Ammo price increase disparity

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ammo price increase disparity

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm

I just casually browsed ammo prices, and I noticed something about the price increases since late 2019.

290% - .40 S&W
280% - 9mm
277% - 5.56
262% - .22

161% - 7.62

What's up with 7.62? Is there something more to the story? I remember reading articles from survivalists a decade or so back where they were saying to forget about the AK platform in the US, since they weren't as popular as the AR, and you wouldn't be able to find ammo for them during the apocalypse.

;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ammo price increase disparity

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:25 pm

If you equip the bandanna in new game plus mode you’ll have unlimited ammo for all of your weapons. No need to scavenge or buy.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Well done, well done S1776. That was funny.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am

On the other hand... I'm glad I didn't buy into 7.62, since my investments had a much higher return than 7.62 did. I'm a magazine half full kind of guy.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am
On the other hand... I'm glad I didn't buy into 7.62, since my investments had a much higher return than 7.62 did. I'm a magazine half full kind of guy.
Kinda like me when I go golfing. I usually shoot around 5 over and I get way more value per stroke than most other golfers.

Translated: Lose 5 balls, more strokes per round = less $$ per stroke per round.

Half full, it's the only way to go through life. :-)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm

That's the way I play it too. I get a LOT more practice per round than anyone I play with. And when I win a hole... that's an opportunity for all that pent up shit-talking to come out. Can't keep me down.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:52 pm
Kbg wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am
Kinda like me when I go golfing. I usually shoot around 5 over and I get way more value per stroke than most other golfers.

Translated: Lose 5 balls, more strokes per round = less $$ per stroke per round.

Half full, it's the only way to go through life. :-)
Duh, it's a given that taking more stokes is a better value for your greens fee. I keep score in my head rather than on the card: If I leave with more balls than I came with, it was a good round. Strokes are irrelevant.
LOL, 100% agree. I just thought of something. Instead of betting on the lowest number of strokes for a round, the bet should be on most number of balls found.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:09 pm

I know this is about ammo, but I have never seen the attraction of golf. Pay a lot of money to lug a bag around and get frustrated.

Maybe it was my introduction to it with my Dad -- get me up at 5AM as a teenager to go play 18 holes.

Even years later when he was a starter and could play for free and get a cart, I had more fun driving the cart.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:00 pm

I've never played golf in my life; only miniature golf. Am I still allowed to call myself a man?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:33 pm

I played when I was 17 and 18 years old with friends.

I was terrible.

I'd shoot 70's on nine holes. I counted every stroke unlike some of the people I played with.

For decades I've been saying that I'd take up golf again once I stopped playing softball and basketball, never imagining I'd still be playing both at this age.

But last summer I realize that due to having no places to play basketball or softball I actually was not playing softball and basketball.

I bought a golf net and tees and balls from Amazon. I already had two sets of clubs I'd bought for cheap decades ago.

I was STILL terrible!

When I first starting practicing I'd miss the entire ball and I'd be only driving grass and dirt into that golf net. I did get somewhat better as I kept doing it but I was still terrible.

I had been encouraged to try it out because on the other side of the golf net is a softball net. When I'm hitting softballs off my batting tee into that net I am making excellent contact. Therefore thought it would translate some into hitting golf balls. Not to be!

We'll see if I get motivated to try again this spring...which could be as early as next month if we have some kind of warming spell and we are past any possible snows.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:33 pm
I played when I was 17 and 18 years old with friends.

I was terrible.
So did we. But we were terrible in a different way.....
Used to aim for the kangaroos on the course instead of the hole ::)

I have reformed now. Honestly.....
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:43 pm

That is the most stereotypically Australian thing I've read all day, and I love it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:00 pm
I've never played golf in my life; only miniature golf. Am I still allowed to call myself a man?
All we can ever do is try to correct the mistakes of our younger years.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm
I remember reading articles from survivalists a decade or so back where they were saying to forget about the AK platform in the US, since they weren't as popular as the AR, and you wouldn't be able to find ammo for them during the apocalypse.

;D
The guy on Tim Pool's podcast just said a version of this 5 seconds ago. It's silly how much Timcast copies my thoughts.