VTI/EDV

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

VTI/EDV

Post by AdamA »

What do people think about a VTI/EDV portfolio.  50/50, with rebalancing bands of 25% and 75%?

It would be held in a Roth IRA with Vanguard, so there would be no taxes or trading fees.
Last edited by AdamA on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: VTI/EDV

Post by murphy_p_t »

what's your premise for market direction? with EDV being sometimes moving 1.5xTLT, this seems like you're expecting further declines in stock market?
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

murphy_p_t wrote: what's your premise for market direction? with EDV being sometimes moving 1.5xTLT, this seems like you're expecting further declines in stock market?
No idea.

Pascal
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I love the pair of stocks & long-term treasuries, and as a VP in a Roth I think that's a decent plan.  EDV is pretty volatile, though.  Why not TLT? Or a 25/25 split?
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

This sounds like a Boglehead portfolio.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

moda0306 wrote: I love the pair of stocks & long-term treasuries, and as a VP in a Roth I think that's a decent plan.  EDV is pretty volatile, though.  Why not TLT? Or a 25/25 split?
I like the 50/50 split for the sake of simplicity.  The (very limited) backtesting I did didn't have a lot of volatility with that mix.  Not very scientific, I know.

Pascal
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Reub wrote: This sounds like a Boglehead portfolio.
Kind of, but I think they tend to use funds like AGG or BND that track a broader bond index, not just long US bonds.

Pascal
cabronjames

Post by cabronjames »

Adam1226 wrote:
Reub wrote: This sounds like a Boglehead portfolio.
Kind of, but I think they tend to use funds like AGG or BND that track a broader bond index, not just long US bonds.
iirc, I posted previously about why the Bogleheads don't consider 30 yr T-Bond asset class as their "Bond" asset, as opposed to that Intermediate Bond Index BND.  IIRC, VTI had more of an inverse correlation with TLT & EDV, than VTI did with BND.
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro »

What about MDY/EDV, more zig and zag in opposite directions. More opportunities to sell high and buy low on the rebalancing, no?