What’s The Best Metals To Buy Into ATM?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dSLindsey

What’s The Best Metals To Buy Into ATM?

Post by dSLindsey »

I know this could age like cheese, but are there any particular precious metals to buy into now? There seems to be a lot of interest in palladium, but I wonder if this is just a weird trend or if some marketing is going on. Does anyone have any advice? I am looking to invest a couple of thousand. Thanks.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What’s The Best Metals To Buy Into ATM?

Post by Xan »

Welcome! (maybe)

Could you give us some background about yourself to convince us you're not a bot? In what country are you at the moment?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Yeah, hoping this isn't a bot, because it's always nice when more (actual) members join in.

Having said that, I personally take the stance that gold is the only precious metal actually worth buying. The real alternative for more diversification in the self-custody space isn't really silver or platinum, but Bitcoin and maybe a stash of some US Dollars.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:27 pm
Yeah, hoping this isn't a bot, because it's always nice when more (actual) members join in.

Having said that, I personally take the stance that gold is the only precious metal actually worth buying. The real alternative for more diversification in the self-custody space isn't really silver or platinum, but Bitcoin and maybe a stash of some US Dollars.

As usual .... I agree with the wisdom of Smith1776!!!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dSLindsey

Post by dSLindsey »

Xan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:20 pm Welcome! (maybe)

Could you give us some background about yourself to convince us you're not a bot? In what country are you at the moment?
Thank you - I am living in NY and want to spend my savings on metals instead of travel
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dSLindsey wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:18 pm
Xan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:20 pm Welcome! (maybe)

Thank you - I am living in NY and want to spend my savings on metals instead of travel

hmm... That's not the country associated with your IP address.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

gold
Attachments
IMG_7375.jpeg
IMG_7375.jpeg (149.83 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 pm
dSLindsey wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:18 pm
Xan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:20 pm
Welcome! (maybe)

hmm... That's not the country associated with your IP address.

Not going to slip by Detective Xan that easily!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Could just be a human using a VPN. The grammar mistake in the title seems pretty human to me although maybe bots have a folksy grammar setting O0
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

dSLindsey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:23 pm... Does anyone have any advice? ...
Yes.

~~~

Your question requires a lot more information to answer properly. What is the state of your current portfolio (do you already own any metals?) What are your investing goals (short term profit/turnaround, long term or pass metals to my kids when I die)? etc.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

pmbug wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:29 am
Yes.

~~~

Your question requires a lot more information to answer properly. What is the state of your current portfolio (do you already own any metals?) What are your investing goals (short term profit/turnaround, long term or pass metals to my kids when I die)? etc.

It's looking more and more like this is a bot.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:26 am
pmbug wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:29 am

Yes.

~~~

It's looking more and more like this is a bot.

Again, what causes you to draw that conclusion? It is not apparent to me.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:53 amAgain, what causes you to draw that conclusion? It is not apparent to me.

The biggest red flag is a first-time poster failing to introduce himself and say something like "I've been lurking here a long time, here's why I'm interested in this forum, here's some background about me, I've been wondering about XYZ".

The text of that first post could fit on just about any forum that's even tangentially related to financial matters.

A first-time post that mentions gold (or any metal) or Bitcoin (or any e-coin) is especially suspect, as this one does.

If that first message had included a link, which presumably would have been to some outfit selling gold or Bitcoin or whatever, then it would have been open-and-shut. As it is, it may be saving that for a later post, or might change its profile to link to something.

The IP address being in the Philippines while the posts claim to be from New York is another red flag. In this VPN world it's not open-and-shut but it is suspicious.

It's also the case that the vast majority of first-time posters are spammers/bots. So they're immediately under suspicion.

The fact that the account came back to post in response does make it look much less like a spammer/bot. But it isn't really participating much in the conversation as I would expect somebody who was looking to join the forum and get a question answered would.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, seems very botty. If only the bots were more interesting. ChatGPT can be hilarious.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

The early retirement exteme forum asks some pretty cryptic questions to join the forum. They asked what the "g" in the gcc podcast stand for. Took a while but I figured it out. Maybe ask what does the second "P" in HBPP stand for. Or what does the B in the GB portfolio stand for?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I think Xan usually asks where they were born or where they come from. I have yet to see an answer. I like the cryptic questions, too. The g in gcc!