Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Maddy,

I read, very fast, the transcript.

I wasn't clear on how this current event with Covid is different, from say, when a first major rollout happened for small pox, or polio, or what we do yearly with the flu?

I certainly get that there will be variants, but I am not getting why that is causing us more harm than the variants we create yearly with the flu vaccine?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:59 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:36 pm
Dualstow, your "Fauci Fatigue" phrase has really stuck with me
...Did you come up with that? I googled it but there's no mention of it out there.
I did O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:59 pm
WiseOne wrote:
...Did you come up with that? I googled it but there's no mention of it out there.
I did O0
For the record, a search on the words "Fauci Fatigue" on the forum yields quite a few results going back to Feb. 17 in a post authored by yours truly.

I probably heard it from somewhere else.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
WiseOne wrote:
I did O0
For the record, a search on the words "Fauci Fatigue" on the forum yields quite a few results going back to Feb. 17 in a post authored by yours truly.

I owe you a pizza O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm
dualstow wrote:
WiseOne wrote:
I did O0
I owe you a pizza O0
You owe yourself a pizza? Do you get to choose the toppings then? :o
I'll settle for a free lifetime membership on the forum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm

:-) I guess I was fixing that quote as the same time you were quoting, pug.
pp4me - you're settling for too little!
Ok, we've wasted a page.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:33 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
WiseOne wrote:
I did O0

I owe you a pizza O0
I suggest the Fauci Special: Half-baked with lots of baloney.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm

You guys are killing me 😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Maddy,

I read, very fast, the transcript.

I wasn't clear on how this current event with Covid is different, from say, when a first major rollout happened for small pox, or polio, or what we do yearly with the flu?

I certainly get that there will be variants, but I am not getting why that is causing us more harm than the variants we create yearly with the flu vaccine?
I can only make an educated guess. This virologist emphasizes the fact that the problem is not the vaccine, but the fact that it is being utilized in the middle of a pandemic. He points out that the virus is now ubiquitous, the rate of transmission is very high, and that the virus is mutating (as coronaviruses do) very quickly. He concludes that the virus can't and won't be wiped out (as it might largely have been had it been allowed to circulate freely early on in the young, healthy population). So, he concludes, you've set up the worst possible situation, where vaccinated people WILL be reinfected, and because vaccination (unlike innate immunity) doesn't stop infection, the vaccinated people become particularly vulnerable reservoirs of a rapidly changing virus.

In the case of polio or smallpox, the virus never was ubiquitous in the general population, and to my knowledge it did not have a propensity to mutate rapidly. And traditional vaccines have been designed to replicate natural immunity--i.e., they are attenuated versions of the "real thing." I would therefore assume that they confer the same broad-based immunity that exposure to the actual virus would. So there's another potentially important distinction.

Another potential distinction arises from the author's point that the CV-19 vaccines are not all that effective. He draws a parallel to the situation where antibiotics are indiscriminately used on non-sensitive or only partially sensitive bacteria. You end up selecting for the non-sensitive variants.

He also talks briefly early on in the interview about the situs of the immune response, which he seems to imply is different when it comes to mRNA vaccines, and which appears to have something to do with the more specific, less generalized, immune response they generate.

So I see a number of differences between what's happening here and what has happened in the past with vaccines for polio, flu, etc. I just don't know enough to answer your question with any confidence. Maybe WiseOne could chime in on this.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Attended a big family gathering this past weekend where everyone had either been vaccinated for Covid or recovered from the actual virus. Nobody at the gathering had any visible symptoms of sickness, not even a runny nose.

At least a dozen of the people there held our baby and played with her.

Two days after the gathering, our baby was coughing and extremely congested. She already had Covid about two months ago, so presumably this is a common cold.

Apparently presymptomatic/asymptomatic spread must be a thing with rhinoviruses too.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:49 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am
WiseOne wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 am
there is that Danish prospective study that the noted bona fide public health authorities really hate, because it indeed says there is no difference :-).
Interesting.

We endlessly debate lockdowns, the vaccines and masks. For me, masks are the weirdest one.

Lockdowns hurt business, mental health and quality of life vs gatherings like the motorcycle clubs in South Dakota really do lead to mass viral spread and death. -- I get that.

Vaccines may very well save lives vs Some people think vaccines are going to hurt them. -- I get that.

Masks:
For those of you who don't wear them, is it bc you feel the whole idea is stupid and therefore your dislike for participating is stronger than any concern about being harassed? I mean that in a sincere way not a snarky way, bc unless you have a breathing problem there is no physical harm coming from wearing a mask.

My cons:
• glasses fog up
• Can't people watch. I miss people's faces on the street.
• Criminals are harder to surveil and catch. (I wonder if some anti-masker non-criminals like that they are less often surveiled. Less of a police state?)

My pros:
• I sometimes get a runny nose at farmers markets in the cold air and this covers it up. Overall, much of my grooming is now optional. O0
• Homeless guy sneezed on me earlier this year. My mask may not save me but it sure felt better.
Other:
My wife is Asian and an Asian not wearing a mask in the U.S. is asking to be harassed. Am I saying they deserve it? Of course not. I'm saying they leave themselves open to it. Sad situation.

Notice that none of the above has to do with COVID-19. Even I have Fauci fatigue.
I have heard that argument put forth by pro-mask people constantly: It is just not that big of a deal to wear a mask so why are you arguing it.

Putting aside what everyone else has said about masks actually having negative health and psychological effects...even if masks truly had no negative effects, that alone is not reason for me to just go along with it. If we are going to suddenly pass laws that say I need to do or wear such and such everywhere I go and my elementary school child has to do it all day long in school, even outside at recess, and the teachers will jump on him if he doesnt follow those orders for 1 second, then "no physical harm" or "its not that much of an inconvenience" is simply not a good enough justification for me.
There were 77 words I your last sentence J. For God's sake man have mercy on us and add some periods you sadist.

As I've said before, coronavirus will end when the bravest among us refuse to wear masks and summon the courage to laugh and ridicule those that do.

Before coronavirus there was a large segment of the population that would have preferred to wear a mask but were afraid of ridicule. They need to return to that place from whence they came.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Seven hours after shot one of Moderna. No arm soreness, no other effects either so far.

Needle was the smallest ever. If I didn’t see it go in I wouldn’t have known.

I had a 4:30 PM appointment today at the University of Massachusetts for my first shot - Pfizer.

I am an extremely, highly organized person so I will notice and appreciate well-organized anything when I encounter it.

I was quite pleased with the level of organization I encountered going through the various places I had to check in to to eventually get that shot.

I arrived no earlier than 4:35 PM and I received my shot at about 4:50 PM. They held me another 15 minutes to make sure there were no immediate adverse effects.

It's now been over 5 hours from that shot and I don't feel anything negative.

Finally, I don't even know if I felt the needle go in!

Looking forward to that second shot three weeks from today!

Today was the my first day off m property in about a month.

I did notice that at the University, both inside AND outside, people were wearing masks. Also, saw the same on the streets of Amherst, MA.

On my way home I stopped to visit a friend who has two forms of cancer and for which he is undergoing chemotherapy. We had a mutual good time together for about 3 1/2 hours until he got worn down. He wanted both of us to be masked while we were together and I complied.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:49 am

40 hours in, some level of delayed reaction -- I woke up this morning with most of my major joints feeling 20 years older and it wasn't caused by exercise.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:03 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:46 am
SomeDude wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm

As I've said before, coronavirus will end when the bravest among us refuse to wear masks and summon the courage to laugh and ridicule those that do.

Before coronavirus there was a large segment of the population that would have preferred to wear a mask but were afraid of ridicule. They need to return to that place from whence they came.
Maybe you're correct, but I don't see how it plays out. For instance, it's too cold in Chicago to play tennis or pickleball outside from October to mid-May (more than half the year). There is literally one decent place near me to play PB inside, connected to a huge multi use private health club. The club enforces a mask policy because they are worried about having the state/county shut them down, which has been threatened on several occasions. If you don't mask properly, they warn you once and then, if you persist, ask you to leave. How would civil disobedience work in this situation? The club needs to stay open to avoid bankruptcy. Members who don't comply are a threat to their viability.
That's how I'm afraid things are going to play out for the next few years. Businesses are going to keep their own mask mandates until the moment when people get so sick of it they start looking for alternatives that don't require a mask - so that these businesses will realize they will do better to drop the mask requirement. God only knows how long it will take us to get there. Cases consisting of a positive test, regardless of symptoms, will be with us as long as we insist on using that damn test to diagnose "cases".
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:24 am

Our 4 year old tested positive and now my daughter has it ..so we got our fingers crossed she only gets a mild case from the little one ..the little one has no symptoms.

My daughter had a little tickle yesterday in her throat ..that is how I started off with my symptoms and we know how that ended
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:49 am

40 hours in, some level of delayed reaction -- I woke up this morning with most of my major joints feeling 20 years older and it wasn't caused by exercise.

I am now....17 hours in.

Last night I was quite thirsty...drinking a quart of water. It was around 11 PM at night and I was worried drinking that much late at night would lead to frequent waking up to needing to get rid of it.

But, instead, I fairly much slept straight through from about 1:15 AM until about 8:45 AM.

This morning I feel an extremely light something where I got my shot. I'm about to start my three times a week exercise program. Will see if anything is affected while I do that.

I chose my left arm to get the shot. But in barbell exercises one is using both arms. Same for push-ups.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:24 am
Our 4 year old tested positive and now my daughter has it ..so we got our fingers crossed she only gets a mild case from the little one ..the little one has no symptoms.

My daughter had a little tickle yesterday in her throat ..that is how I started off with my symptoms and we know how that ended

Sorry to hear that. I shall pray all goes well re. your kid's symptoms and for peace for you as you wait for an outcome. I expect this is all weighing quite heavily on your mind. Hang in there internet friend.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks .

First my wife and I battled it ..now the kids ...we have not seen each other in almost a year
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:33 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:03 am
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:46 am
SomeDude wrote:

Maybe you're correct, but I don't see how it plays out. For instance, it's too cold in Chicago to play tennis or pickleball outside from October to mid-May (more than half the year). There is literally one decent place near me to play PB inside, connected to a huge multi use private health club. The club enforces a mask policy because they are worried about having the state/county shut them down, which has been threatened on several occasions. If you don't mask properly, they warn you once and then, if you persist, ask you to leave. How would civil disobedience work in this situation? The club needs to stay open to avoid bankruptcy. Members who don't comply are a threat to their viability.
That's how I'm afraid things are going to play out for the next few years. Businesses are going to keep their own mask mandates until the moment when people get so sick of it they start looking for alternatives that don't require a mask - so that these businesses will realize they will do better to drop the mask requirement. God only knows how long it will take us to get there. Cases consisting of a positive test, regardless of symptoms, will be with us as long as we insist on using that damn test to diagnose "cases".
All of that assumes that there is a large contingency of people out there who are sick of masks. I am not sure that is the case. It sure seems to me that the pro-mask people outnumber or at least out-virtue signal the others. However, last night on the news I did see swarms of college kids partying in Florida and Texas butt to butt with no masks. That makes me wonder if there might be more people than I think out there who want masks to go away but just won't say it in mixed company. I feel like right now since the pro-mask crowd is louder and has "safety" on their side that it is easy for businesses to side with them. I don't know how that can change. Every business here has kept the requirements. I can't just "take my business elsewhere" because there is no elsewhere.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 am

SomeDude wrote:

Funny story relating to this. My brother and his girlfriend, who are moving to FL to escape CA politics, were on a return flight from FL back to CA recently and struck up a conversation with a marine sitting in front of them.

Every time my brother tried talking to him while wearing his mask, the marine would interrupt and say, "Don't talk to me with that piece of shit on your face!"
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/health/c ... index.html

So will my son's school follow this since the CDC said it and not the Republican Governor?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 am
SomeDude wrote:

Funny story relating to this. My brother and his girlfriend, who are moving to FL to escape CA politics, were on a return flight from FL back to CA recently and struck up a conversation with a marine sitting in front of them.

Every time my brother tried talking to him while wearing his mask, the marine would interrupt and say, "Don't talk to me with that piece of shit on your face!"
That's some bravery alright.
On the other hand, maybe the Marine was just an asshole, and proudly exercising his right to be one.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 pm
I was quite pleased with the level of organization I encountered going through the various places I had to check in to to eventually get that shot.
That was also my experience at the county vaccination site. I scheduled online and printed out a paper with a barcode beforehand and when I got there they scanned it and directed me to a table where they already had my vaccination card ready. Went immediately to the jab room where I didn't have to wait at all and then on to the required 15 minute waiting room. If it hadn't been for the latter I probably would have been in and out in less than 10 minutes.

The only reason I would not give it 5 stars for efficiency was due to the parking situation which can mostly be blamed on the fact that the shots were for over 65 only. There were so many old folks with big cars taking forever to get them in and out of small parking spaces that traffic was backed up on the street. And also a couple parked beside me locked their keys in the car and I had to wait while the policemen helped them open it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 pm

That was also my experience at the county vaccination site. I scheduled online and printed out a paper with a barcode beforehand and when I got there they scanned it and directed me to a table where they already had my vaccination card ready. Went immediately to the jab room where I didn't have to wait at all and then on to the required 15 minute waiting room. If it hadn't been for the latter I probably would have been in and out in less than 10 minutes.

The only reason I would not give it 5 stars for efficiency was due to the parking situation which can mostly be blamed on the fact that the shots were for over 65 only. There were so many old folks with big cars taking forever to get them in and out of small parking spaces that traffic was backed up on the street. And also a couple parked beside me locked their keys in the car and I had to wait while the policemen helped them open it.

In my case...the shots took place at the University's Campus Center which has a parking garage attached to it. There was plenty of free parking available.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:49 am

I am now....17 hours in.

Last night I was quite thirsty...drinking a quart of water. It was around 11 PM at night and I was worried drinking that much late at night would lead to frequent waking up to needing to get rid of it.

But, instead, I fairly much slept straight through from about 1:15 AM until about 8:45 AM.

This morning I feel an extremely light something where I got my shot. I'm about to start my three times a week exercise program. Will see if anything is affected while I do that.

I chose my left arm to get the shot. But in barbell exercises one is using both arms. Same for push-ups.

Finished all my regular exercises this morning with no issues.

Running back and forth in my living room for 10 minutes to warm up

Barbells - squat, bench press, dead lift, arm curls

Ab exercises

100 push ups

Stretching

Back exercises

No pain in the needle shot of the arm doing any of them.

I was concerned that I'd feel it on the bench press, arm curls, and push ups and that I might have to either do less of them or less weight. But nothing.

And, notably, on the arm curls....on my third and final set (the "work set") I am generally able to do between 4 and 9, usually about 5. Today I was able to do 7, meaning my overall strength today was on the normal to high end.

I'm now officially 23 hours in. No side affects of any type.