Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm

barrett wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:44 am
It seems that at least one factor pushing the CCP to open up was the Chinese people seeing World Cup games in Qatar that were filled to capacity with partying fans from all over the world.
Can you imagine?!
My father-in-law is in China. I've given up asking about lockdowns as it's been so back and forth.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:45 am

Indeed, its back and forth here in Europe, too. Its resembling a sine wave, hopefully with lower and lower amplitude... People do not take too much attention of it anymore, guess already tired enough (and the most vulnerable passed away anyway, at least where I live.. BG is still second after Peru in deaths/million, wow what an achievment..). Can hear from my colleagues around EU its actually still around.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:45 am

BG is still second after Peru in deaths/million, wow what an achievment..).
I just looked up Bulgaria’s stats. 5560 per million. :-[
https://ncov2019.live/
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays so far!

I’ve been having sweet Christmas treats pretty much every day.

Will definitely have to do double time on the gym routine come January. Oh no, have I just become a “resolutioner”?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm

Will definitely have to do double time on the gym routine come January. Oh no, have I just become a “resolutioner”?
What’s a typical Christmas treat for Smithers?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:37 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

From several personal experiences I have had with this I have come to the conclusion that weight control is minimally related to physical activity. Exercise is great for the body and mind on several levels. But it's not the main thing for weight control. What is the main thing for weight control is what type of food you eat and the quantity of food you eat. Basically take in more calories than you expend then weight goes up. And, of course, the opposite.

It takes an incredible amount of physical exercise to use up a pound's worth of calories in your body. It's quite easy and quick to eat that pound's worth of calories. Therefore the best way to lose weight and to maintain a low weight is to regulate your food intake.

I know that you are Canadian and I don't know much about Canadian culture but much of socializing in the United States revolves around food.

But the trend of obesity in the United States is sobering.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.25 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

This graph is almost 5 years old now so most likely the rate is even higher today.

Way back in in 2000 I was spending some time with a coworker who was from the country of Columbia (South America).

I asked him what in his view was the typical American.

The first answer completely surprised me while the second one did not.

First answer: "Blonde hair and blue eyes". Not what I experience in observing my fellow Americans.
Second answer: How many obese people there are.

He said that when the rate was about 30%. Four years ago it had risen to 42% with it most likely being higher now.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Agree, weight loss begins in the kitchen

But, more lean body mass doesn’t hurt!

I’m thinking of trying Dan John’s “East Strength for fat loss” — basically:

* Five resistance exercises
* Swings or weighted carry
* Walk
* Intermittent Fasting (less time to put calories in)
* Eat Right
* get enough sleep

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Every year the population gets fatter and older, which means increasing "covid" deaths

But they closed gyms. Hmm.

I should probably buy a standing desk with a treadmill.

After a couple months of training I can painlessly go all day without eating. Not overeating after my nightly six pack is another story
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:48 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Every year the population gets fatter and older, which means increasing "covid" deaths

After a couple months of training I can painlessly go all day without eating. Not overeating after my nightly six pack is another story

I'll again use my own personal information to support that it is really the food that is the weight issue and not the amount of exercise you do or don't do.

I'll been keeping a table of my daily weight for 21 years (since 2002).

On March 11th the NBA suspended its games and a day or two day the country somewhat closed, with a lot of us going home. I myself did not leave my property for the subsequent two months.

That week our twice a week basketball also got suspended (and over 2 1/2 year later we still do not have that gym available to us). So since that time my exercise represented by that basketball playing has been reduced.

My weight?

On March 12, 2022 I weighed 156.8. On December 31, 2020 I weighed 145.4. So less exercise from not playing basketball but along with that went out the meal I'd go out to have each night before playing basketball. So that probably resulted in a net calorie loss by no longer first going out to eat and then playing basketball.

My average weight for 2020 was 149.8 (all on a decided downward trend after I came home in March 2020) with a high that year of 158.2 and a low of 141.2.

2021 the average was 146.1 with a high of 156.6 and a low of 139.9.

So far for 2022 the average is 141.9 with the high being 148.2 and the low being 134.9.

Due to things going on with both my body and my house my three times a week home exercise has been drastically reduced compared to prior years. Yet look at the trend of continuing to lose weight.

These days I really do not eat that much. Certainly, a far less than caloric diet than the the Standard American Diet (SAD).

The above are my reasons for believing that the key to weight loss is your food consumption.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:09 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:37 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

From several personal experiences I have had with this I have come to the conclusion that weight control is minimally related to physical activity. Exercise is great for the body and mind on several levels. But it's not the main thing for weight control. What is the main thing for weight control is what type of food you eat and the quantity of food you eat. Basically take in more calories than you expend then weight goes up. And, of course, the opposite.

It takes an incredible amount of physical exercise to use up a pound's worth of calories in your body. It's quite easy and quick to eat that pound's worth of calories. Therefore the best way to lose weight and to maintain a low weight is to regulate your food intake.

I know that you are Canadian and I don't know much about Canadian culture but much of socializing in the United States revolves around food.

But the trend of obesity in the United States is sobering.

Capture.JPG

This graph is almost 5 years old now so most likely the rate is even higher today.

Way back in in 2000 I was spending some time with a coworker who was from the country of Columbia (South America).

I asked him what in his view was the typical American.

The first answer completely surprised me while the second one did not.

First answer: "Blonde hair and blue eyes". Not what I experience in observing my fellow Americans.
Second answer: How many obese people there are.

He said that when the rate was about 30%. Four years ago it had risen to 42% with it most likely being higher now.
I know that this is totally out of left field, but I think the obesity observation is representative and totally in keeping with Ray Dalio's broader findings about the declining U.S. empire.

He mentioned that as empire's grow dominant they sow the seeds of their own demise as the citizens become more complacent. Values change from generation to generation as the discipline and toughness of the earlier generations is lost.

My first thought was that maybe the obesity problem was caused by changes in the food supply and availability of sugars and carbs. But how, then, does that explain the discrepancy with, say, European countries? Sugary foods and carbs are widely available in pretty much all industrialized countries.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:11 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:48 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 pm

I'll again use my own personal information to support that it is really the food that is the weight issue and not the amount of exercise you do or don't do.

I'll been keeping a table of my daily weight for 21 years (since 2002).

On March 11th the NBA suspended its games and a day or two day the country somewhat closed, with a lot of us going home. I myself did not leave my property for the subsequent two months.

That week our twice a week basketball also got suspended (and over 2 1/2 year later we still do not have that gym available to us). So since that time my exercise represented by that basketball playing has been reduced.

My weight?

On March 12, 2022 I weighed 156.8. On December 31, 2020 I weighed 145.4. So less exercise from not playing basketball but along with that went out the meal I'd go out to have each night before playing basketball. So that probably resulted in a net calorie loss by no longer first going out to eat and then playing basketball.

My average weight for 2020 was 149.8 (all on a decided downward trend after I came home in March 2020) with a high that year of 158.2 and a low of 141.2.

2021 the average was 146.1 with a high of 156.6 and a low of 139.9.

So far for 2022 the average is 141.9 with the high being 148.2 and the low being 134.9.

Due to things going on with both my body and my house my three times a week home exercise has been drastically reduced compared to prior years. Yet look at the trend of continuing to lose weight.

These days I really do not eat that much. Certainly, a far less than caloric diet than the the Standard American Diet (SAD).

The above are my reasons for believing that the key to weight loss is your food consumption.
I've gained 50 pounds since this time last year when I went through that breakup and my father died.

About 1 pound a week for a year like clockwork. :o
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:15 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

What’s a typical Christmas treat for Smithers?

Brownies. Can't friggin' get enough of 'em. The ones at Starbucks are pretty killer. ;D

I guess that explains the weight gain hahaha. What's a christmas indulgence for you?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:05 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:15 pm
What's a christmas indulgence for you?
Mmm, brownies. My mom used to make the chocolate ones. I like the blonde ones that some cafes serve. I had a tahini brownie from a Mediterranean restaurant recently.

A neighbor gives us pistachio biscotti every Christmas. That’s my main indulgence.
The missus spent time with a friend who’s going through a bad time and came home with some amazing (store-bought) cookies from her.

I don’t typically buy junk food. When I was younger, I used to get Hanukkah gelt. Tasty and very pp-friendly. O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:27 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:05 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:15 pm
What's a christmas indulgence for you?
Mmm, brownies. My mom used to make the chocolate ones. I like the blonde ones that some cafes serve. I had a tahini brownie from a Mediterranean restaurant recently.

A neighbor gives us pistachio biscotti every Christmas. That’s my main indulgence.
The missus spent time with a friend who’s going through a bad time and came home with some amazing (store-bought) cookies from her.

I don’t typically buy junk food. When I was younger, I used to get Hanukkah gelt. Tasty and very pp-friendly. O0

I love those chocolate coin things. Incidentally, I had just bought some from the dollar store not too long ago. Of course when I did I thought of our forum haha.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:05 am

I just ate a whole 20 piece McNuggets to myself.

Oh my god... barf.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:05 am

Oh my god... barf.
O0
I think this might become a Christmas tradition as well - for coffee -
https://www.sweetsteep.com/starbucks-pe ... up-recipe/
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:34 pm

At some point in your life it really helps to decide to be a man.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Where in the world is Mark Leavy on Christmas Eve?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Coachella Valley
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:55 pm

You play any pickleball by chance?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:22 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:55 pm
You play any pickleball by chance?
No. That is another notorious forum member. The artist previously known as pugchief.

I just walk up mountains.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:01 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:14 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:05 am

Oh my god... barf.
O0
I think this might become a Christmas tradition as well - for coffee -
https://www.sweetsteep.com/starbucks-pe ... up-recipe/
It's 11pm here and I'm literally drinking coffee right now.

So much stuff I wanna work on. O0
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:06 am

A very Merry Christmas to all. May we all remember the reason for the season.

Blessings, ... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:37 am

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:55 pm
Where in the world is Mark Leavy on Christmas Eve?
That is a board game that i would buy in a heartbeat.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:25 am

He makes good choices. Coachella Valley is very nice this time of year. Especially if you like walking up mountains.