Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm

"Coronavirus Survey Reveals Americans in Debt, Not Saving or Investing Ahead of Outbreak"
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... -outbreak/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Not the Onion or the Babylon Bee

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

After 9/11, I read an article, probably in the New York Times. The author said that he was a long-time ant (saver) and that his friends had been grasshoppers (spendthrifts). The whole point of his op-ed was that maybe it’s good to be a grasshopper. I was mad.
Statue in the square /Meant so much when it first stood
People come from far and near/ To bless them if, bless them if it would
Strange times are here
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm
After 9/11, I read an article, probably in the New York Times. The author said that he was a long-time ant (saver) and that his friends had been grasshoppers (spendthrifts). The whole point of his op-ed was that maybe it’s good to be a grasshopper. I was mad.
I recognized long ago that our financial system is set up to cater to the spendthrift and penalize the saver.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm
dualstow wrote:
I recognized long ago that our financial system is set up to cater to the spendthrift and penalize the saver.

Vinny
Yes, that's why people who spend all of their money have better lives than those that save it.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
Yes, that's why people who spend all of their money have better lives than those that save it.
That is not my experience. The people I know who spend all of their money have a good time until they run into any trouble at all; then they get frantic.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:58 pm

All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
That is not my experience. The people I know who spend all of their money have a good time until they run into any trouble at all; then they get frantic.
You took the words out of my fingers! And, they suffer far more stress! Many times constant stress over $$$$!

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am

What's more, the ant who prudently stocks up for a "rainy day" over the course of a decade or more (typically driving a 20-year-old car while his grasshopper neighbor pulls into the driveway with a brand new, decked out truck) is vilified for being a "hoarder."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am
What's more, the ant who prudently stocks up for a "rainy day" over the course of a decade or more (typically driving a 20-year-old car while his grasshopper neighbor pulls into the driveway with a brand new, decked out truck) is vilified for being a "hoarder."
It is funny how that works. Inevitably, the grasshopper asks the “greedy” ant for a loan. The grasshopper didn’t save because “I’m not obsessed with money. There’s more to life.” (Like spending!) — not a personal anecdote, but it happened to my friend.
Statue in the square /Meant so much when it first stood
People come from far and near/ To bless them if, bless them if it would
Strange times are here
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

Maddy wrote:
I assume that just by virtue of people having joined this forum that it would be overwhelmingly composed of "ants" over "grasshopper"? I am the ultimate ant!

Vinny
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am
Maddy wrote:
It is funny how that works. Inevitably, the grasshopper asks the “greedy” ant for a loan. The grasshopper didn’t save because “I’m not obsessed with money. There’s more to life.” (Like spending!) — not a personal anecdote, but it happened to my friend.
Yes, that is very common.
Fortunately I've been spared that for the most part.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
Maddy wrote:
I assume that just by virtue of people having joined this forum that it would be overwhelmingly composed of "ants" over "grasshopper"? I am the ultimate ant!

Vinny
I would imagine so.