Report from the trenches

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5292
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Report from the trenches

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am

(from bogleheads)

I’ve read several posts in this thread with the them of “this is no big deal” or that we are overreacting.

I’m a doctor in New York. I work at a large tertiary care hospital. In the last 4 days the COVID census is up to about 20% of our beds. 2/3 these are ICU patients. Staff are being pulled from totally unrelated specialties to care for these patients. All other clinical programs are mothballed. Unless you are dying, you probably cannot get care from a specialist. Non Intensivists are taking crash courses on ventilator management. If you come down with this virus you may very well be cared for by a gynecologist.

This is unprecedented. We have never seen anything remotely like this. We have been at this for about a week and we are at capacity. Despite what you may read, young people get very ill too. They may not be dying at the same rate as older folk, but a week on the ventilator will scar you for life and take 6 months to recover from.

This is just the beginning. We anticipate this to worsen over the next 2-4 weeks. Doctors and nurses are getting sick.

Every doctor I know with half a brain is scared out of their whits.

Listen to me.
This is not the flu.

Please stay home no matter what the president says.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am

That would be a legit argument against my idea of letting medical people opt out of being generalists. Having some slack in the line for emergencies.

On the other hand, the gal who only knows how to do rhinoplasties would have a pretty good excuse for staying out of the trenches >:D
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 9594
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 am

Reading this gives me the shivers all over again. I’ve only been going out about once a week. I was going to sneak out to get some food items I missed, but forget it.
We have joggers coming by and breathing on anyone who’s otherwise careful, just to make sure we all have a chance to get infected. Screw it.
New drinking game: have a drink every time someone on the radio or TV news says "data"
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1670
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 am

It is going to be real interesting to see how this develops over the next couple weeks.

Part of me certainly wants to agree with Trump's optimism. The other part is sitting here swallowing 10x more than normal wondering if I have a sore throat. It is quite a constant low-medium level of stress.

I rode my bike to work today. At least there are very few cars on the road. We are considered an essential business, we do some military work. About 35 people in the office normally, this week about 6-7. So distancing is not an issue. At least it allows me to mentally seem like everything is normal for 8 hours a day.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 9594
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am

p.s. Did they delete it on bh? I can’t find it there.
Found it.
New drinking game: have a drink every time someone on the radio or TV news says "data"
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3014
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by ochotona » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 am

My sis is 66 years old, a retired MD with medical conditions herself. Her hubby is older and more frail than her. The County called her and asked her if she was available for service. She did not accept, the last time I heard.

On the other hand... I am an essential worker! Energy & IT vital infrastructure. Working from home.

essential_employee.jpg
essential_employee.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 184 times
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5292
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am

ochotona wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 am
My sis is 66 years old, a retired MD with medical conditions herself. Her hubby is older and more frail than her. The County called her and asked her if she was available for service. She did not accept, the last time I heard.

On the other hand... I am an essential worker! Energy & IT vital infrastructure. Working from home.


essential_employee.jpg
My wife is a retired RN.
She would be willing to help out but figured I would object.
I said "You're not doing it until there is a reliable treatment."
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by Xan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am

I have a friend who's an ER doc in Boston, whose wife is a doctor up there too. They've had to send their kids away to go live with their grandparents, because childcare (with schools closed) was an amalgamation of 8 different babysitters, plus the docs' high chance of exposure.

I commented that sending the kids away sounded like WWII.

Reply:
It feels like WWII for sure. We aren't swamped yet, but feels imminent. It's weird going to work everyday knowing that the majority of your patients will be coming in with concerns of having this virus that could possibly kill us if we get it. Just a strange feeling that your life is at risk constantly at work.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 am
It is going to be real interesting to see how this develops over the next couple weeks.

Part of me certainly wants to agree with Trump's optimism. The other part is sitting here swallowing 10x more than normal wondering if I have a sore throat. It is quite a constant low-medium level of stress.

I rode my bike to work today. At least there are very few cars on the road. We are considered an essential business, we do some military work. About 35 people in the office normally, this week about 6-7. So distancing is not an issue. At least it allows me to mentally seem like everything is normal for 8 hours a day.
My organization is also considered an essential business because we are both in the financial industry (provide financing to small businesses) and we are part of the food production chain (having a food processing center). For the office side of the business we are coordinating all our schedules so that (in theory) only one person is in them at a time. I'm not going there at all! Nowhere as much out of concern for me as much just do not want to be any part of a chain that exponentially affects others.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am
I have a friend who's an ER doc in Boston, whose wife is a doctor up there too. They've had to send their kids away to go live with their grandparents, because childcare (with schools closed) was an amalgamation of 8 different babysitters, plus the docs' high chance of exposure.

I commented that sending the kids away sounded like WWII.

Reply:
It feels like WWII for sure. We aren't swamped yet, but feels imminent. It's weird going to work everyday knowing that the majority of your patients will be coming in with concerns of having this virus that could possibly kill us if we get it. Just a strange feeling that your life is at risk constantly at work.
Several weeks ago I started making the comment that we've not had anything like this that has directly affected the lives of so many people since World War II. Now in some aspects this has surpassed all in our history, including all the wars. I do not remember ever reading wherein almost all schools were closed and so many workers were ordered not to work. Conversely during World War II we pulled the women out of the home and into the work force.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by Maddy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a friend with an obvious surgical emergency. She was literally turned away from the ER, then sat in the ER of another city for nearly 6 hours while surrounded (immune compromised due to chemo) by people hacking like crazy. She eventually received surgery, in another town, although the post-surgical care was so astoundingly negligent that additional issues promptly surfaced. She is now out of the country and is finally receiving a reasonable amount of care. Getting here there was no small feat.

Here in this town, where there are no known cases of CV-19, just try to get seen by a doctor for something non-CoVid-related. Doctors are literally sitting at home, as their practices have been ordered closed. One guy with a backbone is seeing patients on the sly.

I'm sorry, but nothing here is adding up.
CT-Scott
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:39 am

Re: Report from the trenches

Post by CT-Scott » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am
I'm sorry, but nothing here is adding up.
Please elaborate (conspiracy-theory?)

Also, just curious...is your avatar photo an actual photo of a house/cabin that you own?
Post Reply