is not a cult at all....

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

SomeDude wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:35 am
Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 am The education system is an abysmal failure.
Anything dems are involved with is a failure
...so far it's been Trump that has failed over and over and over again. So much losing...
Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 am In case anyone was of a different impression, the states elect the president and the vice president. Not the voters.
Why do we even vote then, Mark? Is it just a charade? Are you implying that votes are meaningless?

Me thinks you are purposefully omitting some important facts and realities and oversimplifying when you make a statement like this.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm]

You have to ask yourself, is not claiming fraud a strategy or is it because there is no evidence of fraud?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 pm

Did you hear wrong, or was the wrong info presented? If so the MSM is not only trying to suppress this information, what they are reporting is falsified. Great. I've been looking at the EpochTimes, and they strike me as a promising alternative news source. They don't have the rant-y vibe that you get with most right-wing media outlets. A friend of mine has been urging me to sign up with them - it's free but they want your email address. Obviously for money-making and spam purposes, which is a bit of a turn-off. Organizations like this are why I keep a throwaway Yahoo account.

So 3pm tomorrow is when we find out whether this suit advances to the Supreme Court? I'll be waiting with bated breath!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

The Epoch Times is a really interesting publication. Did you know it's published by Falun Gong? Here's a look at it from Terry Mattingly, which itself links to a NYT story about it:
https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion ... a-universe
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

pmward wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:27 am
Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm]

You have to ask yourself, is not claiming fraud a strategy or is it because there is no evidence of fraud?
It's because under Rule 11, there is a burden imposed on the filing attorney to have performed a sufficient investigation and analysis to form a reasonable basis for the allegation in the pleading. Since Fraud is a defined term, there are very specific parameters for what constitutes Fraud, and if the attorney cannot demonstrate that those parameters have been reasonably met, he or she faces sanctions. The idea is to prevent baseless lawsuits from clogging the court system and so the licensed attorney has a duty under Rule 11 to perform the threshold screening.

If the attorney in this lawsuit could find a basis for Fraud, believe me, they would claim it. Calling them smart for not doing so is like calling a gunfighter smart or prudent for not shooting and pulling out a box cutter instead, when in reality, the only reason he didn't shoot is because there were no bullets in his gun.
Last edited by glennds on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Thanks for the link, Xan! No I didn't know about the Falun Gong link. I'm quite sympathetic to that group....they are a bit cult-like but it's not unlike many small US churches that operate freely and openly here, and they have been most vocal about China's human rights abuses. We could certainly use their influence here in the US, as we appear to be going down the same path.

And, the article explains why they want email addresses. It would be great if they displaced Breitbart as the flagship conservative paper, along with the NY Post. Breitbart is more of a hindrance than help, frankly.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

sophie wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 am Thanks for the link, Xan! No I didn't know about the Falun Gong link. I'm quite sympathetic to that group....they are a bit cult-like but it's not unlike many small US churches that operate freely and openly here, and they have been most vocal about China's human rights abuses. We could certainly use their influence here in the US, as we appear to be going down the same path.

And, the article explains why they want email addresses. It would be great if they displaced Breitbart as the flagship conservative paper, along with the NY Post. Breitbart is more of a hindrance than help, frankly.
I agree that Breitbart isn't very useful anymore.

I am now going to the following sources for actual news and analysis instead of communist propaganda:

The Gateway Pundit (https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/)
The Epoch Times (https://www.theepochtimes.com/)
Just The News (https://justthenews.com/)
Bongino Report (https://bonginoreport.com/)
American Thinker (https://www.americanthinker.com/)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am
glennds wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:26 am
Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:46 am
The recent election cycle has re-ignited the discussion on the importance of structured civics classes at the high school level and elementary school level. Civics and government instruction was quite robust in the US through the 1960s and then it degraded into current events and inclusion in history under the heading Social Studies. And now with STEM focused curriculum, Civics has basically disappeared. If you ask me, for the most part, what would otherwise be Civics is now replaced by personal opinion and misinformation. Even many comments on this discussion board would indicate so.

Not to imply there is anything wrong with personal opinion, but I just think a foundation of Civics understanding would encourage more informed opinions. Society-wide this is a big issue in the US. I'm talking about the basic structure of government, the role of the citizen, public as a whole, legal system, the concepts behind taxation, etc.

Some nutrition education at the school level might do a lot for preventative health too.
They should not be teaching opinion of any kind in public schools. There's nothing wrong with personal opinion, as you note, it just doesn't have any place in publicly funded institutions: school, government, etc. Who's to say which opinions are correct?

Maybe if they wasted less time on the PC nonsense, they'd have more time for an actual curriculum?

Otherwise, good post and +1
I don't think there's any way to excise opinion, culture, and values from many things. For the DMV, for example, maybe so. Very limited scope and function. For schools? I don't think there's such a thing as value-neutral.

I'm 100% behind the idea of teaching more civics. But the idea of teaching more civics is itself an opinion, is it not? A value?

The way to have value-neutral public schools is to not have public schools. And I'm more and more convinced that this is a better way. Fund education by attaching money to each child, to go to whatever school the parents select. Sell the school buildings to private entities. Let them compete. Let's see what happens.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Do any of you geezers currently have kids in public school, or are just back in your rocking chairs spouting the tired "I remember when it was better in the old days" BS? :P

One kid in high school, one graduated two years ago. Both have/are taking AP World History, AP US History, AP US Government. My youngest is in a mock trial club. They watch and read the news (yeah, ok, not right wing stuff!)

40+ hours AP credits each. 34 and 35 ACT scores. Above A GPAs. Notre Dame. Who knows with the younger.

All preceded by 12 years of public education in, gasp, Illinois.

Do I believe educational opportunities are bad in certain areas, say parts of Chicago? Sure.

But there seem to be blanket assertions here that the whole system sucks. It does not.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:55 am
sophie wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 am Thanks for the link, Xan! No I didn't know about the Falun Gong link. I'm quite sympathetic to that group....they are a bit cult-like but it's not unlike many small US churches that operate freely and openly here, and they have been most vocal about China's human rights abuses. We could certainly use their influence here in the US, as we appear to be going down the same path.

I agree that Breitbart isn't very useful anymore.

I am now going to the following sources for actual news and analysis instead of communist propaganda:

The Gateway Pundit (https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/)
The Epoch Times (https://www.theepochtimes.com/)
Just The News (https://justthenews.com/)
Bongino Report (https://bonginoreport.com/)
American Thinker (https://www.americanthinker.com/)
I put American Thinker into the "more hindrance than help" category. I thought the articles were good at first, but they are brimming with obvious factual errors and misinterpretations that look intentional. I quit them and have been reading American Conservative instead.

I hope one or two sources emerge as dominant, become widely read, and start offering serious competition to CNN, NYT, WaPo etc. We badly need reasonable-sounding conservative voices to counter the endless drumbeat from the far-left media.