Tulving is Bankrupt

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tulving is Bankrupt

Post by FarmerD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 am

Just noticed on a Gold forum that the Tulving Company is now reported to be bankrupt.  Let's hope nobody here had an outstanding order with him.   

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-16/ ... in-dealers
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tulving is Bankrupt

Post by dragoncar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 am

1991?  Are they bankrupt again?
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 am

OOps - I linked to the wrong article.

Yes, they are bankrupt again.
systemskeptic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by systemskeptic » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am

Why would anyone order from a website that looks like it was designed in 1995?
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 pm

systemskeptic wrote: Why would anyone order from a website that looks like it was designed in 1995?
Guess we don't have to worry about that problem anymore.
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:51 am

I suspected something was up when his CompuServe email bounced back as undeliverable. I tried dialing into his BBS but the line was busy.
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 pm

TripleB wrote: I suspected something was up when his CompuServe email bounced back as undeliverable. I tried dialing into his BBS but the line was busy.
Tulving's possible bankruptcy has been discussed since the end of January on various gold forums.  It looks like he may have been running a type of Ponzi scheme where new patron's money was used to buy gold for people who had purchased earlier.  Essentially he had no inventory at all despite his website stating all items were "in stock."

http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthread. ... rom-3-4-14
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:25 pm

I remember trying to contact Mr Tulving by email and he sent me a nasty note saying that I had to use the phone, even for non-order inquiries. I then asked him why had an email address posted. That was the end of my Tulving experience and I thank him for it, b/c I moved on to a perfect dealer: my family members' numismatics guy.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Sometimes I wonder about Goldmart because they never seem to have inventory, seem to move around a lot, and are very slow fulfilling orders. What about the other major online dealers?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:19 am

Yes, that seems like a good idea. Along with some tips on how to avoid losing money when these firms go bankrupt or play games.
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am

Reub wrote: Sometimes I wonder about Goldmart because they never seem to have inventory, seem to move around a lot, and are very slow fulfilling orders. What about the other major online dealers?
I've ordered a number of times from GoldMart and have gotten excellent turnarounds.  Then my last order from them took over 3 weeks for delivery.  That and the late deliveries reported here and elsewhere led me to try Provident.  Ordered some Eagles at $40 over spot and got 3 day turnaround on 2 orders.  You might want to check them out. 
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks, I will. My last Goldmart order took over a month and they kept making excuses about their computers. I was wondering if I was being scammed but I eventually received it.
Xtal

Post by Xtal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 pm

I also had a really slow order from Goldmart.  I switched to Apmex and they seem fine.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Desert wrote: Of course I should note that all my physical gold holdings were tragically lost in a high speed train collision in China. 
It would be interesting to start a thread with all of the interesting and tragic ways in which gold collections have been lost or destroyed.
I was a huge gold coin enthusiast, but then one day I went to Long John Silvers and got into an extended conversation with the guy working the register using nothing but "pirate-speak."  At one point, he looked outside at my car and said:

"Aye mate, must a been a real scallywag what sold you that barnacle barge; I'd have a hempen halter for any son of a biscuit eater who hornswaggled me with a rusty anchor like that." 

Then he looked over at my wife, who was getting napkins and ketchup, and said:

"Aye, yer a cleverer Jack Tar than I figured, but I see yer play now.  Yer a rusty anchor collector!  Well, a tip of me hat to you sir; that well-worn lass is a perfect complement to that piece of shit you pulled up in."

In a sudden passion, I said:

"Well you be an ignorant scurvy dog if you think that blasphemous bilge pouring out of yer hatch isn't a bunch a empty chatter from a dim squiffy.  Truth is, mate, I got a hoard a gold in me backyard that'd make yer meager pay here at this chum bucket look like a sack a sand."

And two weeks later someone came into my backyard, dug up my gold, and made off with it.

And that's exactly what happened.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I had stashed all of my gold in a compartment in my small intestine, but then one night I went to Tijuana and got drunk and the next morning I woke up in the desert feeling groggy and felt a pain in my side and noticed a small incision.  I had apparently been drugged and all of my gold had been surgically removed.

:(
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 pm

How do we know that unscrupulous outfits like Tulving aren't selling some counterfit coins if they are about to go under?
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 pm

[quote=Reub]How do we know that unscrupulous outfits like Tulving aren't selling some counterfit coins if they are about to go under?[/quote]

We cannot know who is or is not selling counterfeit coins, based on their scruples or lack thereof.  In fact, one could imagine that any counterfeits sold by the most scrupulous vendors would be the "best" counterfeits and therefore the most difficult to detect.

Knowledge of the product is the only way and even then it is tough.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Desert wrote: MT, you speak some pretty good pirate.  It's not an easy language to learn.
I took two semesters of buccaneer dialects in college, and that really gave me a strong foundation.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 am

MediumTex wrote:
Desert wrote: MT, you speak some pretty good pirate.  It's not an easy language to learn.
I took two semesters of buccaneer dialects in college, and that really gave me a strong foundation.
Please, please.  "Pirate" and "Buccaneer" are forms of hate speech!  The proper term is "Gentleperson of Fortune". :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:17 am

WildAboutHarry wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
Please, please.  "Pirate" and "Buccaneer" are forms of hate speech!  The proper term is "Gentleperson of Fortune". :)
Given that American sports teams tend to be named after things that we were frightened of in the past (e.g., in football there are Giants, Bears, Lions, Jaguars, Panthers, Buccaneers, Redskins, Chiefs, and Raiders), I wonder if in the future the following will be popular names for sports teams:

The Terrorists
The Evildoers
The Liberals
The Insurgents
The Assault Weapons
The Radicals

Well folks, tonight we've got a matchup for the ages.  The undefeated Milwaukee Evildoers are facing the Tampa Bay Liberals.  The Liberals have two losses, one to the Atlanta Assault Weapons and one to the Nashville Terrorists, but many are still picking the Liberals to go all the way this year, though the Evildoers would probably take issue with that appraisal.  Whatever happens to tonight, though, each team will have to make a quick recovery because the Liberals will meet the Detroit Insurgents next week and the Evildoers are going to try to work a little evil on the Kansas City Radicals.
Last edited by MediumTex on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Desert wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
MT, I figured as much.  I wish more universities would wake up and offer such programs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve struggled over some very difficult concept in life, and have desperately wanted to go see how it was described in the original Pirate writings.  But alas, I can’t understand a lick of it. Sometimes I feel like a guy that’s blind in one eye.
I had a couple of really outstanding professors who made all the difference.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm

MT:

El Camino College (southern CA) went the other direction for a mascot in the mid-1960s.  The Ostrich.  They even tried to hatch an ostrich egg.  The ostrich was to be (or was, I don't remember if they were able to hatch the thing) called ECCO.  El Camino College Ostrich. 

I believe the school colors where pink and white lace.

And of course, UC Santa Cruz's mascot is the Banana Slug.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Let us not forget that great symbol of Canadian pride the beaver. Would love to see The Mighty Beavs face off against The Ostriches!

What has this thread come to? Perhaps someone can skillfully tie it all together.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Desert wrote: ...wanted to go see how it was described in the original Pirate writings.  But alas, I can’t understand a lick of it. Sometimes I feel like a guy that’s blind in one eye.
Don't give up, man. You are almost there!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
It would be interesting to start a thread with all of the interesting and tragic ways in which gold collections have been lost or destroyed.
The kid who played "Mikey" in the Life cereal commercials in the 1970's met an untimely death when he drank a can of Coca-Cola shortly after accidently swallowing 3 gold coins.  The passivated Au2O3 layer on the 1/4 oz Kruggerands reacted with the carbonic acid in the Coca-Cola, causing a violent explosion in Mikey's stomach -- and killed him instantly.  His parents were able to recover the gold, however, and it was buried along with him in an unmarked grave in Yonkers, NY.
So I guess this wasn't exactly a tale of lost gold.  Oh well.  It is sad, nonetheless.
You mean that Mikey's gone? I just can't bear it!  :'(