Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4047
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 am
I'm a bit surprised at Oregon and California. I went to my parent's over the weekend, and where they live I don't recall seeing anyone in a mask. Life was back to normal and it was very pleasant. I haven't experienced that in months because I live in a silly state.
Still mandatory in Massachusetts. And, whenever I've been in the public I'm seeing 100% compliance, which presumably also includes all Trump voters / constitutionalists / liberty & freedom people / anyone else who believes they should not be forced to wear a mask.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7023
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by technovelist » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 am
I'm a bit surprised at Oregon and California. I went to my parent's over the weekend, and where they live I don't recall seeing anyone in a mask. Life was back to normal and it was very pleasant. I haven't experienced that in months because I live in a silly state.
Still mandatory in Massachusetts. And, whenever I've been in the public I'm seeing 100% compliance, which presumably also includes all Trump voters / constitutionalists / liberty & freedom people / anyone else who believes they should not be forced to wear a mask.

Vinny
I think they have all fled to less insane states.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by l82start » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:49 am

CA hasn't had full compliance from day one, the homeless population was exempt, and a lot of people were slow to start wearing, we do have plenty of loony tunes driving around in closed cars or out side alone with masks. and there is full compliance in grocery stores now starting within the last month or so - rioters of course are exempt, so are protesters, unless you are protesting business closures or petty authoritarianism.. most of the people i interact with are half ass wearing (carrying a mask around but ignoring the rule unless pressured)..
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:41 am

NYC is mostly big on masks, except when I go to my community garden which is in a minority neighborhood. I see very few people there wearing masks, and about half of those are wearing them ineffectively (e.g. under chin). So I feel free to enjoy life without the mask - but not in my neighborhood, where going maskless outdoors and simply keeping my distance gets me angry stares and comments.

As far as the danger of COVID....I think NYC already has sufficient herd immunity, plus the virus is done ripping through vulnerable pockets like nursing homes. Per the city website, there were just 7 hospitalizations for COVID on the last day of reporting. And in the previous few weeks the numbers have lingered at around 50 or fewer per day. In a city of 8 million...well, maybe 6 million currently given how many people have left. (NY is super lucky that the census count happened when it did.)

I think what's happening in Arizona, Texas, Florida and California is the same as NY, just delayed because it took longer for the virus to get there and take root. Andrew Cuomo actually predicted weeks ago that this would happen. If our experience is at all instructive, it took us 2 months to ramp up, peak and come back down. And about 3 weeks to hit the peak.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by pugchief » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:27 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:41 am
NYC is mostly big on masks, except when I go to my community garden which is in a minority neighborhood. I see very few people there wearing masks, and about half of those are wearing them ineffectively (e.g. under chin). So I feel free to enjoy life without the mask - but not in my neighborhood, where going maskless outdoors and simply keeping my distance gets me angry stares and comments.

As far as the danger of COVID....I think NYC already has sufficient herd immunity, plus the virus is done ripping through vulnerable pockets like nursing homes. Per the city website, there were just 7 hospitalizations for COVID on the last day of reporting. And in the previous few weeks the numbers have lingered at around 50 or fewer per day. In a city of 8 million...well, maybe 6 million currently given how many people have left. (NY is super lucky that the census count happened when it did.)

I think what's happening in Arizona, Texas, Florida and California is the same as NY, just delayed because it took longer for the virus to get there and take root. Andrew Cuomo actually predicted weeks ago that this would happen. If our experience is at all instructive, it took us 2 months to ramp up, peak and come back down. And about 3 weeks to hit the peak.
So based on these two statements, is it your opinion as an MD that there will be no second wave?
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm

You can't have a second wave until you've had a first wave. The states now experiencing surges in cases never had a first wave, or maybe I was in the bathroom and missed it? Anyway, I would like to know where these cases are coming from. Are they majority nursing homes & chronically ill, as was the case here? The news articles somehow manage to avoid that question. And I'll say it again: of the people hospitalized in NYC during the later part of our "first wave", very few had jobs or took public transportation.

The answer to your question for NYC is "no" - I don't believe there will be a second wave here regardless of activity, mask wearing etc. If the mass protests didn't budge the numbers, I can't imagine what will.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4047
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 am
I'm a bit surprised at Oregon and California. I went to my parent's over the weekend, and where they live I don't recall seeing anyone in a mask. Life was back to normal and it was very pleasant. I haven't experienced that in months because I live in a silly state.
Still mandatory in Massachusetts. And, whenever I've been in the public I'm seeing 100% compliance, which presumably also includes all Trump voters / constitutionalists / liberty & freedom people / anyone else who believes they should not be forced to wear a mask.

Vinny
I think they have all fled to less insane states.
Definitely not. There are not a few of those I describe above who live in my county.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7023
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by technovelist » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:41 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 am
I'm a bit surprised at Oregon and California. I went to my parent's over the weekend, and where they live I don't recall seeing anyone in a mask. Life was back to normal and it was very pleasant. I haven't experienced that in months because I live in a silly state.
Still mandatory in Massachusetts. And, whenever I've been in the public I'm seeing 100% compliance, which presumably also includes all Trump voters / constitutionalists / liberty & freedom people / anyone else who believes they should not be forced to wear a mask.

Vinny
I think they have all fled to less insane states.
Definitely not. There are not a few of those I describe above who live in my county.

Vinny
It's only a matter of time.
Especially if the Democrats somehow steal the election in November.
If that happens, many people will be fleeing the country.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm

I bought some silver krugerrands and a 1/10th ounce Maple this past week from my local dealer. I ended up getting the very last 1/10th ounce piece they had in stock. They are otherwise backordered for several weeks for all of the small denominations.

Those krugerrands are absolutely gorgeous! The 1/10th ounce Maple is dated back to 2008. I wonder what kind of holding history this piece has. It's kind of cool to have gold from the same year as the GFC.
silvergold.png
silvergold.png (1.91 MiB) Viewed 380 times
Price is what you pay; value is what you get.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm

In other news, I recently got a nice message on the Facebook dating platform from a woman 23 years my senior. We have a date on Tuesday. I'm equal parts curious, bemused, and actually kind of scared to be going on a date with a woman old enough to legitimately be my mother. We'll see. I am definitely looking to be seeing someone who is mature, so maybe my wish is being granted. Ashton Kutcher did have Demi Moore...

My father has been back from China for a couple weeks now and all is well. I don't know how to explain it, but the man always seems to look younger upon coming from a recent vacation. Fountain of youth.

Speaking of staying young, do any of you guys have experience with minoxidil (Rogaine)? I started noticing a year or two ago that my hair was thinning out. I started taking dutasteride (marketed as Avodart) to stop the hair loss, and it seems to have worked just fine. However, that has only stopped hair loss, it hasn't given me any regrowth. My doctor tells me I have a small window of opportunity to stimulate the regrowth of the follicles that have miniaturized via minoxidil. I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Price is what you pay; value is what you get.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4047
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm
In other news, I recently got a nice message on the Facebook dating platform from a woman 23 years my senior. We have a date on Tuesday. I'm equal parts curious, bemused, and actually kind of scared to be going on a date with a woman old enough to legitimately be my mother. We'll see. I am definitely looking to be seeing someone who is mature, so maybe my wish is being granted. Ashton Kutcher did have Demi Moore...

My father has been back from China for a couple weeks now and all is well. I don't know how to explain it, but the man always seems to look younger upon coming from a recent vacation. Fountain of youth.

Speaking of staying young, do any of you guys have experience with minoxidil (Rogaine)? I started noticing a year or two ago that my hair was thinning out. I started taking dutasteride (marketed as Avodart) to stop the hair loss, and it seems to have worked just fine. However, that has only stopped hair loss, it hasn't given me any regrowth. My doctor tells me I have a small window of opportunity to stimulate the regrowth of the follicles that have miniaturized via minoxidil. I'm wondering if it's worth it.
When I asked my doctor about Rogaine sometime in the mid-80s, he told me I'd be better off taking the money I'd be using to buy and, instead, investing it!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 pm

When I asked my doctor about Rogaine sometime in the mid-80s, he told me I'd be better off taking the money I'd be using to buy and, instead, investing it!

Vinny
Do you remember how much Rogaine cost back then compared to today? I believe back in the 80s it still would have been on patent? Perhaps lower prices changes the calculus.
Price is what you pay; value is what you get.
Post Reply