Forum Members with COVID-19

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum Members with COVID-19

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Well, this isn’t the worst bug I’ve ever had, but it’s tenacious. I’m on day 6 and still feel low-key crappy. Getting a little bit better each day, but it’s a noticeably slower recovery than most seasonal bugs I get.

And the loss of taste and smell is apparently a real thing. With colds and flus, I usually lose my taste and smell only when I get extremely congested, but not this time. I’m barely congested at all, but I’ve had total loss of taste and smell since day 2. Weird.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm
And the loss of taste and smell is apparently a real thing. With colds and flus, I usually lose my taste and smell only when I get extremely congested, but not this time. I’m barely congested at all, but I’ve had total loss of taste and smell since day 2. Weird.
You have my sympathy. Do take care.
And, i mean this in a sincere way, not flippantly: if I lose my taste and smell, I’m going to eat raw garlic just to see if it burns.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm
And, i mean this in a sincere way, not flippantly: if I lose my taste and smell, I’m going to eat raw garlic just to see if it burns.
Tried it just now. Zero flavor or smell, but it still burns.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm
Tried it just now. Zero flavor or smell, but it still burns.
Interesting. I guess I don’t need to try that. Maybe I’ll eat a jalapen~o pepper.
(Waits...)
Your move, Tortoise.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:28 pm

Interesting test, Tortoise.

From what I've heard, it can take a few months for smell/taste to return, but it eventually will. Sorry you're experiencing that! Is it making it hard to eat?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:54 pm
Interesting. I guess I don’t need to try that. Maybe I’ll eat a jalapen~o pepper.
(Waits...)
Your move, Tortoise.
I had some jalapeño potato chips the other day. Does that count? :P

Still just as spicy as before. Just zero flavor.
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:28 pm
Interesting test, Tortoise.

From what I've heard, it can take a few months for smell/taste to return, but it eventually will. Sorry you're experiencing that! Is it making it hard to eat?
A few months? Damn, I hope not.

Eating isn’t hard right now; it still satisfies my hunger. It’s just boring since I can only taste sensations like sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and savory — but no flavors.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:55 am

Tortoise, sorry you got the virus. Hope you fully recover soon, including the taste/smell part. Based on your test, at least the vampires and werewolves might leave you alone. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:04 am

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:54 pm
(Waits...)
Your move, Tortoise.
I had some jalapeño potato chips the other day. Does that count? :P

Still just as spicy as before. Just zero flavor.
It does count! Are you eating anything nutritious that you typically don’t like the taste of?
Are you mixing things with acceptable texture differences/similarities that would never go together by taste? e.g. green beans on cereal?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 am

If you can't taste or smell anything, this is a PRIME OPPORTUNITY to shred up just eating really healthy food that you'd usually gag on. Bring on the unflavored chicken breast and spinach!
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:09 pm

That’s awful. Sorry to hear.

I once heard about a guy who lost his sense of smell and taste through injury. He said Tabasco sauce was really a life saver. It really maximized whatever was left of his senses when eating and made it more enjoyable.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:09 pm
That’s awful. Sorry to hear.

I once heard about a guy who lost his sense of smell and taste through injury. He said Tabasco sauce was really a life saver. It really maximized whatever was left of his senses when eating and made it more enjoyable.
i have a family member who lost their sense of taste and smell due to advanced age (i think).. and they do the same, pocket size bottles of Tabasco and hot-sauce became great Christmas stocking stuffers..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:06 pm

I may not be here (or anywhere) if somewhere along the line my father had not lost his sense of smell.

Though he was in the army during World War II he was kept in the United States because (according to my mother) if gas had been used during battles he'd not have been able to smell it.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:17 pm

My son lost his sense of taste and smell about three years ago when a car hit his bicycle and knocked him unconscious. He has since lost so much weight he looks like he just came out of a concentration camp.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm

100% COVID negative despite being in a room for hours with someone who's currently getting broken off by it. My body is a fucking machine. Or I have antibodies from a year ago. One of those two.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:04 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm
100% COVID negative despite being in a room for hours with someone who's currently getting broken off by it. My body is a fucking machine. Or I have antibodies from a year ago. One of those two.
Keep that gas mask on securely!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:06 pm

I saw today an article that said research is now showing that people who have had pretty bad cases of covid have been having bad react pions to the vaccine as already existing antibodies battle the vaccine ...they also said they may require only one shot
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:50 pm

I require zero vaccination shots. Much less the gene therapy one. My gene sequence is IDDQD.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:50 pm
I require zero vaccination shots. Much less the gene therapy one. My gene sequence is IDDQD.
You win the forum today.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Finally resumed lifting weights last night, nine days after my first symptoms appeared. Based on how long the weakness and lightheadedness lingered over the past week, I thought I'd have to reduce the weight quite a bit, but surprisingly all of my strength had returned. I'm back to 100% now.

Still have absolutely zero smell or taste. I'll update this thread when it finally returns (or at least starts to return). Could be days, weeks, or even months from now.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:04 pm
Finally resumed lifting weights last night, nine days after my first symptoms appeared. Based on how long the weakness and lightheadedness lingered over the past week, I thought I'd have to reduce the weight quite a bit, but surprisingly all of my strength had returned. I'm back to 100% now.

Still have absolutely zero smell or taste. I'll update this thread when it finally returns (or at least starts to return). Could be days, weeks, or even months from now.
You can continue to chomp on the garlic for the duration! Vampires beware! 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 pm

On the flip side of that, though, wash your armpits and chew some fennel seeds with honey for everyone else's sake. O0
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Good point. I also have to be careful not to accidentally eat or drink something that’s gone bad. Luckily the appearance usually gives it away, but not always.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Good point. I also have to be careful not to accidentally eat or drink something that’s gone bad. Luckily the appearance usually gives it away, but not always.
Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too. And whether an egg in a bowl of water floats or sinks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Oh yeah! Pay attention to dates, too.
First time I got food poisoning: dried peaches ;D
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Glad to hear that Tortoise!

Definitely let us know about the smell/taste progress. And, I never thought of the spoiled food issue! Probably best to write expiration dates on leftovers and perishable foods for the duration, unless there's someone in the house with a good sniffer who can pre-test for you.