Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Best gold deal out there

Post by SomeDude » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm

https://bullionexchanges.com/1-oz-ameri ... andom-year

At 7% over spot, this is the best option i think right now.

You can pay 1-3% less with other (less desirable) coins like the maple leaf, Philharmonic, or Britannia, but that's not enough to overcome the eagle's advantages imo.

There are bars at 4% less but again, eagle is more liquid and will always and forever fetch more when you sell.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Best gold deal out there

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:43 am

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm
https://bullionexchanges.com/1-oz-ameri ... andom-year

At 7% over spot, this is the best option i think right now.

You can pay 1-3% less with other (less desirable) coins like the maple leaf, Philharmonic, or Britannia, but that's not enough to overcome the eagle's advantages imo.

There are bars at 4% less but again, eagle is more liquid and will always and forever fetch more when you sell.
And so far, a dealer who buys Eagles from you has no reporting requirement.
dopplerdave
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by dopplerdave » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm

To my thinking, the spread between buy and sell price from the same dealer at the same time is more important than the premium.
For example the (off shore) dealer I use had as of a few days ago a premium of 13.3% and a spread of 10.7% on US Eagles. At the same time the premium was 5.3% and the spread was 5.4% on Canadian Mapleleafs. Since I never plan to take delivery of these, but someday will sell them back to the same dealer, the Mapleleafs seem a much better investment.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:37 pm

dopplerdave wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm
To my thinking, the spread between buy and sell price from the same dealer at the same time is more important than the premium.
For example the (off shore) dealer I use had as of a few days ago a premium of 13.3% and a spread of 10.7% on US Eagles. At the same time the premium was 5.3% and the spread was 5.4% on Canadian Mapleleafs. Since I never plan to take delivery of these, but someday will sell them back to the same dealer, the Mapleleafs seem a much better investment.
If you never plan to take delivery DD, would an etf like GLD or SGOL be better since the spread is almost nil?

Does your dealer have a storage fee?

Why aren't you taking delivery?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 pm

For those who prefer 4 9's fine, here's Candian maple leafs (leaves?) at 4.7% over spot:

https://boldpreciousmetals.com/product/ ... z-gold-bu/

This is a great price on a fantastic coin. I would say this is as good a deal as the eagle. Free shipping too and i can vouch for this company.

Premiums are coming down.
dopplerdave
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by dopplerdave » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:54 pm

If you never plan to take delivery DD, would an etf like GLD or SGOL be better since the spread is almost nil?

You are right about the ETF except this is money that I want protected from taxes and/or confiscation.
It is in an offshore vault that is insured and far safer than storing it at home or a bank safe deposit box.
The storage fee is 0.5% per year. The spread I mentioned for Eagles (10.7%) kind of dwarfs the storage fee.

I used to hold these in a hidden safe, but transporting them to and from a dealer (or the USPO) made me a nervous wreck.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:18 am

dopplerdave wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:54 pm

You are right about the ETF except this is money that I want protected from taxes and/or confiscation.
It is in an offshore vault that is insured and far safer than storing it at home or a bank safe deposit box.
The storage fee is 0.5% per year. The spread I mentioned for Eagles (10.7%) kind of dwarfs the storage fee.

I used to hold these in a hidden safe, but transporting them to and from a dealer (or the USPO) made me a nervous wreck.
Ahhh i understand. You're confident they won't report your sales to the government? Man the US has its tentacles everywhere.

Is there a physical delivery option? I believe at some things are likely to be so crazy the only gold you'll trust will be what's in your hands. Even if a dealer cashes you out, you won't want the dollars you'll want the gold.

It's a funny difference. Any gold or silver i don't have in my possession makes ME nervous.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am

You may want to consider Bullionvault if holding physical gold rather than an ETF is essential. Nothing but good experience with them and they check all your boxes plus Harry Browne's recommendation to hold some assets outside your home country. Total costs (buying commission plus storage) very competitive with IAU, etc.

https://www.trustablegold.com/bullionvault/
dopplerdave
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by dopplerdave » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:44 pm

Bullion Vault is a good alternative to offshore coin storage. In my case, I already had a stock of coins, and it was cheaper to ship them then to sell them and buy the fractional ownership bars. Plus I like the idea of being able to visit my gold in person and take delivery of it if I want.

But to get back to my point about premiums versus spreads, consider the following chart from last February when I wanted to buy some coins.
Spreads.png
Spreads.png (15.26 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
The spread is the difference between buy premium and the sell premium (which can be positive or negative). This is what you would lose if you bought a coin, then sold it again before the price changed. The best deal was the Cayman Marlin because it had the lowest spread, and that is what I ended up buying.

This assumes all other things are equal between these coins. It seems to me that is the case, but maybe I am missing something that makes paying a higher premium and/or spread for say an Eagle or Buffalo worthwhile.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 am

dopplerdave wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:44 pm
Bullion Vault is a good alternative to offshore coin storage. In my case, I already had a stock of coins, and it was cheaper to ship them then to sell them and buy the fractional ownership bars. Plus I like the idea of being able to visit my gold in person and take delivery of it if I want.

But to get back to my point about premiums versus spreads, consider the following chart from last February when I wanted to buy some coins.

Spreads.png

The spread is the difference between buy premium and the sell premium (which can be positive or negative). This is what you would lose if you bought a coin, then sold it again before the price changed. The best deal was the Cayman Marlin because it had the lowest spread, and that is what I ended up buying.

This assumes all other things are equal between these coins. It seems to me that is the case, but maybe I am missing something that makes paying a higher premium and/or spread for say an Eagle or Buffalo worthwhile.
Premiums coming back down, just 5.5% on eagles. Maples going even lower at 4%.

https://monumentmetals.com/2021-america ... ype-2.html
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am

SomeDude wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 am

On that web site, the listed check/wire price if you buy fewer than 10 gold eagles is 7.7% over spot, and even if you buy 100 or more it’s still 6.6% over spot. Where are you seeing a 5.5% premium?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am
SomeDude wrote:

On that web site, the listed check/wire price if you buy fewer than 10 gold eagles is 7.7% over spot, and even if you buy 100 or more it’s still 6.6% over spot. Where are you seeing a 5.5% premium?
They just updated the price T. Deal is done. This morning they were $1,913 for any qty. I bought one a couple nights ago at $1,909.

This must have been a miss-pricing they just caught.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:51 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 pm
Tortoise wrote:
SomeDude wrote:

They just updated the price T. Deal is done. This morning they were $1,913 for any qty. I bought one a couple nights ago at $1,909.

Maple deal is still on at 4% over. https://monumentmetals.com/random-date- ... maple.html
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:51 pm
SomeDude wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
SomeDude wrote:

Maple deal is still on at 4% over. https://monumentmetals.com/random-date- ... maple.html
Maple deal here is done too
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:34 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
SomeDude wrote:

Deal is back. 5.5% over spot for any qty 2021 gold eagles. Same price on 2021 gold buffalos which are 24kt. Can't beat it.